Per-user Live Down/Upload Rate Monitoring [No PC needed!]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
roady
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
got the hang of this.. can see live stats.

I want to use the startup script to make sure that if my .db file is not there, it downloads from my server.

And also, it should take a backup every 15 mins to my server... how to go about this?
Sponsor
vortex05
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright I'm going to help all the newbs out.

I've given you guys an installer!

How to use?
Step 1.
Extract the zip to the root directory (or anywhere you wish) onto either:

a USB flash formatted to ext2 (recommended)
a SD card formatted on the mmc partition
a CIFS mount usually found in /tmp/mnt/smbshare on the router

Step 2.
run the installer (in this example we are in the sda1 usb storage but you can run it from anywhere you do not have to be in the same path as the installer to run this

root@router/tmp/mnt/sda1/#sh ./installer.sh

Step 3.
depending on where you have it installed you want to point to it in the gui on startup of that device for example if you are using usb storage and it automounts to /tmp/mnt/sda1/ you should set the startup script to /tmp/mnt/sda1/startup.sh

Done

Notes: You can place this on jffs storage however because I did not disable the backup job to jffs this will cause wear on your flash and is not recommended.

install.sh sets the correct permissions for the package and setups your "my page" tab it does not matter where you are install.sh looks for where it is in the file system to get the correct paths

startup.sh is portable it also is able to determine it's script directory from the script's path.

You should not move bwmon or rename it this is dependent you must update startup.sh however startup.sh will still work as long as bwmon is in the same folder it is.

MAC-PCnames.txt is setup with an example to help you along with figuring this out. You should use a Unix compatable text editor like notepad++ that understand Unix style EOL otherwise this functionality won't work.

If I have a bug please let me know I will try and update the scripts if there is an issue.

The recommended options for install is to USB storage, SD Storage or network CIFS storage. Be sure to use the automatically run script on mount for a hassle free startup and point to startup.sh
Jan1torEarl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't know if this has been mentioned, took me forever to figure it out, but the MAC addresses in your text file must be lowercase.

Awesome stuff here, a very useful script and database. Thanks!!!
lllgurulll
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stupid question I am sure, but do I have to have a Linux machine to install this addon to my buffalo router? I really need to have this feature but have no access to Linux. I have already tried booting to a Linux Live CD and my HP Laptop seems to have a block in place because I cannot get fully booted into a Live Linux at all. it always locks up on me whether it is CD or USB.

What baffles me is why DDWRT didn't come with this feature by default.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
remusator
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
lllgurulll wrote:
do I have to have a Linux machine to install this addon to my buffalo router?

No, you definitely don't. How old is your computer, maybe kernel isn't compatible with your notebook (PAE vs NON-PAE).

Just to make sure, have you dd-wrt installed on your router already ?
In case of positive answer, continue reading.
1, You need linux just to format usb thumb drive to EXT2 file system and copy scripts there. You can tell your friend to do that for you, or you could try to download older version for example of Ubuntu (some with NON PAE kernel, 32 bit preferred to maximize compatibility). Theoretically you could do this from windows, but it's very difficult and you have to install third party software, and success isn't guaranteed.

2, In this step you don't need linux at all. Download program called PUTTY, and connect your router. Run program, select TELNET, enter your router IP (probably 192.168.1.1) and run scripts.

Jan1torEarl wrote:
but the MAC addresses in your text file must be lowercase

Are you sure ? I listened to your advice, and it wasn't working. Then I analyzed source code, and found out, that it MUST BE IN UPPER CASE (capital letters). Now it's working.
corrinewinslow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
remusator wrote:

Jan1torEarl wrote:
but the MAC addresses in your text file must be lowercase

Are you sure ? I listened to your advice, and it wasn't working. Then I analyzed source code, and found out, that it MUST BE IN UPPER CASE (capital letters). Now it's working.

I used vortex05's installation and successfully used lowercase in the MAC-PCname.txt file.
danfloun79
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Likewise, lowercase for me. I used download on first page.
khiles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
i keep getting permission denied im using a 7gb usb stick flashed to ext3 and on a tplink 3600 v1

cheers
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
i've had this running for about 24 hours, and twice it seems to have lost statistics for a particular machine.

is this a known issue? i'm saving usage.db to the usb stick where the scripts reside. it always shows the live statistics, and it keeps track of each machines bandwidth for a while, but eventually the machine resets and cycles back to the bottom of the list.
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
it's been another 24 hours and the problem actually seems worse than I'd originally thought. i downloaded an ubuntu 900mb iso to test this, it kept track of it for a while, but almost immediately after the download completed the stats for the machine were reset and show 16.5kb downloaded. the problem persists for any machine that is on. if a machine downloads some file and is turned off, the stats remain until the machine is powered up again.

using this on an R7000, installed to /mnt/sda1 via 4GB usb flash.
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I rebooted the router a couple of days ago and this problem seemed to have disappeared. The router had also been taking a long time to authenticate (which was also fixed in the reboot), so this entire problem may have been something else entirely. Anyways, thanks for the script, it's incredibly useful.
marat569
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please help me out with an issue that I'm having!

Post over here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=903245#903245

Thanks a lot!
marat569
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another bug I've found:

I don't see users on my guest network (br1) that's an open wifi connection.

-
billsky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks it works
Xehelios
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 0:45    Post subject: Extracting information Reply with quote
I have a crazy request. I'm trying to benchmark something. This script has really helped me, but I was wondering if I could extract the information using a script in order to better quantify the measurements taken.

In other words, I'd like to know if instead of every 10 seconds, measurements could be done every second and I would extract the data using a script in Python for instance and save them on my hard drive.

I understand that it may be taxing on the router, but the tests would only last a short while. I've been trying to find a way, but I just can't figure out where to find the information that are displayed and how to get measurements more than just every 10 seconds.

Thanks a lot in advance for anyone who can help in this matter.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 11 of 12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Contributions Upload All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: