WZR-HP-G300NH - Endless reboots after Buffalo to DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
loudmouth92804
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 0:29    Post subject: put command Reply with quote
how do you point tftp at the firmware file. I've tried the command below numerous others without success. I always get a file or directory cannot be found error. Where do I need to put the firmware file so tft put function can find it? I'm using ubuntu.

tftp> put /media/usb/xxx.bin
Sponsor
Gingernut
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Should be in your user root directory or before starting tftp use the cd command to go to the directory where the firmware file is.

Something like:

cd ~/media/usb/
loudmouth92804
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:18    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote
Gingernut wrote:
Should be in your user root directory or before starting tftp use the cd command to go to the directory where the firmware file is.

Something like:

cd ~/media/usb/

Thanks...that worked. Now at least i'b back to the stock firmware.
spaaarky21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
memdump20 wrote:
From what all the posts are telling me this far, this particular units can't run DD-WRT at this time.

I bought these specifically for DD-WRT and can't wait for official support (I think June).

Guess I need to go with ASUS RT-N16. Seems to work and has great reviews with DD-WRT.

It's weird. Some people seem to be able to use DD-WRT without any trouble and others are bricking their routers. Mine router came with 1.60 and the web update to DD-WRT didn't work. I was able to reflash it over TFTP but only to the latest version of the Buffalo firmware. The router responded with an error when I tried to upload wzrhpg300nh-160.

Quote:
received ERROR <code=0, msg=Unsupport HW>

I was able to install wzrhpg300nh-172 without any trouble at all. And disappointingly, buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-EU-US.bin didn't work using TFTP or doing another web update with the updated Buffalo firmware in place. I'm really hoping I'll be able to use DD-WRT in the future because the stock firmware is pretty sketchy.

On a side note, I got the WZR-HP-G300NH to replace an RT-N12 that I bricked. And I mean really BRICKED. Not to mention that a lot of people who successfully flashed the N12 ended up going back to the stock firmware because of reliability issues. That was the N12 but I would be sure to do some more research on the N16 before buying. Just my two cents.
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bricked my router as well, the Wiki still should be updated to reflect this is not working.
ring69
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is in a bit of the same subject ...

hi guys, i have a problems ... i have upgrade my router to 1.72, but now i can even install dd-wrt or open-wrt via tftp ! i try even on the web interface.

can some one help me out ?

can é downgrade back? please ?
xaric
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 22:12    Post subject: OpenWRT ... no WiFi Reply with quote
I am in the same boat as everyone else. Just got my G300NH from NewEgg today, and went through the same rigmarole as everyone else.

I flashed the OpenWRT listed on this thread. It loads, but MANY features do not work, including WIFI. I flashed back to 1.72, and will run that until DD-WRT is working. Sad

Another Mac OSX "arp" trick

In order to run the "arp" command, eth0 MUST be plugged into a network (any network works ...). Once you run the command, unplug it, and plug it into the Buffalo.

Are there any other flavors of DD-WRT that work on this router? Besides the two listed on the hardware page which do NOT work ...
justin22885
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
haha, all you have to do on openwrt is go into the package manager and click "kmod-ath9k" for installation and your wifi works just fine

im running openwrt just fine with all features, i even have an external hdd installed that im using for file sharing, a media server, and to download torrents to, i also have a torrent client installed and working fullly
sonicj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:31    Post subject: Re: OpenWRT ... no WiFi Reply with quote
xaric wrote:

Another Mac OSX "arp" trick

In order to run the "arp" command, eth0 MUST be plugged into a network (any network works ...). Once you run the command, unplug it, and plug it into the Buffalo.

nice! i bet thats where im messing up. any other deviations from the linux procedure that you can recall? thanx!
-sj
ermax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got mine today from Newegg and tried flashing to DD-WRT and sort of bricked mine but was able to get it back under Windows 7. Here is what I did.

First I set my IP static to 192.168.11.2.
Then at the cmd prompt I typed 'route print' to find the number of my network addapter. In my case my nic is number 11.
Then I added a static arp entry like this (arp -s didn't work):
netsh interface ipv4 add neighbors 11 192.168.11.1 00-1d-73-b3-6f-d3

Note the 11 in that command above is the adapter number found using route print and the mac is the number printed on the sticker on the router as SSID.

Now I just pulled the power plug out and then typed:
tftp -i 192.168.11.1 PUT wzrhpg300nh-165
Then I plugged it back in and then hit enter. It will sit for about 20secs and then finally transfer. The diag light flashes for about 5mins and then reboots and come back up with the original firmware.

BTW, tftp isn't installed by default in Win7. To install it go into 'Add or remove programs' and then in the left pane click on 'Turn windows features on or off' and then scroll down to 'TFTP Client'.

Now I need to try OpenWRT.
justin22885
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
beautiful, a windows 7 method... i love it.. anyway, try the latest RC2 backfire release for this router, should work just fine
ermax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I loaded that version of OpenWRT and got almost everything working the way I wanted it. I switched the WiFi to 40mhz and then changed the channel and the router hung up. I couldn't access it via WiFi or ethernet. I pulled the plug and now I am stuck with a rapid flashing WAN LED. I just reflashed it and have to start all over. :)

Oh, one other thing. QoS doesn't seam to do anything. I set my cap very low and still get 30Mbits down and 4Mbits up.
xaric
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
justin22885 wrote:
haha, all you have to do on openwrt is go into the package manager and click "kmod-ath9k" for installation and your wifi works just fine

I did that... and installed all the packages you recommended. However, I have had nothing but problems with it. First, several of the menu options error out. Example: Essentials -> Network -> DHCP gives me:

Quote:
/usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:338: Unable to read UCI data: luci_ethers
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error'
/usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:338: in function '__init__'
/usr/lib/lua/luci/util.lua:70: in function 'Map'
/usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/mini/dhcp.lua:63: in function 'func'
/usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:91: in function 'load'
/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:663: in function 'target'
/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:363: in function 'dispatch'
/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:129: in function </usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:128>

I get 30% packet loss on wireless (set it up as WPA2, 40 Mhz, tried all channels, still only get 130 Mbps connection) Note: I get 0% loss pinging the router, but anything on the net, I get 30% loss. However, a wired connection, I get 0% loss. And anytime I make even the simplest changes to the router, I have to power-cycle, or else lose the WAN DHCP capability to get an IP from my ISP. (The IP Address for the WAN disappears, and I cannot get back on the net until I pull the power)

Frustrating.

Justin, if you read this, and feel like posting the OpenWRT you compiled, I'd love to try it.

Sorry everyone for the rant ... I hope to get this up and working soon ... !
sonicj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
xaric wrote:
And anytime I make even the simplest changes to the router, I have to power-cycle, or else lose the WAN DHCP capability to get an IP from my ISP. (The IP Address for the WAN disappears, and I cannot get back on the net until I pull the power)

Frustrating.

you could try doing most of your setup behind another router. let your old router deal with the ip leases, set a static ip for the hp-g300nh.
justin22885
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
sonicj, to flash my router i plug it into my laptop, but to supply internet to that router for configuring i have to use internet connection sharing with my desktop, and when i do this i also have to power cycle to get the internet back, however.. plugged directly into the modem once i get wifi installed, i dont have that problem, so its only when im supplying internet via ICS that i get it

and as far as QoS goes, i cant help you there, ive never used this feature on any router before, never had to, but i did get samba and transmission working flawlessly already
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: