NoCatSplash - Can SPLASH.HTML be modified on the router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
DrNo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 18:10    Post subject: NoCatSplash - Can SPLASH.HTML be modified on the router? Reply with quote
First I want to thank anyone for taking the time and willing to help me solve this problem, regardless of the degree difficulty (or simplicity).

What I would like to know is how to modify the SPLASH.HTML file on the router so that the NoCatSplash page will use it with the changes remaining even after a reset of the router?

I'm able to get the NoCatSplash feature to work fine with the splash page being hosted on an external web server, but for me this is just a novelty feature. I would like to be able to store and host the SPLASH.HTML file on the router so that the NoCatSplash feature will not rely on an external web server.

Even though this is a small issue, it is a deciding factor for me and one that has me thinking that I may need to purchase the Sveasoft firmware if I am unable to find an answer for the DD-WRT firmware.

Again, I appreciate any help in resolving this issue.
Sponsor
jpark
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Presuming your router has room for jffs, place the spllash page in jffs/nocat
DrNo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I try to copy a file into the jffs dir, I get the error "Read-only file system" and I am unable to create a nocat directory.

My assumption is that it is read-only because the JFFS folder is within the area that is flashed, but I understand that this could be a poor assumption. Is there a commander to give me write access or am I just doing the whole thing wrong?

Is there a simpler way to do this, like being able to unpack the firmware to modify the SPLASH.HTML and then repack the files and flash it to the router?

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I'm using WinSCP and have a WRT54Gv2 router running DD-WRTv23 SP2.
jpark
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using a WRT-54GS, which has more memory than the standard WRT-54G. I don't think the standard version has enough memory to support a writable jffs partition.

I did read here some time back that you can flash the (mini?micro?) version of dd-wrt, modify the jffs file, then reflash to full dd-wrt. Don't know if that works, but might be worth a try if you don't need to frequently modify the nocatsplash file.

(Additional thought: have your tried the nokaid version? It might give you enough free memory to use jffs.)
tomnsc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 17:45    Post subject: nocat splash Reply with quote
I have it working with the splash page stored on the router.

You need to download the nokaid version of dd-wrt to enable jffs.

You can find instructions on setting up nocat in the wiki but the key is that jffs will not work with the standard version you need the nokaid version.

Then setup jffs with clean jffs; telnet to create the /jffs/nocat directory. Then copy your splash.html into it using WinSCP.

It works just like it's supposed to now.
cwolff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 19:21    Post subject: nocat splash Reply with quote
Thank you sooo much tomnsc!!!
oliflyer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have just implemented DD-WRT V24 RC7 NEWD nokaid on a LinkSys WRT160N, enabled NoCatSplash and "jffs2", created the nocat directory via Telnet and used WinSCP to uploaded a splash page in the nocat directory. Unfortunately after the router has rebooted, the "/nocat" directory is gone (or I cannot see it) and if I try to recreate it, I cannot, I get the Read Only error!

I am not familiar with all of this so I may be doing some trivial mistakes.

Thank you for your help,
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: