Senao/engenius 9750g activation

HardwareTinkerer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:04    Post subject: Senao/engenius 9750g activation Reply with quote
Hello all

I have an old engenius router in my drawer which I would like to deploy. Basically for tinkering, getting to know dd-wrt and as a second access point. The thing is of course that engenius never posted an updated firmware. Luckily there is dd-wrt. Unfortunately this router from 2008 is considered 'professional' equipment and requires an activation license. Which seems odd to me since it's 2016 and new, much better and more capable hardware is probably cheaper than the license fee and will probably save me a lot of work too. But just binninng this nice old router seems a waste too...
Is the 'activation requirement' just a rudimentary requirement that did not get updated/released to free use or is there some other logic behind this? i would hardly consider this router to be professional or high end these days. Can anyone shed a light on this? Thanks
Sponsor
arfyness
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:18    Post subject: Re: Senao/engenius 9750g activation Reply with quote
HardwareTinkerer wrote:
i would hardly consider this router to be professional or high end these days. Can anyone shed a light on this? Thanks

I agree with the points you make. I came across one of these discarded from business use precisely because it is obsolete now (it is not managed, and is not capable of growing traffic). This one is ECB9500, but anyway, as I'm tinkering with it for home use, was thrilled to see there's a DD-WRT build for it. But for such an old and comparatively limited device, I have a delimma to pay the Professional Registration. It would be pretty simple to buy better used hardware (one which does not require activation) and wind up costing less.

For the WPA2 vulnerability, there is no fix from the manufacturer since it's been discontinued for many years.

The root of the question then: Does "activation required" hardware always require activation indefinitely, or does that restriction get lifted at some time after the hardware becomes obsolete for actual professinal use?

To anyone who knows, can you shed some light on this for us?

Thank you.

-nf
khanjee884
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 22:45    Post subject: agree Reply with quote
agree with you

Navigation

Jump to: