Built-in SMB Server Support?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
spaaarky21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 13:02    Post subject: Built-in SMB Server Support? Reply with quote
Has there ever been much talk about adding a SMB/CIFS server to DD-WRT? I know you can install it but I was wondering if it would ever be included in the install with a nice GUI config page. Anyone?

Brandon
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
no....since most of us dont live in the winshit world
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
But at least rudimentary samba to support Master Browser thing with ver.255 priority and nmb(wins)?
It would be great when connecting some guest laptops. Since such machines sometimes create havoc in wifi-lan when fighting for privelegy to be master, or searching any and every IP for SMB names... simple samba(nmb) resourse cache would solve this problem of MS.
Hale
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
here
http://g300nh.blogspot.jp/2010/06/samba-sharing-in-dd-wrt.html
it is written that there's a samba in WZR-HP-G300N DDWRT firmware actually embedded.

Do we have it in Open community WHR-HPG300N DD-WRT?

Can we use it for WINS(nmbd) name serving and machine discovery (smbd) services?

(Sash, don't talk about winshit world, because it is not MS, who invented SMB. And still it is the best and easiest way for machine/printer discovery in small subnets. The problem here is in MS who tries to make life harder for those who not pay for their server OS versions. SMB/WINS services are not a problem, but a solution. Personally, I run wonderful MS-Network discovery services on Samba3+bind9+dhcp under busybox in my lab. I want the same simple services at home inside my router.)
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have samba on mine? Its under the services tab, nas setup. Enable samba.

I am assuming this is what you are looking for?

The port 80 forwarding bug with out reapplying settings appears to have been fixxed.

3 Buffalo WZR-1750DHP - DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

6 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

all in eoip configurations, some with vlans running wep and wpa.

Some with proftp enabled and smb enabled. Mixed ISP from Timewarner cable, Cox Cable and AT&T Uverse.
Hale
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I don't have it on Bufallo WHR-HP-G300N.

Basically, the reason to the absence is that there is no USB port soldered.

But still, if I am not mistaken, the hardware is similar, as well as the firmware. Samba3 has not that big profile to implement it with intention for WINS and Master Browser serving (without actual share on the server). I don't see why developers didn't include this feature. Maybe that was Microsoft's personal request? Other way it would ruin "windows home server" sales.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hale wrote:
No, I don't have it on Bufallo WHR-HP-G300N.

Basically, the reason to the absence is that there is no USB port soldered.

But still, if I am not mistaken, the hardware is similar, as well as the firmware. Samba3 has not that big profile to implement it with intention for WINS and Master Browser serving (without actual share on the server). I don't see why developers didn't include this feature. Maybe that was Microsoft's personal request? Other way it would ruin "windows home server" sales.

You are mistaken in all above.

The hardware is different,
SMB is not a small package.
Microsoft does not dictate what features dd-wrt put into the firmware.
Hale
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

You are mistaken in all above.

The hardware is different,
SMB is not a small package.
Microsoft does not dictate what features dd-wrt put into the firmware.

Dear LOM. I have some experience with SAMBA to tell you, that the wrong side here is YOU.

Samba, actually, can be very small if you don't use a lot of addons and huge user and printer databases.
If I am not mistaken, SAMBA was implemented even in one of Oleg's f/w variants for ASUS.

You don't need SAMBA4 to support master browser and WINS. Samba2 would fit well.

At least you already have a "slim samba" in your project, which I believe can be reduced further for the pure network resource discovery needs.

LOM: "Microsoft does not dictate what features dd-wrt put into the firmware."
Hah! Who knows. MS was busted doing this many times.

P.S.
Different hardware?
Is Atheros AR7240 that different from AR7242?
There's a new USB, which is not needed in WHR model.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hale wrote:

Different hardware?
Is Atheros AR7240 that different from AR7242?
There's a new USB, which is not needed in WHR model.

The cpu does not dictate how much of program modules there is space for in the flash..
There is no space for anything more in your router.
Hale
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
removing QoS, which does not work (and was never working well) will do the work. Removing all that hotspot, wol, even wds stuff that almost no one uses (anyway wds doesn't work between different f/w versions). Can't believe there's no spare mb for reduced smbd and nmbd builds. I believe there is much more, actually. I repeat, no one needs samba sharing in this router, and any authentication and FS support as a result.

The master browser feature is really useful. The difference with and without is obvious, just start it (with force master/ver. 255) and see.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hale wrote:
Can't believe there's no spare 1-2 mb for reduced smbd and nmbd builds. I believe there is much more, actually.

Your WHR-HP-G300N has 4MB of flash. Maybe you should familiarise yourself with your router so that you understand what its limitations are.

dd-wrt is not built for you only, what you consider useless functions is useful functions for others.
OpenWRT is the place for those who want to pick their own features.
msantos2007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hale wrote:
Removing all that hotspot, wol, even wds stuff that almost no one uses (anyway wds doesn't work between different f/w versions).

You can always invest some money buying a better router, instead of suggesting removing important features. Remember: IT IS JUST A ROUTER.
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
msantos2007 wrote:
Hale wrote:
Removing all that hotspot, wol, even wds stuff that almost no one uses (anyway wds doesn't work between different f/w versions).

You can always invest some money buying a better router, instead of suggesting removing important features. Remember: IT IS JUST A ROUTER.

That is a great idea....

The port 80 forwarding bug with out reapplying settings appears to have been fixxed.

3 Buffalo WZR-1750DHP - DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

6 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

all in eoip configurations, some with vlans running wep and wpa.

Some with proftp enabled and smb enabled. Mixed ISP from Timewarner cable, Cox Cable and AT&T Uverse.
Hale
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
dd-wrt is not built for you only, what you consider useless functions is useful functions for others.
OpenWRT is the place for those who want to pick their own features.

No, but make something useful with this little space. Why do you keep that trash no one can use in your f/w ?
It is better to put something useful.

And windows is something EVERYONE use (I mean 99.99% SOHO routers' users).
And windows in home LAN heavily depends on SMB resource discovery.
So, SAMBA master browser feature is useful to EVERYONE.
Even to those people who don't know what it is!

Last edited by Hale on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:04; edited 1 time in total
Hale
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
msantos2007 wrote:
Hale wrote:

How important can be anything that DOES NOT WORK!?

Those features are useless on the subj. model/platform.

WDS is completely replaced by your wi-fi bridging technique (combining AP+client). It is more stable and does not depend on chipset and f/w versions.

QoS never worked on the subj model. and so on.

P.S.
Invest in WHAT? In something that doesn't work without reboot for 6 years of development? Wouldn't you show something worth investing first?
Pardon me for aggressive language, but you asked for it. Ignoring true facts and common sense never brings anything good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: