Boot off USB, fresh install. Default login not working

Beakwood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:00    Post subject: Boot off USB, fresh install. Default login not working Reply with quote
I installed dd-wrt public image on USB and booted using PC Engine apu2. It worked once before but I installed OpenWrt on hdd and when I tried to boot off USB. It works fine but i can't log in both gui and command line with defaults. admin/admin and root/admin. I always get the message of incorrect password. I even installed latest image along with I believe the older one I used from 02/10 I believe. No matter which one i boot from. I can't log in. My only guess at this time is installing it on my hdd but defeats the purpose of using my usb for on the Go etc. I used the public_serial.image's both x86 and x64. Everything boots fine I get internet but cant login gui and cli.

What can I do to fix this?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why would you use the public serial image and not the vga image?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Beakwood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

I figured I should use the serial due to using a serial cable. But I will try the VGA image and report my findings.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Beakwood wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:

I figured I should use the serial due to using a serial cable. But I will try the VGA image and report my findings.

So you are accessing the webUI over ethernet, then... running headless with no monitor, then? That really makes things interesting. Are you able to log in via serial? I was thinking you were not on a headless system, sorry for the confusion.

Now, my question is, is the usb read-only or read-write?

----------------------
Beakwood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Beakwood wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:

So you are accessing the webUI over ethernet, then... running headless with no monitor, then? That really makes things interesting. Are you able to log in via serial? I was thinking you were not on a headless system, sorry for the confusion.

Now, my question is, is the usb read-only or read-write?

Yes, that's corect. I try both the webUI and putty at the gateway and I am presented with loging in using the username and password.

Both in the putty and webui it states that the password is incorrect.Even after flashing various firmwares. The very first time I installed DD-WRT on the USB it worked, password and all. But since I formatted the USB and installed Openwrt then formatted and back to DD-WRT. It's stating that I am inputting the wrong username and password. Which should be default right? I remember the first time I ever installed on the USB, it did ask me to change password. But that was on the first time ever installing on the USB device. Since i've installed it afterward using different versions. I've been getting the error about wrong username and password.

To answer your question, it's read and write USB.

edit:picture below is what you insisted on flashing the VGA firmware. But as you stated.

second edit: I just flashed with the latest image
02-28-2020-r42557

and everything is working now.
I dont know what the problem was. But this is working
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
So now you are able to login to ssh/telnet and webUI just fine? I'm sure there have been issues with x86 builds, but I have not kept up with them. I think the vga image just adds vga output if you have a supported graphics card, but otherwise is the same as serial. Don't quote me on that.

----------------------
Beakwood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
So now you are able to login to ssh/telnet and webUI just fine? I'm sure there have been issues with x86 builds, but I have not kept up with them. I think the vga image just adds vga output if you have a supported graphics card, but otherwise is the same as serial. Don't quote me on that.

For a couple of days. I was able to use dd-wrt with no problems. Then yesterday, tried logging in. Then the problem begin to happen again. The only settings I tinkered with as the QoS. That's it. Just set speeds and tried various queuing disciplines and couple days was fine. Then last night, the problem stated in OP happened. Couldn't log into the ssh/webui. Same "invalid password". Going to see if a new firmware has been released(due to what's seems to be daily releases).
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
42617 was released today. Upgrade and then see if the issues resolve. I would have to back-track the commits to see if something somehow broke the x86 builds.

----------------------
Beakwood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
42617 was released today. Upgrade and then see if the issues resolve. I would have to back-track the commits to see if something somehow broke the x86 builds.

I'm currently using the build now as it always recognizes my previous configs like MAC clone address to obtain IP from ISP. Even wiping the USB multiple times with rufus and windows disk utility. I forgot to mention that in my previous statement as the other possibility. But I'm using the internet typing this message on the 42617 build. I cannot log into ssh/webui but can surf the net.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try default root/admin? Did you previously set a different password and forgot it? Where the heck is the nvram stored on that thing if you wiped your usb drive?

----------------------
Beakwood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Did you try default root/admin? Did you previously set a different password and forgot it? Where the heck is the nvram stored on that thing if you wiped your usb drive?

It was a negative. root/admin and admin/admin didn't work. I leave them as default.

Lol. It was mentioned that there is no NVRam as stated on the PC Engine forums here.

Quote:

PC Engines firmware does not utilize CMOS for NVRAM storage and configuration. Whole configuration is stored in flash. Unfortunately, BIOS updates overwrite the configuration, which I understand is undesirable.

We have an idea how to solve the things. it is just a matter of time till it will be available, providing the means and tools is on the firmware roadmap

So I'm confused as it worked a few times here and there.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not 100% familiar with the x86 images and nuances. That's rather weird that it just crapped out like that. I'm surprised tatsuya46 hasn't opened a ticket and blasted BrainSlayer about this issue, unless it is specific to your specific hardware.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/X86

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, I didn't know DD-WRT supported HuC6280!

I'll show myself the door.
Beakwood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Yeah, I'm not 100% familiar with the x86 images and nuances. That's rather weird that it just crapped out like that. I'm surprised tatsuya46 hasn't opened a ticket and blasted BrainSlayer about this issue, unless it is specific to your specific hardware.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/X86

I believe this to be the case. As it would be widely documented as to others facing similiar issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: