Client Bridged issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
androx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:08    Post subject: Client Bridged issues Reply with quote
Hello. I'll preface my question by saying that I'm running DD-WRT v24 RC-5 (11/22/07) micro on a Linksys WRT54Gv8 / GSv7. The reason I haven't upgraded to a more recent firmware is because my question is about Client Bridging through DD-WRT in general.

I just moved and where I'm at now has a Linksys running default firmware, this is the main router. My DD-WRT router is the client. I followed instructions online for Client Bridging and have it working really well aside for one thing.

The problem is that I noticed earlier today that traffic from the internet that is aimed at a specific port that I manually initiate such as VNC fails to go through.

The Firewall is off on the DD-WRT and enabled on the stock Linksys.

I've spent the past few hours fiddling around with the various settings, disabling and enabling everything I can think of. Switching to Repeater bridged instead of client bridged. I set up/removed Port forwarding on both routers because I wasn't sure which needed the settings. I'm inclined to think the stock Linksys needs it since my DD-WRT has routing disabled.

In the article I used for configuration I found this http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge#Limitations which basically explains that the routing tables are messed up because everything behind the client-router shares the same MAC.

So my question (and the reason I haven't gone through the trouble of updating firmware yet) - is this a limitation of the client bridge mode (dupe MAC) that will happen regardless of upgrade and cause this forwarding issue. Or will upgrading fix the issue, I don't think it will because the comments on that link make reference to the latest firmware release I believe. Or is this forwarding issue not even related to the client bridge mode and I need to start looking elsewhere for a fix?

Its really a weird problem because everything else works such as web traffic, all my devices behind the DD-WRT can see each other as well as other computers wirelessly connected to the Linksys can see everything behind the DD-WRT.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks for any help.
Sponsor
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Upgrading will not change that issue. It is how bridging works. However, you should upgrade to a recent build, as that build is subject to the milworm exploit. Put 13525 Micro on the router.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll go ahead and get it upgraded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: