Netgear WNDR3300, repeater function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 18:26    Post subject: Re: Netgear WNDR3300, repeater function Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:

No...A repeater uses the same radio to Tx and Rx and has two hops to do it (one to the host AP...the other to the wireless client). It can only Tx or Rx at any given time.

In a two radio setup...both radios can Tx/Rx at the same time...so connecting wirelessly to the wl1 interface can still communcate through the wl0 radio at the same time...no BW loss.

redhawk

i thought if wl0 was repeating a signal from a main access point radio, wl1 on the repeater would be already working off of a (cut) repeated signal from wl0.

Thanks for correction.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 18:33    Post subject: Re: Netgear WNDR3300, repeater function Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
redhawk0 wrote:

No...A repeater uses the same radio to Tx and Rx and has two hops to do it (one to the host AP...the other to the wireless client). It can only Tx or Rx at any given time.

In a two radio setup...both radios can Tx/Rx at the same time...so connecting wirelessly to the wl1 interface can still communcate through the wl0 radio at the same time...no BW loss.

redhawk

i thought if wl0 was repeating a signal from a main access point radio, wl1 on the repeater would be already working off of a (cut) repeated signal from wl0.

Thanks for correction.

In this case...the wl0 is acting as a client for the wl1 radio....That's why I said earlier in this thread that setting up the wl0 as a Client Bridge and the wl1 as an AP is a true repeater...but if I made wl0 Repeater Bridge mode...then wl0 clients would be at 50%...but the wl1 clients would still be full BW since it doesn't have that extra wireless hop from a SINGLE radio.

it's all about physics....a single radio can't do two things at once...but two radio's can.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for even more thorough explaination on this.

Also i know you said

redhawk0 wrote:

a single radio can't do two things at once

Not to be taken this wrong way (not trying to anger you for argument, just learning), does MIMO radio not do 2 things at once?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Thanks again for even more thorough explaination on this.

Also i know you said

redhawk0 wrote:

Not to be taken this wrong way (not trying to anger you for argument, just learning), does MIMO radio not do 2 things at once?

Well...yeah...but I believe it is still with regard to it's communication with the host AP...its that second wireless hop (the virtual interface) that throws the "monkey wrench" into the works regarding the BW.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
t4ggs wrote:
Im connecting the Netgear directly to the Edimax, I mean, one end of the cable is connected to the LAN in the Edimax and to a WLAN on the Netgear.

I cant get rid of the Edimax because I cant rearrange all the other cables to go through the wall to the Netgear in the corridor.

So what exactly should I do, cause i did what the WIKI said, excluding the part of giving an ip address to the repeater and MASK and gateway and Local DNS

I did the rest exactly as the wiki says

Still doesnt work...im such a noob hahaha

thanx again

With that hookup the computers hooked to the Edimax will not be able to talk to the ones on your wireless setup, is that what you want? If not then you need to change that part of your configuration, maybe it's why the whole thing isn't working! Easiest thing to do might be to move the Netgear out of the corridor to the place where the Edimax is. If you can't do that then you want to put it on the same subnet as the Edimax with a unique IP address and configure it as a wireless access point.

BS releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
Eko releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
With the WNDR3300, i always turned off the wl1 radio (it is not a N radio and it does not have MIMO) and just used wl0. I always figured with this unit atleast for optimal performance, being that this has a 264Mhz cpu and 4/16Mb ram setup, running only 1 radio would in turn eat up less CPU and ram, because running wl1 would eat up cycles and isn't as good of radio as wl0. So kinda tradeoff there, With a WNDR3700 or WRT610N no problem to run both radios, they have enough CPU and RAM to push it.

but i see your point in the hops, as i am now curious to try this with my 3300's and see if it gives performance boost. Cool

Last edited by buddee on Sun Jun 27, 2010 20:10; edited 1 time in total
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
If you are going to use a ethernet cable to connect routers, sounds like you may want to use 'Wireless Access Point'

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

Hrm.... somewhere that sounded familiar..... Smile

t4ggs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
steveg1701 wrote:
With that hookup the computers hooked to the Edimax will not be able to talk to the ones on your wireless setup, is that what you want? If not then you need to change that part of your configuration, maybe it's why the whole thing isn't working! Easiest thing to do might be to move the Netgear out of the corridor to the place where the Edimax is. If you can't do that then you want to put it on the same subnet as the Edimax with a unique IP address and configure it as a wireless access point.

yes i know but if I move the netgear i wont have enough signal outside..
could u answer to my questions? thanxzzz
steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
t4ggs wrote:
steveg1701 wrote:

yes i know but if I move the netgear i wont have enough signal outside..
could u answer to my questions? thanxzzz

Well part of the reason for all the information being thrown around here is that you actually have different setups with different routers. Ultimately you likely want to have the second floor netgear set up as a wireless access point and the first floor one a repeater bridge but lets break things down and try to solve one problem at a time instead. If I am not mistaken everything is working the way you want on the second floor and outside but you have a signal problem on the first floor? When you say that the first floor repeater bridge doesn't work what is it about it that doesn't work? You did say that there is no wireless security implemented at this point right? Maybe we should start with the simplest wireless link possible, client mode. Reset your first floor Netgear to factory and make just a few simple changes:

1. Set the IP address to a subnet which is not used by either of your other 2 routers.

2. On interface wl0 select Wireless Mode Client and Wireless Network Mode Mixed.

3. Also on wl0 set the SSID to exactly match your second floor Netgear.

Wait a minute or so then look in the upper right hand corner at your WAN IP - with any luck it should update itself to a valid IP on the subnet of the second floor Netgear.

If this goes as expected then we are getting somewhere! If not then post your LAN address settings from the other 2 routers so we can try to figure out what is going wrong. I know you posted all that information but it is buried in about a jillion pictures in the archive...

BS releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
Eko releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
The answers to your questions are within you, not us Smile
That is why i referenced the wiki guide for linking routers, so you could read over that and decide for yourself, very simple.

If you are going to link the routers via ethernet cable you will have to use "wireless access point" very simple.

The main problem here is when you have many people (yes thats right folks, me included) debating over an issue aside from 'your issue' can tend to be confusing, if you follow the guide for "wireless access point" most liekly you will have success with what your are trying to do here.

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
redhawk0 wrote:

In the context of what redhawk was referring to (repeating), a 'thing' is either transmitting or receiving and a single radio can't transmit and receive at the same time. MIMO uses multiple signals but the radio can still only either transmit or receive at any given time.

oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
With the WNDR3300, i always turned off the wl1 radio (it is not a N radio and it does not have MIMO) and just used wl0. I always figured with this unit atleast for optimal performance, being that this has a 264Mhz cpu and 4/16Mb ram setup, running only 1 radio would in turn eat up less CPU and ram, because running wl1 would eat up cycles and isn't as good of radio as wl0. So kinda tradeoff there, With a WNDR3700 or WRT610N no problem to run both radios, they have enough CPU and RAM to push it.

I think it's more important to devide n-devices and g-devices. I configured WL0 for new devices with N Only, WWM, WPA2-AES etc and WL1 as compat with G, WPA2 Mixed, AES/TKIP etc.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
oxygenx wrote:

I think it's more important to devide n-devices and g-devices. I configured WL0 for new devices with N Only, WWM, WPA2-AES etc and WL1 as compat with G, WPA2 Mixed, AES/TKIP etc.

I think you can run your 3300's however you like Smile

goodwillhouston
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I set up my WNDR3300 as a client bridge by following the wiki instructions: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

I left out steps 23 thru 28 though. That is, I kept the default security settings and advanced routing (gateway). It has been working for a week now without any problem.

My questions are: does my setup have any potential problem? are steps 23 thru 28 must's?

Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/10) std-nokaid-nohot-nostore - build 14205M

Thanks
goodwillhouston
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
your clients connecting to wl1 won't have a BW cut in half...but those connecting to wl0 will.....just sayin'

Also, keep both radio's on the same wireless channel...there have been some problems when the radio channels are different.

redhawk

I use channel1 for wl0 client bridge and channel11 for wl1 AP. It works flawlessly.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: