Packet prioritization and Bandwidth management on build14117

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates
fdelgaudio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:22    Post subject: Packet prioritization and Bandwidth management on build14117 Reply with quote
Hi folks, first of all a huge "thank you" for all the work made on this firmware, I strongly believe that is one of the best out there.

I'm using the build std-14117 and I'm quite happy about this build (a part a few bugs in the web gui related to the settings for the Mac filtering into the wireless section; but this can be easily fix using the direct link to that specific page and BS seems already fix it in the next build).

I really enjoy the traffic shaping settings, which is really a spectacular feature: what is not clear to me is how to setup packet prioritization too: with the non special firmware, this was usually a matter to define the proper class for a specific IP/Mac/Protocol and then the packet was prioritized in the proper queue.

I'd like to prioritize my skypeout packet to have a decent voice quality and I don't like to use the layer7 protocol because often such mechanism is producing a lots of false positive "match" prioritizing traffic that should not be prioritized at all (for instance, a lots of p2p encrypted traffic will receive a "Premium" (which is assigned to the skypeout protocol) just because the fingerprint of some encrypted p2p packet match the one from skypeout; ok it not "always" working in this way but often it happen and the overall quality (for skype traffic) is then going down.

For instance, if you look at the layer7 compatibility protocol list, skypeout is reporting as "probably working ok": http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/protocols
Here my question: there is any way to set both shaping and prioritization based per IP/Mac and not only for layer7 filtering?

Thanks a lot for your kindly answer Wink
Sponsor
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: