QoS broken ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Hybrid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:30    Post subject: QoS broken ? Reply with quote
I have tried just about everything on my Linksys WRT54GL (dd-wrtv23SP1 final) to make QoS behave. What I have found out is that the upload and download box does in fact limit the upload/download speed to approximatly what has been set in settings. It seems as though the router completely ignores the priorities set, no matter whether they are MAC address or IP based.

Is this true ? if not what am I missing ?
Sponsor
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's working here, using the last build.

Here's my QoS config:

Donater
Hybrid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see you only use service priority. Have you had succes prioritizing using MAC and/or IP addresses.
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
That did worked at the time I tested it, but that's over a month ago. So I can't help you there.

Donater
Hybrid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
can anyone else perhaps offer some insight?
stellarenergy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:41    Post subject: Port-based QoS Reply with quote
I've tried QoS with both V23 and V23SP1. I have two VOIP ATA's attached to a WRT54G.

The QoS works OK, but does not guarantee trouble-free time on the telephone. I have set the ports that have ATAs attached to "Premium" and the ports with PCs attached to "Bulk". However, if the PCs are downloading - for example using bittorrent - the voice quality on the telephones gets choppy, unless I manually set the torrent download speed to a low value in the torrent application.

The voice quality does seem to be better with QoS than without - but I thought it would ensure that my voice traffic was not noticeably impacted.

Most people seem to use service-based QoS, but I need port-based. I'm waiting to see if this is improved. If they get it right, I'll donate!
dageekkid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
MAC based priority is designed for the LAN and wireless too allow internal traffic to communicate...

The Port based priority is maybe what you are looking for...
stellarenergy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:03    Post subject: Yes, I use port-based Reply with quote
Maybe my last post was ambiguous; I DO use port-based QoS, but it does not seem to work as I expected.

Since my PCs are attached to ports which I have set to "Bulk", I expect that their traffic will only use 'spare' bandwidth that is available - and because the ATAs are attached to ports I have set to "Premium" I expect that their traffic will always have priority.

But I notice that the voice quality of the VOIP phones is affected by traffic on the PCs - that's why I don't think port-based QoS is working fully.

I'm interested in the reports of other's experience too.

MC
swinn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
From the DD-WRT wiki:

"NOTE: Ethernet Port Priority only works on older, ADM based, chipsets. That is, the Linksys WRT54G v1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and the WRT54GS v1.0."

WL520gU (Routing)
Running DD-WRT v24 SP2 - http://www.dd-wrt.com
stellarenergy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:58    Post subject: Port-based QoS Reply with quote
I'm using a WRT54G V2. I've had it a couple of years and it works well.

So I was expecting the port-based QoS to work... Wink

MBC
dageekkid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do not see a reason for the LAN based QoS as 100 Mbps should suffice the data you send thru the local LAN.... I would suggest to activate the WAN only QoS based on App, hence this should allow your VoIP to be more stable.
stellarenergy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 14:15    Post subject: Clarify? Reply with quote
I'm not sure what you are proposing - and I'm willing to try it if I can understand it.

By "activate the WAN only" do you mean Changing the setting for "Port" to "WAN"?
What you mean by "based on App"? Given that these ATA devices are both external, I'm not sure what you mean.

Looking forward to learning from you.

MBC
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
As noted before, port priority wil most likely NOT WORK on any recent device.

I believe everyone should forget about port priority, forget about mac priority, and focus on service based priority settings and see where that gets them.

I myself have the same settings (even the bandwidth! Razz) as shown in the screenshot above, and use only service priorities; basically, everything skype is premium, nothing else, audio and videostreams are express and ptp are all bulk. The rest is therefor untouched.

Seems to work great. Skype voice qual. is very good nowadays, although I must admit that the people that use that box do not often use any heavy ptp stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
These are the settings that seem to work well for me:

bla.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.34 KB
 Viewed:  23757 Time(s)

bla.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why is it that MAC priority is only intended for internal LAN traffic, if that's so why does it not state so on the help pages or wiki? (yes I am a Noob with QoS.... Enlighten me).
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: