WZR-HP-G300NH - Endless reboots after Buffalo to DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
memdump20
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 13:09    Post subject: WZR-HP-G300NH - Endless reboots after Buffalo to DD-WRT Reply with quote
Had two of these routers new shipped with Buffalo Firmware 1.65.

Attempted to flash to DD-WRT using the buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-EU-US.bin file.

Problem is now the routers are in an endless reboot cycle.

Power On: Red Diag light stays light for 15 seconds. Then all lights come on for a few seconds. Then the process repeats over and over.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to recover this router at this point in time?
Sponsor
wilsteiger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 13:02    Post subject: Re: WZR-HP-G300NH - Endless reboots after Buffalo to DD-WRT Reply with quote
memdump20 wrote:
Had two of these routers new shipped with Buffalo Firmware 1.65.

Attempted to flash to DD-WRT using the buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-EU-US.bin file.

Problem is now the routers are in an endless reboot cycle.

Power On: Red Diag light stays light for 15 seconds. Then all lights come on for a few seconds. Then the process repeats over and over.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to recover this router at this point in time?

I am no expert, but I would suggest posting what you have done to fix this on your own... If you have done nothing start with the 30/30/30 reset.
BDawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm in the same situation. This is the first router I've bricked after using DD-WRT for 2 years.

1. 30/30/30 Reset - No Change
2. Ping to 192.168.11.1 - Request Timed Out
3. Ping to 192.168.1.1 - Request Timed Out
4. Slowed NIC to 10Mb half duplex - Request Timed Out
5. Put a switch in between - Request Timed Out
6. Put on network with DHCP server (changed IP address of server to 192.168.1.2) - Request Timed Out
7. TFTP dd-wrt file to 192.168.1.1 - Timeout Occured
8. Tried to find the Linksys TFTP client, but it doesn't exist in it's listed location.
aturnbul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 20:06    Post subject: I don't think it's bricked Reply with quote
I have exactly the same problem. I got my router from Newegg three days ago. Firmware was 1.65. Flashed with the recommended binary from database (buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-EU-US.bin) using Buffalo webgui. After flash and waiting 15 minutes, did 30/30/30. Now I have the cycle of 15 seconds with diag LED on, brief flashing of all LEDs, about 4 seconds with all LEDs off... repeat. In this condition, a 30/30/30 has no effect no does anything else (reset button, etc) except powering off.

The router is not bricked, however. This router appears to briefly enter a flashable state whenever you first apply power to it (using IP 192.168.11.1). Following the very detailed and clear instructions in the Wiki, you CAN use tftp to flash the WZR-HP-G300NH. Simply read the directions under the heading "Old install procedure (now obsolete)" - which is certainly NOT obsolete. You should note that you probably cannot do this on a Windows (of any flavor) machine - you probably need a linux machine. I used Ubuntu.

None of the images given in the database or on the DD-WRT forum actually worked for me - either through tftp flash or the webgui - and I tried all I could find including the recommended binary, the buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-JP-EU-US.bin, the buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin, etc. All of these files produced exactly the same pattern of endless reboots (LEDs flashing in the same sequence).

I was able to flash the Buffalo firmware 1.65, the Buffalo firmware 1.72 and the OpenWRT firmware using the tftp method. Buffalo firmware 1.60 and 1.66 were both rejected by the router as invalid images.

Does anyone have any idea why recent devices appear to be unflashable with the DD-WRT images? Alternatively, has anyone got any suggestions on how to get the router to accept the current (apparently signed) binary in the database?

Thanks for any help. I only got the router because it "supported" DD-WRT. The stock firmware is horrible.
BDawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 20:29    Post subject: Re: I don't think it's bricked Reply with quote
aturnbul wrote:

I was able to flash the Buffalo firmware 1.65, the Buffalo firmware 1.72 and the OpenWRT firmware using the tftp method. Buffalo firmware 1.60 and 1.66 were both rejected by the router as invalid images.

Where did you get Buffalo 1.65, from Buffalo or was it from here?

Did you ever get a ping response at 11.1 or were just able to FTP?

I'll give this a try with my Mac.
BDawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 21:03    Post subject: Re: I don't think it's bricked Reply with quote
BDawg wrote:
aturnbul wrote:

Where did you get Buffalo 1.65, from Buffalo or was it from here?

Did you ever get a ping response at 11.1 or were just able to FTP?

I'll give this a try with my Mac.

I gave this a try with the Mac, following the obsolete instructions. After 7 or 8 tries of no response, the tftp process starts, but after 7 or 8 updates, I get no response again and the router reboots.
aturnbul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 21:06    Post subject: Buffalo Firmware Reply with quote
You can get the 1.72 firmware from the Buffalo website (www.buffalo-technology.com, select your region then got to the downloads section) and the 1.60, 1.65 and 1.66 versions are on the EU site. 1.72 is on both the EU and US site.

Once I start that endless cycle of diag LED on, all on, all off, etc. the router doesn't respond to anything. The ethernet ports on the switch reset every 15 seconds or so and drop any connection.

The only way to flash is to start the tftp transfer before you power up the router (make sure your router switch on the back of the device is in the "on" position), then plug the router in. You should see the transfer take place within about 5 seconds. After tftp reports it's transferred the file, the diag LEG will start to flash every second or so. This doesn't happen right away so be patient. The LED will continue to flash on/off for about 5-10 minutes as the router flashes and resets. Eventually, all of the other LEDs will come on and the DIAG LED will go out. Wait about 5 minutes after that, then do a 30/30/30. You should be able to see the router webgui at 192.168.11.1 after that.

Of course, this just gets you back to Buffalo's firmware but at least you know your router isn't bricked :)
BDawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 22:06    Post subject: Re: Buffalo Firmware Reply with quote
aturnbul wrote:
You can get the 1.72 firmware from the Buffalo website (www.buffalo-technology.com, select your region then got to the downloads section) and the 1.60, 1.65 and 1.66 versions are on the EU site. 1.72 is on both the EU and US site.

Once I start that endless cycle of diag LED on, all on, all off, etc. the router doesn't respond to anything. The ethernet ports on the switch reset every 15 seconds or so and drop any connection.

The only way to flash is to start the tftp transfer before you power up the router (make sure your router switch on the back of the device is in the "on" position), then plug the router in. You should see the transfer take place within about 5 seconds. After tftp reports it's transferred the file, the diag LEG will start to flash every second or so. This doesn't happen right away so be patient. The LED will continue to flash on/off for about 5-10 minutes as the router flashes and resets. Eventually, all of the other LEDs will come on and the DIAG LED will go out. Wait about 5 minutes after that, then do a 30/30/30. You should be able to see the router webgui at 192.168.11.1 after that.

Of course, this just gets you back to Buffalo's firmware but at least you know your router isn't bricked Smile

I don't think my every really works because I get the same error whether I try sending to 11.1 or 1.1.

I get no route to host and then after a couple of tries (doesn't retry automatically, I have to send the command repeatedly), it says it's sending the file a few times and then I get no route to host again.

Here's what I get. I've tried both ethernet ports and the router port, switch on and off.

tftp> put wzrhpg300nh-160
putting wzrhpg300nh-160 to 192.168.11.1:wzrhpg300nh-160 [octet]
sent WRQ <file=wzrhpg300nh-160, mode=octet>
tftp: sendto: No route to host
tftp> put wzrhpg300nh-160
putting wzrhpg300nh-160 to 192.168.11.1:wzrhpg300nh-160 [octet]
tftp: sendto: No route to host
sonicj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
aturnbul, thanx for the glimmer of hope! Smile

bdawg, are you trying this on your mac or a linux machine? im getting the same no-go results on the mac with the buffalo firmware, so i'll load up linux in a bit and try step by step. does the file you got from buffalo have a extension? cheers!
-sj
sonicj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
i wonder if the port position matters???
BDawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
sonicj wrote:
aturnbul, thanx for the glimmer of hope! Smile

bdawg, are you trying this on your mac or a linux machine? im getting the same no-go results on the mac with the buffalo firmware, so i'll load up linux in a bit and try step by step. does the file you got from buffalo have a extension? cheers!
-sj

It's on a Mac (10.6). I don't have anything Linux.

There doesn't seem to be an extension on the filename. If I put a different name it says invalid filename.

Maybe I should name it .bin.

E: changing to .bin doesn't help. I still get no route to host, the "successes" you see above, and the host is down.
uiaa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try to run the arp commond on your Mac(arp -s ...), if its not available/not working, I guess you still have to get a Linux machine.
BDawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
uiaa wrote:
Did you try to run the arp commond on your Mac(arp -s ...), if its not available/not working, I guess you still have to get a Linux machine.

The arp command is the only part that didn't transfer. I didn't worry since the tutorial said it probably didn't matter.

macbook-pro:WZR-HP-G300NH bdawg$ sudo arp -s 192.168.11.1 00:1D:73:B3:70:B9
Password:
cannot intuit interface index and type for 192.168.11.1

E: Is it possible to make a CD boot disk for Linux and use that on a Windows machine? Would it be able to read from NTFS?
uiaa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's actually not optional per my understanding -- as the router wouldn't broadcast arp during startup so we have to add a manual entry, and that's why the tftp process wouldn't go through under Windows.

And yes, Linux LiveCD on Windows machine will work and I use Ubuntu LiveCD, not sure about Mac but if you can find a proper one, it should also work.
aturnbul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 23:12    Post subject: Flashing WZR-HP-G300NH Reply with quote
Friends,

I'm not an expert by any stretch but what I explained worked on my router after the conditions you describe. A few things: the files from Buffalo do not have any extension but that doesn't matter as you're transferring the file in binary anyway. TFTP won't change any of the bits and the router doesn't examine the name - just the bytes.

You need to follow the steps in the Wiki page exactly EACH TIME you want to transfer an new image. Every time the ethernet port is reset, you will lose all the settings you've entered so you have to repeat it. You cannot try one flash and then, without leaving TFTP, try again - it won't work.

The "sudo arp -s 192.168.11.1 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" command is very important because there is no other way for your system to identify the destination MAC (you haven't powered on the router yet and it doesn't set up its ethernet port properly anyway once it's "bricked"). Get the MAC address from the label on your router (it's the SSID but you have to put a ":" after every byte or two characters).

I don't know if a Mac will work - I have one but haven't tried it. Comments elsewhere in the forums lead me to suspect issues. You can download the Ubuntu LiveCD and use that.

When the router is powered on, it will briefly enter a state where it can be flashed via tftp. This state doesn't last long but it appears that if the router sees a data stream at this point in time, it will accept it. During this "preboot" or flash cycle, the IP on the router is always 192.168.11.1 regardless of what you set it to in firmware. Thus, your ethernet port (eth0) needs to be somewhere on the same subnet - 192.168.11.2 will work fine.

The "router" switch on the back of the router should be in the "on" position. It doesn't matter which of the switch ports you use on the back of the router but don't use the WAN port. Any of the four black ports are switch ports (use one of them). The blue port is the WAN port (don't use this one).

Hope this helps. All it does is get you back to the Buffalo firmware. I couldn't get the router to accept any of the DD-WRT firmwares regardless of how I tried.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: