Universal Wireless Repeater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Done it. WRT54G v4 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) std
(SVN revision 13064)

Host AP: WEP 64bit.
Virtual AP: WPA Personal.

Change IP Address of bridge AP and log in again to WEB int.
Change Wireless security to match HOST AP.
Join Host IP from sitesurvey page.
Create Virtual SSID. Change Virtual SSID security.
Join newly created Virtual SSID from laptop.

PD: It took a while Repeater AP to join HOST AP. New IP address should appear as WAN IP if Host AP have DHCP Server.

PD2: Newer releases r13637 and r13525 for DLINK DIR-300 A1 does not have Repeater/Repeater Bridge funcctions.
Sponsor
dfsp_spirit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 14:30    Post subject: success with WRT54GL (WPA/TKIP-PSK setup) Reply with quote
Just wanted to say thanks for this great guide!

I followed it and successfully turned my LinkSys WRT54GL into a repeater for my WPA/TKIP-PSK WLAN. I used the "Mini-Build required for inital flashing via WEB" (dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin) as suggested and installed it according to the hardware-specific instructions for this model. Then I just followed the guide.

(Btw: this really shouldn't matter but the other access point I used [the one that broadcasts the WLAN to be repeated] was a HorstBox.)

Works like a charm. Thanks heaps guys!
canuck12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:28    Post subject: Universal Repeater Reply with quote
Hi! I got a WRT54G v7. AP. But i could get working it as Universal Repeater.
Is there a way to get it work as Uni. Repeater?
Help me please!!!

Thanks
Blase
hottshot104
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 21:09    Post subject: HUGE problem with wireless security on repeater Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I'm really about to rip all my damn hair out with this issue...

Okay, so I have two DD-WRT'ed Linksys WRT54G routers, one in my room that wasn't being used and one in my parents' room, two floors up. I wanted to set up a wireless repeater, and plugged away using the Universal Wireless Repeater guide found on this site.

I got everything working, however ran into a problem when I tried setting up wireless security for the repeater.

I have a password on my parents' router, and have that inputted into the physical interface for my repeater, and the internet works fine wired or wireless...however as soon as I try to put a password on the virtual interface, I get hit with this message, "Windows could not connect to wireless connection".

I'm using Windows 7, if that matters.

Either way, I want to use my repeater, but won't do so if I'm broadcasting my SSID to my neighbors (they try to leech my internet).

PLEASE HELP! This is one thing out of an otherwise perfectly working process, and I've spent the better half of today (over 4 hours I know) trying to figure this out.
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 21:30    Post subject: Re: HUGE problem with wireless security on repeater Reply with quote
hottshot104 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Okay, so I have two DD-WRT'ed Linksys WRT54G routers, one in my room that wasn't being used and one in my parents' room, two floors up. I wanted to set up a wireless repeater, and plugged away using the Universal Wireless Repeater guide found on this site.

I got everything working, however ran into a problem when I tried setting up wireless security for the repeater.

I have a password on my parents' router, and have that inputted into the physical interface for my repeater, and the internet works fine wired or wireless...however as soon as I try to put a password on the virtual interface, I get hit with this message, "Windows could not connect to wireless connection".

Either way, I want to use my repeater, but won't do so if I'm broadcasting my SSID to my neighbors (they try to leech my internet).

PLEASE HELP! This is one thing out of an otherwise perfectly working process, and I've spent the better half of today (over 4 hours I know) trying to figure this out.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
hottshot104
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 21:38    Post subject: Re: HUGE problem with wireless security on repeater Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
hottshot104 wrote:
Hi everyone,

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Could you maybe explain a little bit about HOW this would help me?

From what I thought, a Bridge required the two routers to be connected via LAN cable. My router is two floors below the primary router.

*EDIT*

Hmm...Read a bit and I see where you're going with this...

Let me ask you something though. Why am I able to connect wirelessly now if I disable security settings?
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 22:33    Post subject: Re: HUGE problem with wireless security on repeater Reply with quote
hottshot104 wrote:

Let me ask you something though. Why am I able to connect wirelessly now if I disable security settings?

Dunno, don't know exactly what you have done, but the link I provided you it what you want.

hottshot104
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 22:43    Post subject: Re: HUGE problem with wireless security on repeater Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
hottshot104 wrote:

Dunno, don't know exactly what you have done, but the link I provided you it what you want.

**EDIT**

Okay, so now the reverse is happening.

Now I can connect wirelessly, but not with a wired connection. Why is that?

**EDIT 2**

Okay, so I connected wired into the internet port since I checked the "switch WAN to LAN" box, and I get wired internet, but it's incredibly ridiculously slow. Any possible origins for this problem?
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 0:20    Post subject: Re: HUGE problem with wireless security on repeater Reply with quote
hottshot104 wrote:

Okay, so I connected wired into the internet port since I checked the "switch WAN to LAN" box, and I get wired internet, but it's incredibly ridiculously slow. Any possible origins for this problem?

You should really start your own thread since this really doesn't have anything to do with a UWR.

Hard rest as per note one of the peacock thread and reconfigure as described in the link provided.

Fuchur777
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 15:01    Post subject: WRT320N as Repeater Reply with quote
As I followed this thread to set up my router as a repeater and it asked to place feedback on this page here is my set-up.

1 Belkin N+ router as default attached to modem.
1 Linksys WRT320N as a Repeater (or Wireless Access Point)

Left the Belkin as comes out of teh box with security password though...

Followed instructions as from here step 1-7 to patch my WRT320N to DD-WRT

Step 5 I used this version of DD_WRT

I use Firefox in general but the save/apply in DD_WRT does not seem to work then.
Switching to Safari (Or IE according to other threads) solved this issue for me.

Then I followed the steps as in the thread that made me post in this one and all is up and running.

Thanks for the good work, keep it up!
somo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im trying to set up a repeater and leave the SSID field blank. now I get a pop up that says "You must input a SSID" on build 12476 which is old but the newest Ive worked with.

I havnt had this problem on older builds, those would let me leave it blank. is there a workarround? Im sure its probably somewhere here or on the autoap thread but if someone knows it off the top of there head it would save me alot of time.

thanks
turbozguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 21:30    Post subject: HELP! Reply with quote
I'm using a Netgear WDNR3700 and I just downloaded the lastest version firmware. I would like to use it as a universal repeater, but under wireless modes it isn't listed. How would I set it up??

thanks!
chune
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, my repeater travels from the shop to home with me throughout the day. Both of these networks are secured via WPA. Is there a way to add some "preferred networks" functionality so that the repeater will connect to them first if they are in range? The problem here is saving the ssid (more likely the base station MAC) and WPA keys and trying them first BEFORE just repeating the open network with the best signal. Any input is greatly appreciated!
chune
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
whoops, just found this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Autoap
EDIT: AutoAP only supports WEP encryption which is a gaping security hole, so the search continues... This thread had some more updates on AutoAP, however WPA is still not supported.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47227

Does anybody know of an AutoAP script that supports encryption standards developed this century??
VitaminX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a UWR running on the Linksys WRT54G2 1.0 router. I use the dd-wrt.v24-10709_NEWD_micro.bin rom. I followed the thread on UWR and did everything in it, and it worked, HOWEWER I was not able to change the wireless channel of the repeater network since the "Wireless channel" drop-down list dissappears, as soon as press the "Apply" button, when "Repeater" mode is chosen.

I tried to set the channel of the repeater network by choosing a channel while still in AP mode, that is before I choose Repeater mode and press Apply, but that did not work.

What I have now are two networks, the source network and the repeater network, both running on the same channel. I do not want them to interfere with each other, that is why I want to change the channel of the repeater network.

What should I do to change the channel of the repeater network?

If there is any misunderstanding or something that is not clear enough I will explain it. Just ask me.

Thank you in advance.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 24 of 26
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: