Another Asus RT-N16 Router MOD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Goto page Previous  1, 2
RainMotorsports
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks good ive just started my project lol
Sponsor
p_shep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
How difficult is it to prise the stock H/S off the processor?
p_shep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Started my destruction now Smile
And...
1) Took a little 'persuasion' to remove the stock heatsink and careful avoidance of the tiniest resistors mounted around it.

2) Wow those chips get hot! Even with the additional heatsink on the switch chip and radio they still get too hot to touch for long. Hate to think how hot they were getting before!

Pics to follow, at some point.
p_shep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
So here we are. Used the chipset h/s and fan set from new egg, and thermal epoxied them to the chips.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835425008

I figure the chipset fan attached to the processor will be enough to circulate the air around... I didn't want to drill more holes or make anything visible from outside the box.
TinCanWaveguide
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I added a 12v fan, but it was way too loud. I used an LM7805 regulator to power it, instead of just a resistor. I drilled out bigger holes in the case to give the fan more air. I put rediculous antennas on it, and I run it from a hotwired ATX power supply, which makes 5 amps, or something at 12v.
Perfect Cantenna: Use the big spagetti sauce cans, 3-1/4" diameter. Make the element 31mm long, and place the element exactly 2-1/2" from the bottom of the can. The dimentions are critical, and these are perfect.
paladin252
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
thought i would share a simple solution for people to cool their rt-n16. i just purchased mine a couple weeks ago and had this small netbook cooler sitting around and put it under my router. its powered by usb so plugging it into the back of the router worked perfectly. the cooler is almost completely silent.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=active&q=netbook+chill+mat&cid=16290737805467924664&os=tech-specs
liguhy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 19:05    Post subject: Necroed! Reply with quote
I'm wanting to add two 40mm fans off the 12V pos and gnd pins on the back of the router's pcb. Is it safe to just solder two wires stripped from a 3-pin fan adapter to each pcb pin and seal with some hot glue? I would then plug the two fans into the 2-pin fan plug on the other end, saving having to mod some nicely sleeved fans. The heatsink on the main chip is a few mm to tall to mount a fan directly on top, so I have two to each side exhausting air. I assume enough air from side and bottom vents will ensure airflow.

I don't think I need to lower any voltage, but I do have a fan controller taken from an old laptop cooler that would be fun to mod. Unfortunately, it isn't powering any of my fans, even with the original ac adapter.

Advice on either would be wonderful! I can post pictures of the fan controller if desired.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: