WZR-HP-G300NH - Endless reboots after Buffalo to DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
aturnbul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 23:17    Post subject: Buffalo firmware v1.60 Reply with quote
Oh, I also notice that you have the v1.60 firmware file. My router rejected this file as having an "invalid format". I could ONLY get the v1.65 and v1.72 firmwares from Buffalo to work and the OpenWRT firmware.
Sponsor
sonicj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
thank you very much for the detailed replay aturnbul! i will try this on linux a bit later and report back my findings.
cheers!
-sj
BDawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been able to use the arp command to alias the MAC address of the router on OS X (have to set ifscope, see below).

sudo arp -s 192.168.11.1 00:1D:73:B3:70:B9 ifscope en0

Now the transfer starts. Instead of constantly resetting, the router stays on and flashes the diag light twice and repeats a second later. I assume in this mode, it's waiting to accept a firmware.

I still have a problem though. I get the following error after a few "send" commands.

tftp> put wzrhpg300nh-160.bin
putting wzrhpg300nh-160.bin to 192.168.11.1:wzrhpg300nh-160.bin [octet]
sent WRQ <file=wzrhpg300nh-160.bin, mode=octet>
received ACK <block=0>
sent DATA <block=1, 512 bytes>
received ERROR <code=0, msg=Unsupport HW>
Error code 0: Unsupport HW

Any ideas? Maybe there's a problem with the file? I might try 172 as well. 160 was always fishy because it came as a .exe that I had to move to windows to run and extract and then copy back.
misfit123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 0:35    Post subject: buffalo 1.65, 1.72, openwrt on new WZR-HP-G300NH US Version Reply with quote
Same issue with my experiences this weekend. Buffalo 1.65, 1.72, and openwrt's snapshot work perfectly flashing via tftp.
However, the buffalo web interface under 1.72 is accepting the buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-EU-US.bin, progressing the flash to 100%, then endlessly cycle rebooting every 15 secs. I dont have serial access yet to see why this occurring.
BDawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using the correct arp command and using the right firmware (1.60 DOES NOT WORK) put the router back where it was supposed to be.

My next question to those who have brought your router back from the dead is, what's next? Did you try to flash to DD-WRT again successfully? Did you flash using the "obsolete" method?
aturnbul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:10    Post subject: Life after "death" Reply with quote
I've tried almost every file I can find but nothing loads on the router except 1.65, 1.72 and OpenWRT. Doesn't matter which method I use: tftp or webgui.

I can always get it back to Buffalo firmware so I;ve tried many different things since "bricking" the router. Nothing seems to work.

Obviously, something is different. I don't know how others got this to work.

Glad yours is working now, even if it's only sort-of working :)
BDawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:22    Post subject: Re: Life after "death" Reply with quote
aturnbul wrote:
I've tried almost every file I can find but nothing loads on the router except 1.65, 1.72 and OpenWRT. Doesn't matter which method I use: tftp or webgui.

I can always get it back to Buffalo firmware so I;ve tried many different things since "bricking" the router. Nothing seems to work.

Glad yours is working now, even if it's only sort-of working Smile

Well that's disappointing... Perhaps I'll wait this out. There should be something when it becomes "official." I don't have any experience with OpenWRT and DD-WRT has been good to me for so long.

Which OpenWRT firmware did you use? This router doesn't show as supported on their site.

Thanks for all of your help!
uiaa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:42    Post subject: Re: Life after "death" Reply with quote
BDawg wrote:
aturnbul wrote:

Glad yours is working now, even if it's only sort-of working Smile

Well that's disappointing... Perhaps I'll wait this out. There should be something when it becomes "official." I don't have any experience with OpenWRT and DD-WRT has been good to me for so long.

Which OpenWRT firmware did you use? This router doesn't show as supported on their site.

Thanks for all of your help!

this one should work:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03-beta/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-tftp.bin

I also rename all firmwares to *.tftp just in case(dd-wrt/openwrt: from *.bin to *.tftp, official firmware: add a .tftp extenstion), not sure if its necessary, and tftp always works for me.
sonicj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
BDawg wrote:
Using the correct arp command and using the right firmware (1.60 DOES NOT WORK) put the router back where it was supposed to be.

My next question to those who have brought your router back from the dead is, what's next? Did you try to flash to DD-WRT again successfully? Did you flash using the "obsolete" method?

excellent news bdawg! did you use a tftp program or did you do everything from terminal?
BDawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
sonicj wrote:
BDawg wrote:

excellent news bdawg! did you use a tftp program or did you do everything from terminal?

Everything from terminal. I think you have to since the magic step is aliasing the router's MAC address to 192.168.11.1.

Because I'm sitting here watching my team get whipped by Kentucky by 30, I figured misery loves company, so I tried again.

Webupdate from Buffalo to DD-WRT - Failed (reboots)
TFTP bricked router using Brainslayer's file - Tranferred, but back into reboots
TFTP bricked router using 1.72 - Back to Buffalo firmware
memdump20
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
First and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone for jumping on this thread and providing very valueable information on resolving this issue.

It's nice to see people are recovering the "bricked / semi-bricked" units with ubuntu live CD.

From what all the posts are telling me this far, this particular units can't run DD-WRT at this time.

I bought these specifically for DD-WRT and can't wait for official support (I think June).

Guess I need to go with ASUS RT-N16. Seems to work and has great reviews with DD-WRT.
Slax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone on backfire confirm that the wifi connection stays at 300Mbps, unlike ddwrt?

Thanks.
chris12892
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
memdump20 wrote:
First and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone for jumping on this thread and providing very valueable information on resolving this issue.

It's nice to see people are recovering the "bricked / semi-bricked" units with ubuntu live CD.

From what all the posts are telling me this far, this particular units can't run DD-WRT at this time.

I bought these specifically for DD-WRT and can't wait for official support (I think June).

Guess I need to go with ASUS RT-N16. Seems to work and has great reviews with DD-WRT.

I have a G300NH that I bought from Microcenter a few days ago.

It works just fine with DD-WRT, never really had issues.
mindugo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anybody knows what's the difference between those 2 OpenWrt builds?

openwrt-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-jffs2-tftp.bin

and

openwrt-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-tftp.bin

Thanks.
hrnfan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:22    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!
The instructions posted on this thread worked for me.

A couple of things for the non linux user- me!

To enable universe repositories-
1. Prior to booting with Linux Live CD connect the computer to a working wired internet connection. This will allow you to update in the next step.
2. After booting into the live cd, follow these directions.
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-enable-the-universe-and-multiverse-repositories-in-ubuntu-804-hardy.html

3. If you need help navigating directories in linux so you can get to your firmware file:
http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/direct.html

4. Dont know if this is necessary but I copied my firmware file into the linux documents folder for easy navigating and I renamed the firmware extension to end in ".tftp".

May seem trivial to most but took me a long time to figure this out. I hope it helps.[/url]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: