3G modem with micro SD card reader in BS k26 big build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
yamusketeer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:42    Post subject: 3G modem with micro SD card reader in BS k26 big build Reply with quote
I found the 3G/UMTS connection in BS k26 big build will be disconnected from ISP after idle for a while. I believe the problem was caused by my 3G modem and selecting the USB storage support in the USB services.

My 3G modem has a micro SD reader and a CDFS which contains a Windows connection program (Mobile Partner) on the same device. The 3G modem suppose can be used as a normal USB micro SD reader. But once the USB storage and 3G/UMTS connection turn on in dd-wrt, the 3G/UMTS connection will be disconnected randomly. Even only the USB storage turned-on, DD-WRT cannot detect the micro SD card and CDFS as storage device. But when the USB storage turned off, I can get a very stable 3G/UMTS connection. I already tested from the BS14144 build to the latest, the results are the same.

My hardware is:
ASUS RT-N16 (DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/12/10) mega - build 14594)
Huawei E180 (3G modem with 2GB micro SD)

I found 2 probe failed messages in the dmesg:

Code:

usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb-storage: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with error -5
option 1-2:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usb-storage: probe of 1-2:1.1 failed with error -5
option 1-2:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
usb-storage: probe of 1-2:1.2 failed with error -1
usb-storage: probe of 1-2:1.3 failed with error -1

I would like to know if someone has the same experience when using the similar hardware in BS k26 big build? Anyone can advice me how to fix the problem? Thanks very much!
Sponsor
yamusketeer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found some hints, it may be related to usb_modeswitch.conf. Anyway, let me try and I'll post my result here for those who care.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/browser/src/router/usb_modeswitch/usb_modeswitch.conf
yamusketeer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found that if I enable the huawei-mode with the following command, it will made the device much stable. If you have similar experience, you could try:

/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -v 0x12d1 -p 0x1414 -H 1

The -v and -p is your vendor id and product id of your Huawei modem.
jjgarciasp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 16:42    Post subject: Success with RT-N16+Sprint CDMA EVDO USB Modem (Novatel U760 Reply with quote
After many trial and errors, I got a stable 3G WAN connection on my RT-N16 running BS 14473 Big.

I am using a Sprint CDMA EVDO Rev.A USB modem from Novatel (Model U760).

For those interested... this is what I did:

Copied usb_modeswitch.conf to my routers /tmp directory. (do a search for it on here.. I got mine from one of the 3G/UMTS threads) without it usb_modeswitch is not happy.

Disconnected the router's wired WAN connection.

I opened up a Telnet session.

Got my modem's Vendor ID and Product ID from Sprint.com/downloads (Linux configuration guide) in my case Vendor ID is 0x1410 and Product ID is 0x6000.

Executed the following command:

/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -v 0x1410 -p 0x6000 -H

Plugged in my USB Modem.

On the Router's Basic Configuration Tab, changed the WAN connection to 3G/UMTS, user/pw both set to 'user' without quotes.

Checked the force reconnect box (no time). and Applied.

Gave it a couple of minutes and Voila.. got me a stable WAN IP through my modem.

Getting 1.3-1.5Mpbs Down and 235 - 400Kbps up.

Now I sit here and stare at the MBR1200 from Cradlepoint that I purchased not too long ago...

Hmmm... in the name of tinkering Smile

Linksys WRT54GSv4.0 RB
Linksys WRT54GSv6.0 RB w/issues
yamusketeer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
@jjgarciasp, I believe when you use the command line mode of usb_modeswitch, the .conf file is not required. The file is useful for long parameter list only.

For my case, I plugged-in the USB modem before entering the usb_modeswitch command, so that it can locate the device and flip the device into huawei-mode (-H).

Good to hear that the 3G WAN work for you too!
ESKIMOn00b
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
edit: answered my own question, for those on the same hunt
/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -h

is the help command for usb_modeswitch, it shows all the flags that are passable
jjgarciasp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
yamusketeer wrote:
@jjgarciasp, I believe when you use the command line mode of usb_modeswitch, the .conf file is not required. The file is useful for long parameter list only.

I added the .conf file because previously when I issued the command without having the .conf file present it asked me for it and exited.

yamusketeer wrote:
For my case, I plugged-in the USB modem before entering the usb_modeswitch command, so that it can locate the device and flip the device into huawei-mode (-H).

You are absolutely right... I listed this step backwards, you have to have the modem inserted for the command to work.

Frankly, I have been trying to get this to work for so long and tried so many things that maybe when I got that response asking for the .conf file I may not have had the modem inserted.

I am just glad it works, now waiting for the Sprint 4G service to be available in my area in August. Will try then with the Sierra 3G/4G modem they just released.

Do you have any idea of how to configure that one? It has two radios and a built-in session manager to switch from one radio to the other based on RSSI

Linksys WRT54GSv4.0 RB
Linksys WRT54GSv6.0 RB w/issues
yamusketeer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
ESKIMOn00b wrote:
is the help command for usb_modeswitch, it shows all the flags that are passable

It really depends your device whether support or not.
yamusketeer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
jjgarciasp wrote:
I am just glad it works, now waiting for the Sprint 4G service to be available in my area in August. Will try then with the Sierra 3G/4G modem they just released.

Do you have any idea of how to configure that one? It has two radios and a built-in session manager to switch from one radio to the other based on RSSI

No, I don't have any idea of configuring the 4G modem. It is too new for me. There is sierra-mode (-S) flag in usb_modeswitch, but not sure they are the same thing or not. Just give it a try if you can.
ESKIMOn00b
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
i wrestled with a 3g/4g modem for a while, then came up with the discovery that there arent any 4G drivers. dunno of its true or not, dont have 4G yet here so i couldnt test it... but the location where i ultimatly wanted to deploy the modem didnt even get sprint 3g so had to bounce to VZW.

so now im fighting with this UMW190NCD its a verizon modem mfg. by pantech (?)

when i run /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -v vendor -p pid

i end up with the message no switching method given. i have tried the Huawei, sony, and sierra modes and it throws errors.

should i be using some sort of switch after the PID if i done have a huawei sony or sierra modem?

im just about to break down and get a cradlepoint myself
ESKIMOn00b
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
looks like i might be missing a Target Class, any ideas what i should throw in there?
yamusketeer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ESKIMOn00b,

"no switching method given" means your command didn't tell which mode of the device should be flipped into (e.g. -H for huawei, -S for sierra, -d for detach the usb storage, etc). I believe the command need at least one of these flags.

I hope someone has a clue on your problem. However, you could checkout the main page of usb_modeswitch (http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/#intro) to search for more hints for this linux command or check out if your hardware is supported.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: