JFFS on free disk / flash space

aberas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 0:38    Post subject: JFFS on free disk / flash space Reply with quote
Is there a way to add the unused part of the disk in which dd-wrt x86 is installed as a jff2 file space?
I've installed it in a 4gb HDD and want to use the rest to do some nasty tests :)

But my linux is pretty outdated and I´m totally lost...
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
you can manually create own partitions with the fdisk utility
but you cannot just jffs2. jffs2 is for mtd block devices too. there is a mtd emulation but this is very buggy and caused the wrap hanging problem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:24    Post subject: I really want another partition. Reply with quote
The default DD-WRT hard disk image contains 4 primary partitions all marked as system type 83 (Linux) so you can not add more partitions without deleting partition 4.

I used dd to make a backup of part4 to a file in /tmp and then I deleted part4 and created an extended partition here instead. I then tried to recreate the part4 inside the extended partition and use dd to restore the contents, but since none of the existing partitions was on cylinder boundaries I ran into trouble.

So how does one create a last partition of ext2/ext3 that fills the rest of the hard disk space? It could be used to store log files and other 3rd party components.

An explanation of the partitioning layout that DD-WRT uses would be nice too.

Edit: Fixed language.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
you must extend part3 and recreate part4 in the same size. everything else will create troubles with the registered version

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
And is it possible to add, instead, a second disc?
Although I don´t think I´ll be able to do neither... Sad
Yesterday I spend almost 2 hours just to find the right dev to list the partitions with fdisk... really, my linux IS rusty!
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
no. sind all four are already used its not possible. you can just increase the size of part3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally I installed another HD and was able to mount it.
Thanks for the help.
Now, into the next doubt...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: