IPKG package repositories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
chillser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 17:17    Post subject: IPKG package repositories Reply with quote
Hi,

TL;DR: I have a ddwrt build with kernel 2.6.24.111, but ipkg is configured to fetch packages for 2.4.30, why?

Longer version:

First of all a bit 'thank you' to all developers working on this project and all users contributing information. Good to see such a great thing as ddwrt emerge from voluntary effort.

I own an E4200 and am very glad to have dumped the ugly crippled stock firmware and exchanged it with ddwrt. My initial build was 17598 and today I upgraded to 17990 (both brainslayer 'big' builds).

My main concern currently is to get my external hard drives mounted via USB. There's some issues regarding this which I will post in other threads, but what I absolutely fail to understand is the pre-configured package repositories for ipkg.

In my /etc/ipkg.conf, I find the following entries:

Code:

src whiterussian http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/packages
src non-free http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/packages/non-free
src backports http://downloads.openwrt.org/backports/rc5

I was looking for a way to get hfs+ drives mounted. The obvious way, I thought, would be to download and install the hfs.plus kernel module.

But when I look at the packages in the given repositories, I see that all the kmod packages are for kernel 2.4.30, while the firmware I use is running 2.6.24.

Maybe I got something wrong here, but if not, I need to get the kernel module for the exact same kernel version I am running. If I just use ipkg out of the box, this would not work, would it?

The build I flashed is merely a few days old, while the packages in the 'whiterussian' repo are almost five years old.

Is it just too much work to pre-configure the correct package repos for every build? Are there not always correct repos for a given build? I was trying to find a matching release on downloads.openwrt.org, but while in one or two builds the kernel version is close, it does not match in any of the available repos.

What can I do, as a user, to obtain a package that will work with my current build? What can I do as a developer to help improve the ddwrt project in this respect?

Thank you,

chillser
Sponsor
tdbone1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
my routers use K26 also
im using kismet that is from 2007

if i goto #kismet on freenode i cant even get support as the build is so old (5 years almost) the people in that channel wont even help

i mean kismet is one of the most popular packages isnt it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: