MTU gurus, need your help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
pls
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 16:00    Post subject: MTU gurus, need your help Reply with quote
I am trying to connect to a VPN using the pptp client in DD-WRT. The VPN is a simple w2k3 server. Here's the setup.

I have my home network, normal DSL+Wireless

In my home office (next room over from the main router) I have a a WRT54GL. I have it set up as a wireless client of the main network. I want to plug all my work machines in here physically.

I can connect via the pptp client to the VPN just fine, but the connection is agonizingly slow (drops from megabits to kilobits) and drops frequently so I am assuming there is an MTU problem somewhere. The problem is, I don't know where to fix it!

Windows 2003->Internet->DSLRouter/wireless->WRT54GL->Client

From testing from the client using ping -f, without using VPN, I seem to have a MTU of 1464. When I turn on VPN, the max MTU drops to 1360.

The question is....what should I set MTU to on all the different devices? Should I only worry about the client? Is there something I can do on the WRT54GL so all the clients I plug in work (change the mtu of br0??) Do I also need to make a change on the w2k3 server? When I use the microsoft VPN to connect inside of a single machine, it seems to work spiffily.

HELP!
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: