WNDR3700 with DD-WRT - Before/After Comparison Benchmarks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
futonpimp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 17:05    Post subject: WNDR3700 with DD-WRT - Before/After Comparison Benchmarks Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

I've been digging through google and this forum trying to find test results/benchmarks for the wndr3700 with and without the dd-wrt firmware. (obviously there are results out there without it..but i'm having issues finding any reviews or users with tests after the upgrade.

If anyone has any old links or current links to what I'm looking for that would be great.

Thanks in Advance!

Eric
Sponsor
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is a rather large WNDR3700 development post but here are some benchmarks for you.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=435969#435969

some report great wireless connectivity, some still have a poor connection.

check the other forum post for more info about it.
Z3r0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tested wireless using Intel 5300 in laptop a couple of weeks ago and then put on OpenWRT.

2.4ghz/5ghz speeds roughly the same despite reduced signal on 5ghz band.

Stock fw results below, tested with PC connected to WNDR3700 via gigE and streaming over wireless to laptop.

Same room: 18MB/s (yes that's Megabytes)
Next room: 13MB/s (plaster wall, steel frame house, distance approx 5m)
Other rooms: 6MB/s (tested in three rooms about 10-15m away through 2-4 walls).

OpenWRT - as far as I remember, same room speeds were significantly lower (8MB?) and furthest room was 3MB/s. I didn't thoroughly test. I had problems with dropouts and had to swap back to stock firmware for stability.
Z3r0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just installed DD-WRT and can confirm same thing. Speed < 2.5MB/s in this room on 2.4ghz. CH11.

Speed 256KB/s on 5ghz. CH36.
futonpimp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well interesting results... Thanks for the replies guys.. I'll let you know my results as well after the upgrade.
Z3r0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Np, I found a post on the WNDR3700 thread that suggested changing the TX chains to 1+2+3 and that helped me. Speed now 7.5MB/s on 2.4ghz about 5m away and 3-4MB/s 10-15m away.

Also noticed u have to set NG-Mixed or N-only mode to get Dynamic 20/40mhz mode or Turbo 40mhz only mode.

40mhz not working for me at present.

Changed other settings, nothing much happened.

5ghz band still borked for me.
luminoso
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have new stock firmware released today (1.0.4.6Cool that's why i decided to take a look in dd-wrt and openwrt forums.

Questions:
1) To flash over stock firmware I do have to flash, over netgear stock webui i need to flash first wndr3700-factory.img, right?

2) to switch to openwrt I simply flash openwrt-ar71xx-wndr3700-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin ?

3) To flash back to stock firmware (WNDR3700-V1.0.4.68.img) I just need to reflash firmware image over openwrt/dd-wrt webui?

Thank you.
Z3r0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
1.) Yes, if in stock firmware.
2.) Yes, if in stock firmware.
3.) No, you have to flash it via TFTP (recovery mode).

Clearly you can flash openwrt to openwrt, dd-wrt to dd-wrt. To use DD-WRT when ur on OpenWRT you would first return to stock firmware then flash from webui and vice versa.
luminoso
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. Yesterday I've learned to do all of that and it is pretty secure to flash from stock to open/dd-wrt and virce versa.
This is my first time playing arround with open/dd-wrt.

I've found out that dd-wrt is VERY unstable with WNDR 3700. Wireless connections drops, and I can't connect more that 65.00 Mbps from my laptop (Wireless-N) when with stock firmware it always connects at 150.0 Mbps.

Open-Wrt have also this same problem and also can't turn 5 Ghz on. (Even that Open-wrt seems faster and more kernel-poliseh than dd-wrt. dd-wrt looks a bit bloated).

So I'm with stock firmware again till dd-wrt improves compatibility with WNDR 3700.
BigRon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Z3r0 wrote:
Tested wireless using Intel 5300 in laptop a couple of weeks ago and then put on OpenWRT.

2.4ghz/5ghz speeds roughly the same despite reduced signal on 5ghz band.

Stock fw results below, tested with PC connected to WNDR3700 via gigE and streaming over wireless to laptop.

Same room: 18MB/s (yes that's Megabytes)
Next room: 13MB/s (plaster wall, steel frame house, distance approx 5m)
Other rooms: 6MB/s (tested in three rooms about 10-15m away through 2-4 walls).

OpenWRT - as far as I remember, same room speeds were significantly lower (8MB?) and furthest room was 3MB/s. I didn't thoroughly test. I had problems with dropouts and had to swap back to stock firmware for stability.

You got 144Mbit through WiFi? You gotta be kidding...
I will test this. I only tested USB HDDs directly attached to the WNDR3700 but not Storage connected through LAN... I am only getting about 48Mbit/s through an USB HDD...

Thank you for your report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: