100+ Routers to Flash - Questions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates
bstevenson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 20:15    Post subject: 100+ Routers to Flash - Questions Reply with quote
I have a lot of 25 WRT54GSv1, v1.1 and, v2 Linksys Routers that some I am de-bricking and all I am reflashing for an agency. As they are in need of the features in the "special" build, I purchased such from the dd-wrt storefront. I received this version: DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/08) std-special (SVN revision 10011). From my reading it appears that this is a very old version containing bugs and vulnerabilities and my only choices are a conglomeration of betas.. I would have hoped that the PAID version got priority over free builds but it does not appear that way (?). This agency will be shipping me another 50 units and then more after that...so perhaps u can see this from a "consumer" standpoint. There appears to be more reading material than is necessary for my needs...such as the number of times it has been written to not trust the main site and it's database, even though that appears to be the place where the "paid for" product is stored. I have read about exploits that are being fixed in later "beta" builds but never the magic word "stable". Due to the nature of the proposed use of these routers my intention is to install a stable version of this software with all the included security patches, etc. ONCE. When these units are placed in full operation onsite it will not be possible to flash them without "an act of congress" so to speak. My client is not interested in any additional new features other than what is provided in the "paid" version. IOW...a stable release with all features operating as designed and with all "known" security holes fixed. I do have a deadline for all work performed, therefore if such a package is not available via this company PLEASE inform me of such. I won't ask for a refund so don't worry about that. I do have other options however, from the amount of reading and input it appears that the developmental end of this company is very well informed and quite capable of a marketable product...it is just a difficult, and quite UN-intuitive, terrain to navigate from a CONSUMER point of view.

A. Is the "paid" version stable? DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/08) std-special (SVN revision 10011)
B. Is the paid version up to date with security fixes?
C. What is the latest "most stable" release with security fixes?
D. What is the ETA for a "stable" release with security fixes?
E. Are you following a consistent format with build numbers across all version types? (micro, standard, special)

Obviously I know there are a multitude of "opinions". There's an old saying about opinions I'll forego. Just asking for honest concrete answers so maybe I can adjust my obligation to encompass a forthcoming new release to insure these units get "the best mojo". Regards to all.

Robert F. Stevenson II
Huntsville, Alabama, USA
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
have u read this:
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: