syslog/syslogd questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
helice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 22:01    Post subject: syslog/syslogd questions Reply with quote
If someone will explain the following to me, I'd be happy to make the Wiki page on syslog clearer and more up-to-date.

First, I am running DD-WRT v24-sp2 std 13064M on WRT54G v.3 It is running as a REPEATER BRIDGE and has the IP 192.168.1.2

1. On the Services page there is a System Log option which allows you to also type in a remote server IP. How is this connected to the Security page "Log Managment" options. Are these two different logs or are they the same log? If they are different, what is each for?

2. I want to log all traffic on my router to an Ubuntu Server v10.04LTS. How do I do this (i) on the DD-WRT side, (ii) on the Ubuntu side? I think that Ubuntu runs rsyslogd instead of sysklogd.

3. The only messages I am getting are these type of messages in /var/log/messages auth.log and user.log - which seem to deal with status messages from DD-WRT instead of traffic messages.

Code:
Dec  7 17:30:58 192.168.1.2 syslog: vpn modules : vpn modules successfully unloaded

Code:
auth.log:Dec 10 10:28:56 192.168.1.2 dropbear[20546]: exit after auth (root): Exited normally

4. Enabling SNMP seems to have something to do with logging too. If this is true, please explain it (and I'll update the Wiki).

Thanks.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: