Recommend a gigabit wireless router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
jrussell88
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:38    Post subject: Recommend a gigabit wireless router Reply with quote
As my Linksys WRT 300N v1 has given up the ghost after only a couple of years, I'm in the market for a wireless router to replace it, preferably with gigabit ethernet.

I'm not so unhappy as the 300N was a mixed bag of problems, although in the end I got it running quite smoothly with dd-wrt, but it's wireless performance - range and stability - was poor. I gave up on QoS in the end.

For the new router I'll run VPN and VOIP, and I'd appreciate working QoS for VOIP and torrents. I'd like enough memory for the mega build.

All my laptops so far have been Wireless G, so wireless N is less important, but probably nice to have.

Since the 300N did not have a good range throughout the house, I'd like a router with a good wireless G performance and aerial socket(s).

I have a couple of broadband WAN connections, running at 10-20Mbps.

It's important that I don't have to spend too much time dealing with problems so I'd appreciate good stability and trouble-free implementation with the appropriate versions of dd-wrt.

Routers that might fit the bill and have been recommended in other posts are:
    Linksys WRT610N v2
    Netgear WNDR3700
    Asus RT-N16
    Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH - dd-wrt pre-installed

However they all seem to appear in the forums with different issues.

I'd appreciate it if anyone with hands-on experience can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
They will always have some issues, no such thing as maintenance free perfect router that i know of.

All those you listed are great choices. Bang for buck wise i would say the Asus RT-N16. I would probably consider the Linksys wrt610n as well.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
jrussell88
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Buddee.

Let's say relatively trouble-free - and performance is more important than value since I hope to be living with it for a few years. None of these units are that expensive.

I might buy a second unit with a USB socket if I can load the drivers for my 3G aircard (no problems under Ubuntu) and get that running on the router as a backup - the second location has an unreliable ADSL connection.

I see the Netgear WNR3500L has 8Mb flash, rather than the 4Mb on the WNDR3700, so that looks like a better bet for the Mega build - VPN and VOIP. USB port is a plus, but internal aerials and no socket aren't good.

Has anyone got a view on the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH? high power, 32Mb flash, also USB but no aerial socket. Sounds like ipkg doesn't work.

Redhawk - you've got a lot of experience with the Asus... I see 55 pages of discussion and counting. Any thoughts?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
jrussell88 wrote:
Thanks Buddee.

I see the Netgear WNR3500L has 8Mb flash, rather than the 4Mb on the WNDR3700, so that looks like a better bet for the Mega build - VPN and VOIP. USB port is a plus, but internal aerials and no socket aren't good.

Has anyone got a view on the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH? high power, 32Mb flash, also USB but no aerial socket. Sounds like ipkg doesn't work.

Redhawk - you've got a lot of experience with the Asus... I see 55 pages of discussion and counting. Any thoughts?

The Netgear WNDR3700 has 8Mb flash as well and overall better specs than the wnr3500L, thats why it cost more.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
jrussell88
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's an error in the Router Database for the WNDR3700 then. Maybe someone can correct it... It lists:
Chipset AR7161
RAM 16 MB
FLASH 4 MB

You were thinking about getting a 3700, weren't you? Did you go ahead with it, or get something different?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
jrussell88 wrote:
There's an error in the Router Database for the WNDR3700 then. Maybe someone can correct it... It lists:
Chipset AR7161
RAM 16 MB
FLASH 4 MB

You were thinking about getting a 3700, weren't you? Did you go ahead with it, or get something different?

Well as of now, because i already have a good number of routers, i am thinking just to get a Linksys WRT160NL, because there is a E2100L replacement for the 160NL, the 160NL is very cheap here now, $65.

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
jrussell88 wrote:

Sorry...I went away for the weekend and didn't see this thread.

I like the Asus units...they are a bit tricky at times and I would strongly recommend that if you are going to do any testing and running "new" bleeding edge builds that you get a Serial cable...but if you are just going to run a recommended "stable" build...these units are great.

I just recently purchased an RT-N16 of my own...it is in service as my main AP and I couldn't be happier with it. I only need a single radio so it suites me just fine and for $77 shipped (Newegg on sale)....I couldn't pass it up.

I have 2 520gu's and a 500W also...the 520gu's are mine and in service as part of my core network...the 500W is a donated unit and used for testing FW's only....but it also works very well and is one of the my main test units.

the 610n unit is twice the price for 2 radio's....but if you don't need two radio's....then the 310n and/or the RT-N16 would fit the bill.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it matters...the RT-N16 has detachable antennas (3)

The 310n and 610n don't...they are internal.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got my Asus RT-N16 today and starting to set it up now. Very nice and quick after the 300n.

I'm going with 14311 as that seems to be the latest stable build.

The choice came down to a better radio and lower cost with the Buffalo or better functionality with the Asus. But with detachable aerials I figured I could always eke some more out of the Asus if I need to.

Smallnetworkbuilder.net suggests the Asus should be better than the 300n so I can live with that.

Got a new router to flash now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: