one network - two areas help!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jimmy the saint
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:48    Post subject: one network - two areas help!! Reply with quote
I am redoing my network setup and there will be two main areas. In the home office I have a computer, networked printer and the dsl modem. In the living room I will have the file/media server and an xbox modified to be a media center. In addition there are a couple laptops that connect to the internet and printer through the router in the office.

My goal is to put a wireless router in the living room that will connect the xbox to the server and the server to the main router in the office via wireless. In other words, I want the two wireless routers to bring the two areas together under one network. I do not want any wireless connections to the secondary router in the living except in that it connects to the main router in the office.

I have no idea how to accomplish this. ddwrt specific help will be great, but I am more interested in the general principles of how this works. Thank You for any assistance!!!
Sponsor
seti
DD-WRT User

Location: Physically: Somewhere in time and space / Mentally: As lost as the next person

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here are two options that might help with your setup:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge
jimmy the saint
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 17:20    Post subject: Thank You!! Reply with quote
Thank You!! The Bridge is exactly what I was looking for!!
dacman61
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been doing this set up myself for a few months now for hooking up my Dish Network ViP622 receiver. It works great and now I can get Video On Demand and my receiver can "Phone Home" so I don't get charged $5 a month since it's not hooked up to a landline.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: