Router failing?

j1mm3rs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:48    Post subject: Router failing? Reply with quote
I have a Linksys WRTG54G with DD-WRT v24-sp2 loaded on. For the past few days I've been needing to reboot my router because my internet will come to a grinding halt. Under the status screen, my used memory and total available are sitting over 95%. The active IP connections are usually 95-100%.

Now I do quite abit of downloading and online gaming. We have another PC that is used quite a bit aswell.

Do you think the router is on the way out? Or is it that the router simply can't handle all the demands?

I've been reading alot on the forum lately about new routers. I imagine the Asus RT-N16 or Netgear WNDR37000 would be a good upgrade? I'd of course want to load on DD-WRT firmware but I've read the Asus one is still quite buggy.

Thanks!
Sponsor
ABW
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
What version of DD-WRt are you using
r13064?? or what
You may want to upgrade it first and see if that fixes it

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

support@abetterwireless.com

Wireless is supposed to be fun LMAO
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
What version of 54G you have. Alot of information is lacking in your post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
What version of 54G you have. Alot of information is lacking in your post.

I have version 5.
j1mm3rs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
ABW wrote:
What version of DD-WRt are you using
r13064?? or what
You may want to upgrade it first and see if that fixes it

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

The firmware I have installed is DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro - build 13064.
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is a neutered router, bout the best you could really do with a version 5 is client bridge or repeater or maybe as part of a WDS setup. You need a router with more meat to it. I have an Asus RT-N16, it's got what you need, even a WRT54G-TM with 32 meg a ram is pretty good. the 8 and 16 meg router don't handle a load very well. I started out my wireless adventure with a WRT54G v8.2 and I am here to tell ya, it sucked for a main router.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
That is a neutered router, bout the best you could really do with a version 5 is client bridge or repeater or maybe as part of a WDS setup. You need a router with more meat to it. I have an Asus RT-N16, it's got what you need, even a WRT54G-TM with 32 meg a ram is pretty good. the 8 and 16 meg router don't handle a load very well. I started out my wireless adventure with a WRT54G v8.2 and I am here to tell ya, it sucked for a main router.

Thanks for the reply! I figured the router just couldn't cut it anymore. The Asus RT-N16 seems like a beefy router! I'll probably pick up one of those! Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: