can I copy table of mac addresses from router to router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Glen_S
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 17:10    Post subject: can I copy table of mac addresses from router to router? Reply with quote
Because of my semi rural location, I am not that concerned about someone piggybacking or hijacking my wireless connection and I'm just using a MAC filter to only let MAC addresses in the list access the wireless. Over time this list has grown a lot, with two wireless webcams, 3 ipod touch units, 3 home laptops and each of my older kids laptops when they come and visit.

Rather than re-enter each mac address in one at a time in my new router, is this info stored in a table/flat file some where so I could just copy the file to the new router?

just wondering..
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
it depends on the router as far as wl0 goes..

from telnet or the commands tab:

nvram show|grep wl0_maclist

copy the output and save it as a text file.

to put it back:

nvram set wl0_maclist="paste the saved maclist here"
nvram commit

then reboot the router.

I'm pretty sure you need quotes.. I don't have my notes in front of me. I do this with my mac filter list, port forwards, port range forwards, and static leases.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I never thought of doing the port forwards etc. that's a good idea. In my case it's from a WRT54GL to a WRT610N
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Something else you might also look for is frater's "backup essential" script. (There is a thread for it. Check the "Peacock" thread for thread location.) It takes the entire contents of nvram and saves it to several scripts. (All, essential, dangerous and preferred.) While I realize you are just wanting specific settings, you could at a minimum take the resulting scripts and remove non essential data that you do not want to transfer and the result would be a convenient script you can move from router to router.

Basically it does what barryware suggests, but the backup script takes it to a whole new level. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:
Something else you might also look for is frater's "backup essential" script. (There is a thread for it. Check the "Peacock" thread for thread location.) It takes the entire contents of nvram and saves it to several scripts. (All, essential, dangerous and preferred.) While I realize you are just wanting specific settings, you could at a minimum take the resulting scripts and remove non essential data that you do not want to transfer and the result would be a convenient script you can move from router to router.

Basically it does what barryware suggests, but the backup script takes it to a whole new level. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Fraters script is actually how I figured out how to save & restore the settings.. The script is a great piece of work but I found it easier & faster to just use telnet and copy & paste the "nvram set" for just the few areas of the config that are a pita.

Unless you have some type of storage on the router, you need to logon, enable ssh, then use winscp or something to get the restore script to the router to and then execute it.

On my router(s) that are just AP's, I only need mac filtering.

On my main router, I use mac filtering, port forwarding, port range forwarding, and a few static leases. All the rest of the settings are just a couple of clicks.

So I find it faster & easier to just use telnet to copy & paste my nvram set's

Navigation

Jump to: