Netgear WNDR3300, repeater function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
dovesong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 15:19    Post subject: Re: Not connecting to w|0 as expected Reply with quote
steveg1701 wrote:

Double check the SSID and security information, make sure they match EXACTLY the main router. If you can find out what mode the main router uses (mixed, N only etc) then match that too. If that fails then do a 30-30-30 and make sure you modify only the settings we have discussed. One more idea - maybe switch the roles of wl0 and wl1.

Wish I knew the answer to your log question, hope somebody else does!

Ok, I double-checked my settings, and they all seem to match. The main router uses WPA2-Personal with AES or PSK; I'm using AES with my WNDR3300, based on some other threads which suggested PSK could be buggy. My computer, when connected directly to the main router, also chooses to use AES, so that seems safe.

The main router uses A/B/G so I'm matching that too. I've also set security, etc, settings for w|0 and w|1 to be exactly the same.

I tried switching w|0 to be the AP and w|1 to be the Client, but that didn't seem to have an effect. I also tried setting the connection type to Static IP and assigned connection info that should work (and in fact does, on other devices such as my Tivo, which for some strange reason only works if I specify statis settings), to no effect.

I'm heading out of town for a long weekend but will try the 30-30-30 reset when I get back. In the meantime, other suggestions and/or info on any sort of connection logging would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much Smile
Sponsor
steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 15:55    Post subject: Re: Not connecting to w|0 as expected Reply with quote
dovesong wrote:
steveg1701 wrote:

Double check the SSID and security information, make sure they match EXACTLY the main router. If you can find out what mode the main router uses (mixed, N only etc) then match that too. If that fails then do a 30-30-30 and make sure you modify only the settings we have discussed. One more idea - maybe switch the roles of wl0 and wl1.

Wish I knew the answer to your log question, hope somebody else does!

Ok, I double-checked my settings, and they all seem to match. The main router uses WPA2-Personal with AES or PSK; I'm using AES with my WNDR3300, based on some other threads which suggested PSK could be buggy. My computer, when connected directly to the main router, also chooses to use AES, so that seems safe.

The main router uses A/B/G so I'm matching that too. I've also set security, etc, settings for w|0 and w|1 to be exactly the same.

I tried switching w|0 to be the AP and w|1 to be the Client, but that didn't seem to have an effect. I also tried setting the connection type to Static IP and assigned connection info that should work (and in fact does, on other devices such as my Tivo, which for some strange reason only works if I specify statis settings), to no effect.

I'm heading out of town for a long weekend but will try the 30-30-30 reset when I get back. In the meantime, other suggestions and/or info on any sort of connection logging would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much Smile

Try changing your setup to AES or TKIP, like I said match the unit you are repeating EXACTLY. No way you can get the owner of the host router to disable security just long enough for a 5 minute test? Or maybe at least have them change over to straight AES?

BS releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
Eko releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/
dovesong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 20:03    Post subject: Re: Not connecting to w|0 as expected Reply with quote
steveg1701 wrote:

Try changing your setup to AES or TKIP, like I said match the unit you are repeating EXACTLY. No way you can get the owner of the host router to disable security just long enough for a 5 minute test? Or maybe at least have them change over to straight AES?

Good afternoon! I'm back in town and a strange thing happened... I plugged my WNDR3300 in, and viola! Halfway there...

On the "Status - WAN" tab, I can see an uptime for my connection to the first router, and the WAN IP is showing correctly in the upper-right corner. However, I still don't have internet access. Directly connecting to the first router demonstrates that it is working properly, and I know that MAC filtering is disabled on the first router. I don't think I can convince them to disable security on the first router, but if this goes on much longer I might try.

Assuming security settings are correct, what else could be interfering?

When I look at the "Status - Wireless" tab for w|1 under Wireless Packet Info, it indicates "Received: 8 OK, no error" and "Transmitted: 1 OK, 210 errors". What are possible causes of this problem? Why isn't it successfully transmitting to the first router, but still registering a WAN connection uptime?

Thanks again, I reeeeally appreciate your help!
steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 20:15    Post subject: Re: Not connecting to w|0 as expected Reply with quote
dovesong wrote:
steveg1701 wrote:

Good afternoon! I'm back in town and a strange thing happened... I plugged my WNDR3300 in, and viola! Halfway there...

On the "Status - WAN" tab, I can see an uptime for my connection to the first router, and the WAN IP is showing correctly in the upper-right corner. However, I still don't have internet access. Directly connecting to the first router demonstrates that it is working properly, and I know that MAC filtering is disabled on the first router. I don't think I can convince them to disable security on the first router, but if this goes on much longer I might try.

Assuming security settings are correct, what else could be interfering?

When I look at the "Status - Wireless" tab for w|1 under Wireless Packet Info, it indicates "Received: 8 OK, no error" and "Transmitted: 1 OK, 210 errors". What are possible causes of this problem? Why isn't it successfully transmitting to the first router, but still registering a WAN connection uptime?

Thanks again, I reeeeally appreciate your help!

Telnet or SSH into your router and see if you can ping the main gateway. Also, have you tried connecting to it with an ethernet cable?

dovesong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:48    Post subject: Re: Not connecting to w|0 as expected Reply with quote
steveg1701 wrote:
Telnet or SSH into your router and see if you can ping the main gateway. Also, have you tried connecting to it with an ethernet cable?

Ok, this will sound like a silly question, but is my telnet user/password different from what I use to log into the web interface? I keep getting "Login incorrect"! I have verified Telnet is enabled under both of these locations:

Services - Services
Administration - Management - Remote Access

What am I missing...? I don't have physical access to the other router, so I can't connect them via an ethernet cable.

Also, I turned on logging under "Security - Firewall", but no entries are being recorded. Disappointing!

Thanks again for your help, I'd love to figure this out. I'm going to try the 30-30-30 reset and start over, see where that gets me...
dovesong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:44    Post subject: w|0 as Client to primary network, w|1 as AP - not bridged? Reply with quote
Good evening!

So, after resetting my WNDR3300 and playing around with settings, I now have two wireless radios up and running - one that connects to the existing network and has a successful internet connect, which I can access if I am directly connected to the WNDR3300. (clicking on any MAC address under the Status section is a great way to test this, I've found! Also, whether there is a date/time displayed on the Status-Router tab, assuming you have that feature turned on.) The other network is the second one that I wish to create, but that network does not have an internet connection. Somehow, I think w|0 and w|1 are not bridged. Here is my setup after following the WLan Repeater guide (at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wlan_Repeater ) with a few tweaks for the WNDR3300's two radios; also, the original router's DHCP server has stopped working, hence the manual IP configuration:

Setup - Basic Setup:
-------------------

Static IP Connection
WAN IP: 192.168.1.8
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
All 3 DNS lines are 0.0.0.0
STP: disable

Network Setup, Router IP
Local IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway and Local DNS: 192.168.1.1

Wireless - Basic Settings:
-------------------------

w|0
Mode: Client
Network mode: mixed
SSID for original router with internet access
ACK 2000
Network Config: Bridged

w|1
Mode: AP
SSID for new subnet I wish to create
ACK 2000

Do I need to set up a bridge on the "Setup - Networking" tab? If so, only eth0, eth1,... eth3 display as options, whereas I would expect to see w|0 and w|1 as choices. However, I can see on "Status - Wireless" under Wireless Nodes that the primary router is connected to eth2, and a device connected to the second wireless network is on eth3. Adding eth2 to the existing bridge between eth0 and eth3 unfortunately kills my internet connection, so that's not it...

Any other thoughts, suggestions, etc, would be gratefully accepted! (Also, I still can't login via telnet - weird!)

Thank you,
Erin

ADDENDUM: As it turns out, this setup is working as a client bridge! I did end up adding eth1 to br0, I'm not sure if that's necessary or not. My problem when I originally posted was that I had previously hard-coded some IP settings into my computer for use when I was connected to the WNDR3300 with an ethernet cable. They were negatively impacting my ability to use the wireless connection... I removed the settings and opted to get them automatically, and presto! I connect to my own wireless router and can access the internet via a separate wireless router. Smile Smile :)

I could additionally add, for those who come after me and are trying to recreate this setup - I am able to leave my firewall enabled, and having different security modes or keys between w|0 and w|1 seems to work just fine!

Last edited by dovesong on Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:54; edited 3 times in total
steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 13:44    Post subject: Re: Not connecting to w|0 as expected Reply with quote
dovesong wrote:
steveg1701 wrote:

Ok, this will sound like a silly question, but is my telnet user/password different from what I use to log into the web interface? I keep getting "Login incorrect"! I have verified Telnet is enabled under both of these locations:

Services - Services
Administration - Management - Remote Access

What am I missing...? I don't have physical access to the other router, so I can't connect them via an ethernet cable.

Also, I turned on logging under "Security - Firewall", but no entries are being recorded. Disappointing!

Thanks again for your help, I'd love to figure this out. I'm going to try the 30-30-30 reset and start over, see where that gets me...

Telnet/ssh password is the same as you use to log in to the webguy but the username is root.

steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 14:31    Post subject: Re: w|0 as Client to primary network, w|1 as AP - not bridge Reply with quote
dovesong wrote:
Good evening!

So, after resetting my WNDR3300 and playing around with settings, I now have two wireless radios up and running - one that connects to the existing network and has a successful internet connect, which I can access if I am directly connected to the WNDR3300. (clicking on any MAC address under the Status section is a great way to test this, I've found! Also, whether there is a date/time displayed on the Status-Router tab, assuming you have that feature turned on.) The other network is the second one that I wish to create, but that network does not have an internet connection. Somehow, I think w|0 and w|1 are not bridged. Here is my setup after following the WLan Repeater guide (at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wlan_Repeater ) with a few tweaks for the WNDR3300's two radios; also, the original router's DHCP server has stopped working, hence the manual IP configuration:

Setup - Basic Setup:
-------------------

Static IP Connection
WAN IP: 192.168.1.8
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
All 3 DNS lines are 0.0.0.0
STP: disable

Network Setup, Router IP
Local IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway and Local DNS: 192.168.1.1

Wireless - Basic Settings:
-------------------------

w|0
Mode: Client
SSID for original router with internet access
ACK 2000

w|1
Mode: AP
SSID for new subnet I wish to create
ACK 2000

Do I need to set up a bridge on the "Setup - Networking" tab? If so, only eth0, eth1,... eth3 display as options, whereas I would expect to see w|0 and w|1 as choices. However, I can see on "Status - Wireless" under Wireless Nodes that the primary router is connected to eth2, and a device connected to the second wireless network is on eth3. Adding eth2 to the existing bridge between eth0 and eth3 unfortunately kills my internet connection, so that's not it...

Any other thoughts, suggestions, etc, would be gratefully accepted! (Also, I still can't login via telnet - weird!)

Thank you,
Erin

Did you try running an ethernet cable from one of the ports on the 3300 to your computer? Can you ping 192.168.1.1? Also check all the DHCP information you get back from the router (IPCONFIG /ALL) and make sure the gateway and DNS are what you expect them to be.

oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:32    Post subject: Re: w|0 as Client to primary network, w|1 as AP - not bridge Reply with quote
dovesong wrote:

Thank you,
Erin

Well, you didnt write what you want to achieve? For me it seems you want a client bridge / ap setup, not a client / ap setup. It's easier to setup and more flexible (but you get some overhead)
dovesong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:44    Post subject: Re: Not connecting to w|0 as expected Reply with quote
steveg1701 wrote:
Telnet/ssh password is the same as you use to log in to the webguy but the username is root.

Good to know, thank you!

Also, I solved my problem... see the above addendum Smile Thanks again, Steve, for all of your help!
dovesong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:50    Post subject: Re: w|0 as Client to primary network, w|1 as AP - not bridge Reply with quote
oxygenx wrote:

Well, you didnt write what you want to achieve? For me it seems you want a client bridge / ap setup, not a client / ap setup. It's easier to setup and more flexible (but you get some overhead)

Thank you! Yes, I was trying to create a client bridge setup. Steveg1701 had previously suggested that "Since you are using wl1 to do the repeater function you can set wl0 up as a client". I can't recall now for sure, but I think I was having additional problems when I tried to set on of the radios to be a client bridge, instead of a client. Happily, I have it working now! (See addendum, above) Very Happy Very Happy
wirelessjoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 16:46    Post subject: WNDR3300 and Airport Extreme, Bridge, WAP, Ethernet Reply with quote
I hope I'm not hijacking someone's thread, but I am having troubles getting my WNDR3300 setup with my Airport Extreme(AE).

Please see the attached diagram showing what I want for reference.

I downloaded and successfully installed DD-WRT v.24_std-wndr3300.chk release 13637 via the WNDR3300 Wiki page. I followed all the steps there and easily got WW-DRT running.

I then went into my AE and turned off all security and set the SSID to broadcast to keep it as simple as possible.

FYI - My AE has the IP of 10.105.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0 DHCP is turned on. It is set as 802.11n only (5Ghz). There was one setting I changed to "allow network to be extended". I am not sure if this was necessary or maybe I shouldn't have.

Then I connected my laptop to the WNDR330 via an ethernet cable into LAN port 1. I turned off my wifi so I was only working on LAN. I set the IP as static as 192.168.1.10.

The next step I took was to follow the wiki page for Repeater Bridge without creating the virtual interface.

I set w|0 as Repeater Bridge, set mode as 802.11n (5Ghz only), SSID was set to the same as my AE, with SSID broadcast set to enabled and set as bridged. I didn't set any virtual interface, and w|1 was set as AP for now.

I skipped the security page settings because I had all security turned off to start with.

Under Setip/Basic Setup I disabled the connection type and left STP as disabled. I then set the following parameters:

IP Address : 10.105.0.10 (AE Router IP is 10.105.0.1)
Mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.105.0.1 (AE Router IP is 10.105.0.1)
Local DNS: 10.105.0.1

I then followed the remaining steps in the wiki for 8, 9 and 10 as it was stated and rebooted the WNDR330. Of course, i had to change my url to 10.105.0.10 at that point to access the WNDR3300.

My problem is, the WNDR3300 doesn't seem to connect to the AE. When I check status I saw hundreds (and eventually 1000s) of errors in the Tx and/or Rx. I would expect that at that point I could access the internet via the ethernet cable. However, when checking the IP of the laptop it states it has created it's own IP address, as if it cannot connect to the DHCP of the AE. If the settings are correct will the WNDR3300 automatically connect to the AE? Do I have to force connect it? Like I stated the SSID is broadcast from the AE and the security is nothing at that time. I was able to turn on my laptop wifi and connect to the AE and obtain an IP and such easily. So i know the AE is working, broadcasting it's SSID and handing out IPs via the DHCP.

I tried taking everything step by step. My plan was 1) Create a bridge connection between the WNDR and AE using 802.11n only. At that point I should be able to access the internet via the ethernet cable. 2) Establish the same connection, only thing time with WPA2 Personal security settings. 3) Turn on w|1 to mixed mode as an AP for my 802.11b/g gear and check those work. 4) Turn on WPA2 for w|1.

However, I seem to be stuck in step 1. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching and reading the threads I could. But, it seems I've done it correctly.
[/url]

MWSnap007.png
 Description:
Network Diagram
 Filesize:  37.78 KB
 Viewed:  14318 Time(s)

MWSnap007.png

steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 18:41    Post subject: Re: WNDR3300 and Airport Extreme, Bridge, WAP, Ethernet Reply with quote
wirelessjoe wrote:
There was one setting I changed to "allow network to be extended". I am not sure if this was necessary or maybe I shouldn't have.

Looks like that setting should be turned off on the AE, not sure if that will solve your problem but its worth a try!

wirelessjoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 18:48    Post subject: Re: WNDR3300 and Airport Extreme, Bridge, WAP, Ethernet Reply with quote
steveg1701 wrote:
wirelessjoe wrote:
There was one setting I changed to "allow network to be extended". I am not sure if this was necessary or maybe I shouldn't have.

Looks like that setting should be turned off on the AE, not sure if that will solve your problem but its worth a try!

I tried that, with it both on and off without luck. I should have stated that. I only changed that setting after I'd tried everything else.

I am starting to think I should reset the router and try the instructions for Client Bridged on w|0 since the WNDR3300 is dual radio. Then setup w|1 as an AP.

BTW I was able to connect to the w|1 radio just fine with my laptop and smart phone. I didn't get a real IP address or access to anything, but I could access the router's config pages etc. So, I'm pretty sure the w|1 radio setup is working great...just the bridge between the AE and WNDR3300.

I spent about 1.5-2 hours on this last night until my wife told me to give up and come to bed. Smile One other thought I might try, changing the AE subnet to 192.168.1. I'd make the AE 192.168.1.1 and the WNDR3300 192.168.1.2. But, I can't think why that'd matter if I make sure the WNDR3300 is on the same subnet as the AE...no matter the actual numbers.
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 21:18    Post subject: Re: WNDR3300 and Airport Extreme, Bridge, WAP, Ethernet Reply with quote
wirelessjoe wrote:

BTW I was able to connect to the w|1 radio just fine with my laptop and smart phone. I didn't get a real IP address or access to anything, but I could access the router's config pages etc. So, I'm pretty sure the w|1 radio setup is working great...just the bridge between the AE and WNDR3300.

Thats right, one transmitter Client Bridge, one AP (with different SSID obviously).

Modem: Cisco EPC3202
clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: