Getting bandwidth throttling to work on APs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates
cr0by
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 15:02    Post subject: Getting bandwidth throttling to work on APs Reply with quote
Hey all,

I have a network setup with a main router with wireless disabled and two others configured as APs. All of the routers are Buffalo WHR-HP-54G routers. They all have v.24 pre SP2 special beta - build 14667 installed on them.

On this setup I need to be able to throttle all traffic wirelessly connected through the aps to say 1Mb up and down, while being able to through in exemptions with MAC address.

I have enabled the qos and played with a few settings without finding one that works well to accomplish the above goals.

Here are some of my thoughts as to what could be causing the problem...
- because the main router has the line coming into it I don't know exactly how much bandwidth will be coming to each AP. I currently have it configured to where I have 10 Mbps up and down coming to the Main router (with wireless turned off), so I split that and place 5000 Kbps up and down for both of the APs.
- I only have the qos enabled on the APs set in WLAN only mode.

I have done some tests with sporadic results (fluctuating within about 3Mbps of what I set). I know the shaping isn't an exact number but I do need it to be within .5 Mbps or so.

I must have something set wrong or just have missed something. I have looked over quite a few other threads without being able to see what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for reading my epistle Smile, and thanks for the help.

cr0by
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
give us more input

plz read:

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 16:01    Post subject: fix :) Reply with quote
Smile I thought I had given enough. My bad. I had read all of the posts where you had given similar replies sash and had hoped to have given what was required.

Anyway... I fixed it yesterday. My problem was in not having the bandwidth limited going to the APS. So I used the IP/mask to specify each AP and throttle the max up and down to 5000 and then set the max up and down for all of the APs at 5000. After that setting the default bandwidth up and down at 1000 kbps worked perfectly. Smile Exceptions based on MAC needed to be placed in both ap and router serving DHCP.

Anyway hope that helps others. I currently am able throttle ~ 300 users that are spread out over 5 different networks. What an awesome solution! DD-WRT is awesome and the special version DOES WORK (sorry about the caps, I have just read too many threads saying that the bandwidth limiting features don't work). If you are having issues with it maybe it has something to do with your connections up and down speeds as was my case.

Good luck and wow it feels good to have that working for all of those users. :)

cr0by
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 18:37    Post subject: Re: fix :) Reply with quote
cr0by wrote:
Smile I thought I had given enough. My bad. I had read all of the posts where you had given similar replies sash and had hoped to have given what was required.

Anyway... I fixed it yesterday. My problem was in not having the bandwidth limited going to the APS. So I used the IP/mask to specify each AP and throttle the max up and down to 5000 and then set the max up and down for all of the APs at 5000. After that setting the default bandwidth up and down at 1000 kbps worked perfectly. Smile Exceptions based on MAC needed to be placed in both ap and router serving DHCP.

my next questions would have been regarding these setting.
glad u made it
Quote:

Anyway hope that helps others. I currently am able throttle ~ 300 users that are spread out over 5 different networks.

and u r using consumer stuff hw for traffic limiting. not very wise imho. for 300 users there is enough money around to spend some money into some professional hw which is much more reliable...and faster of cause
Quote:
What an awesome solution! DD-WRT is awesome and the special version DOES WORK (sorry about the caps, I have just read too many threads saying that the bandwidth limiting features don't work).

for me its working since i've found a bug in the v24 and i punished BS the fix it in august 2008... as i remember correctly.

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: