Make DD-WRT Dumber (Act as a Switch)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
trogdor1138
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:46    Post subject: Make DD-WRT Dumber (Act as a Switch) Reply with quote
Alright, so after unsuccessfully attempting to keep a reliable connection to my ISP (this thread), I've given up on DD-WRT's PPPoE support. Instead, by a stroke of luck I've acquired a D-Link firewall which is now connecting to my ISP and hosting internet access. As such, the poor Linksys router is now relegated solely to the task of acting as a wireless access point for laptops. The router in question is a WRT54G running build 12548 (micro plus since it's a version 8 ).

Here's where things get complicated; I want the router to act as a switch with a wireless AP with absolutely no routing functions. The router will be plugged into a switch, which will be connected to the firewall, which establishes and protects the internet connection. I need the router into the switch, and not the switch into the router, because my house is wired for gigabit, the switch is gigabit, and I do lots of streaming and transfers across the local network between PC's and a PS3, all of which are gigabit-enabled (WRT54G is only 100 MBit on all ports). DHCP will be taken care of by a Server 2008 R2 box on the switch, and although I don't think it affects the situation, the Server 08 box also provides RADIUS authentication for wireless clients. I'm good with Server 2008 and have both DHCP and RADIUS configured and tested.

From past training and certification classes, I understand subnets and the differences between hubs, switches, and routers. I'm just having difficulty on the specifics of configuring DD-WRT, and I'm not the most familiar with Linux systems and iptable commands. In the GUI, I've set the router to act in routing mode as opposed to gateway, and on the VLAN page I've set all ports to be on the same VLAN, or at least I believe I have. If anyone can help with the specifics of getting this done, I'd be most appreciative.
Sponsor
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wiki - Linking Routers

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
trogdor1138
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, somehow I missed that article when searching. I understandably found plenty in the wiki concerning bridging and switching involving wireless, but not the page on just a switch. I actually had already done pretty much all of that, and it turns out my error was actually in DNS configuration, not DD-WRT.
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad you got it figured out.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: