Hardware and Config recommendation

Alphadog7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 15:12    Post subject: Hardware and Config recommendation Reply with quote
Greetings. I am kind of new to anything beyond basic wireless.

I have been tasked with setting up a wireless network over several large warehouse type buildings. It will require several WAP's to cover the whole area. Each WAP can be wired, that is not a problem - but we want them to appear as one - not multiple WAP's. The other thing is that we need two networks with separate SSID's, one password protected that is private, and the other is open on routed to the DMZ.

Questions:

Do I need separate WAP's to handle the two networks? Or is there some hardware that will automatically separate the employee and guest aspects?

What is the best way to make multiple WAPs work together seamlessly and appear as one WAP to the user?

I would appreciate any hardware and configuration suggestions...

THANKS!!
Sponsor
I'mPlanB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will need some "industrial strength" products beyond the Linksys, and other, wireless routers and access points. You will need products from Symbol or Cisco to get your goal accomplished. Their WAP products communicate with a back end switch/controller in the wiring closet to control multiple WAPs. The WAPs have different SSIDs which correspond to different VLANs for guest, employee, etc. One such setup is at Sacramento City College in Sacramento, CA. They are using Symbol products, have three VLANs/SSIDs through out the system. One can roam from one area of coverage into another, as long as they overlap, and not loose connection. Employee authentication is through an https:// page to the local MS Active Directory in the backend. In 2000, Microsoft installed their first 802.11 wireless system on their Redmond, WA, campus. There was one SSID for the entire campus. One could roam throughout any building and maintain coverage with authentication handoffs performed between the WAPs (thick APs). Hardware and software has improved dramatically since then to provide a switch/controller for the wireless intelligence and then use WAPs with radios and very little smarts (a thin AP). You will also need some of the products similar to those provided by AirMagnet for wireless surveys and management.

This should get you pointed in the right direction. Let me know if you need more info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: