Universal Wireless Repeater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
chune
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
for a repeater to work properly, it needs to be on the same channel as the base station
Sponsor
VitaminX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
chune wrote:
for a repeater to work properly, it needs to be on the same channel as the base station

And this will not cause any interference? I forgot to mention that the two networks have different SSIDs and I use WPA on the repeater network. Should I use the same SSID on both networks, and no encryption (or same WEP key) on both of them?
Mandarina
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a wrt54gl with the dd-wrt v24-sp2 configured as a repeater bridge (repeating the wifi signal of my main router).

If I connect my laptop with a wire to the wrt54gl, it works perfectly. However, if I try to connect the laptop to the wrt54gl in a wireless way, I cannot connect to the internet. I see the network and connect to it but that is all I can do. I cannot browse any website. I have no access to the internet.

Any idea? I guess it is something simple but I am not able to find the problem.

PS: Both routers are using WPA-PSK.
VitaminX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mandarina, from what I've read I think you can't have the primary router working with WPA encryption. You should use WEP or no encryption, otherwise the repeater router wouldn't connect to the source router.
Mandarina
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will check it, VitaminX. But the point is that the repeater seems to be working OK if I connect it to the laptop with a ethernet cable.
wolfepack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 22:17    Post subject: Stumped In Austin Reply with quote
I have wrtg54 V5 and flashed the autoap version as recommended on the sourceforge page by the DDWRT standards on the ddwrt wiki, how to flash.

The Control panel and everything seems to be working fine. I can see the WAN on my standard unflashed router with the RoadRunner IP etc.

I use wireshark to view my network. Everything seems to be talking. I use WEP on both routers. Routers have different IP addresses. ddwrt control panel shows connected to my home network SSID.

... but I can not get online through my bridge???

DID IT... ALL I HAD TO DO IS DISABLE THE SPI FIREWALL. My Main router has a hardware firewall and my PC has a software firewall and antivirus/spyware, so that should be cool.
Mandarina
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mandarina wrote:
I will check it, VitaminX. But the point is that the repeater seems to be working OK if I connect it to the laptop with a ethernet cable.

I have checked removing the security for both main a repeater routers. No improvements in the functionality.

If I connect the repeater and the laptop with a ethernet cable, everything works OK. If I try to do it wireless, I cannot even access to the configuration of the repeater (wrt54GL) using the browser (firefox) but the laptop is in the network and the power of the signal is 96%.
stereoa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:16    Post subject: Wireless repeater Reply with quote
I can't get internet on my wireless repeater. I tried changing the channel it uses, but that option isn't available. Any suggestions? I can't get internet in the back half of my house and I thought this might help.. Sad
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:54    Post subject: Re: Wireless repeater Reply with quote
stereoa wrote:
Any suggestions? I can't get internet in the back half of my ass....

Yes, you prolly need repeater bridge instead.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
TUXFan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 18:57    Post subject: Dual Band Universal Repeater Reply with quote
Hi guys,

according to:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Wireless_Repeater

Universal Wireless Repeater mode, will sacrifice half of the bandwidth available from the primary router for clients wirelessly connected to the repeater. This is a result of the repeater taking turns talking to not just one partner, but to two, and having to relay the traffic between them.

Can i avoid this using a dual band wlan router? dir-825 for example? Also look at my attachment for my idea. Does DD-WRT support this feature? Lancom does support that with a feature called "relais".

Repeater_Bridge.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.75 KB
 Viewed:  21062 Time(s)

Repeater_Bridge.jpg

Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 20:12    Post subject: Re: Dual Band Universal Repeater Reply with quote
TUXFan wrote:

Can i avoid this using a dual band wlan router?
Yes or 2 routers wired togather cane be used. One Client the other WAP.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
D34thbr1ng3r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone, noob here.

Just bought a new E4200 router to enjoy dual band but the 5ghz signal is just too weak. I'm looking for a wifi repeater in the 5ghz band for more than a week but found none.

I was wondering if there's another way, like buy any dual band and use the dd-wrt firmwares to use as a repeater at least for the 5ghz signal, is that possible?
D34thbr1ng3r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
any help please?
Catrinisin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
D34thbr1ng3r wrote:
Hi everyone, noob here.

Just bought a new E4200 router to enjoy dual band but the 5ghz signal is just too weak. I'm looking for a wifi repeater in the 5ghz band for more than a week but found none.

I was wondering if there's another way, like buy any dual band and use the dd-wrt firmwares to use as a repeater at least for the 5ghz signal, is that possible?

Yes this should be possible using dd-wrt firmware. I haven't personally tried it using a 5 GHz router, but as long as it shows as supported in the Router Database then you should be fine.

Use these instructions to configure your dd-wrt router:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
helice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 21:33    Post subject: Universal Wireless Repater Reply with quote
VitaminX wrote:
Mandarina, from what I've read I think you can't have the primary router working with WPA encryption. You should use WEP or no encryption, otherwise the repeater router wouldn't connect to the source router.

I have a WRT54G working as a repeater bridge AND it has WPA encryption. It is not a **universal** wireless repeater. I have it set to the same channel and SSID at my primary router.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 25 of 26
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: