Setting up Chillispot on virtual interface only

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
dpetrek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:20    Post subject: Setting up Chillispot on virtual interface only Reply with quote
Hi,

I would like to set up hotspot on my Buffalo WHR-G54S device. After reading wikis@dd-wrt.com there are several configurations available like:
One Network Subnet-move all clients (LAN & WIFI) to Chilli
Two Networks, WiFi separated from LAN-move only wireless users to Chilli.
What I want is a third scenario and that is create additional wireless virtual interface and apply Chilli on itself only. How would I accomplish this, is that possible?

Thank you.

Regards,
Drazen
Sponsor
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:25    Post subject: Re: Setting up Chillispot on virtual interface only Reply with quote
dpetrek wrote:
Hi,

I would like to set up hotspot on my Buffalo WHR-G54S device. After reading wikis@dd-wrt.com there are several configurations available like:
One Network Subnet-move all clients (LAN & WIFI) to Chilli
Two Networks, WiFi separated from LAN-move only wireless users to Chilli.
What I want is a third scenario and that is create additional wireless virtual interface and apply Chilli on itself only. How would I accomplish this, is that possible?

Thank you.

Regards,
Drazen

this is not a third choice but only the second! ;)

when separate lan from Wlan, Chillispot act on a Vlan separate from your local network.

And if you want to have it on another ssid just add a wlan and select it on chilli interface.

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
dpetrek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
after adding wl0.1 interface, i have LAN, WLAN and WLAN under "DHCP interface" on Chilli settings page.
tried choosing third option, however after router restarted i can't connect to my default wireless network anymore only to hotspot network.
after i disable chillispot i can connect to both networks without problems.
i could also manually create additional bridge br1 and assign wl01 to it. is it neccessary to manually create bridge after adding additional virtual interface for Chilli?
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
dpetrek wrote:
after adding wl0.1 interface, i have LAN, WLAN and WLAN under "DHCP interface" on Chilli settings page.
tried choosing third option, however after router restarted i can't connect to my default wireless network anymore only to hotspot network.
after i disable chillispot i can connect to both networks without problems.
i could also manually create additional bridge br1 and assign wl01 to it. is it neccessary to manually create bridge after adding additional virtual interface for Chilli?

what kind of relaase do you use? V24 ? V24 SP1? V24 SP2?

because settings are different between release..

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
dpetrek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
v24 sp1
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to read the forum announcements and update to a current version to be able to choose a VAP interface for chillispot.
dpetrek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
upgraded to build 13525 as recommended.
now i see wl0.1 in Chillispot to use, however after reboot again wl0 can't be connected to, same as before.

so now I have:
Separate Wifi from the LAN Bridge: enable
DHCP interface: wl0.1

are there some kind of instructions available to set up Chilli on virtual interface?

also, is there some kind of support available for donators or paying customers?

Regards,
Drazen
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Add wl0.1 to a bridge (br1) like you talked about above. Wireless interfaces, especially VAP's, have trouble being unbridged.
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
dpetrek wrote:

also, is there some kind of support available for donators or paying customers?

Are you talking about dd-wrt or chillispot stuff?

dpetrek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
setting up Chillispot on dd-wrt Smile
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
dpetrek wrote:
setting up Chillispot on dd-wrt Smile

If you pay for a CSP account you will have this kind of support.

icestation
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 19:50    Post subject: Chillispot messes up DHCP on eth1 (wl0 Physic) if VAP on br1 Reply with quote
HW: WRT54GS V2.1 CGN4
fw: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/18/09) mega - build 13491M VINT Eko

Hi phuzi0n,

I notice that you are a VAP guru, so I thought I should make your life interesting. Regrettably, I am fresh out of e-beer, so I am falling back on asking you a challenging question instead.

I followed your guide:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs

Works perfect. I am using same authentication (WPA2 Personal) on both the VAP(wl0.1) and physical AP (wl0).

When I turn on Chillispot, and point the Chillispot DHCP to br1 (the VAP) then the problems start.

br1 works fine. The authenticated wireless user on the VAP gets Worldspot, logs on, and all is good. However on wl0 (first SSID) an attempt to associate results in "Acquiring IP Address", followed by connection drop, followed by "Acquiring IP Address" and then a final drop.

I have seen this behavior before, and have come to associate it with an explicit DHCP request rejection. So my present working theory is that the explicit bridging specified on the SSID config page for first SSID (Physical Interface wl0) is getting hosed up by the Chillispot configuration. (Yes I did specify "Separate" on the Chillispot config)

I suppose the easiest way to work around this to turn off the bridge button on the first SSID (not the VAP) and then assign an explicit DHCPd in the Multiple DHCP Server dialog box for br0, same as I did for br1?

I will try this tonight, but in the meantime, is there a better way to do it using the GUI?

It looks like dpetrek (in this thread) is seeing this same issue.
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 23:55    Post subject: Re: Chillispot messes up DHCP on eth1 (wl0 Physic) if VAP on Reply with quote
icestation wrote:
HW: WRT54GS V2.1 CGN4
fw: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/18/09) mega - build 13491M VINT Eko

Hi phuzi0n,

I notice that you are a VAP guru, so I thought I should make your life interesting. Regrettably, I am fresh out of e-beer, so I am falling back on asking you a challenging question instead.

I followed your guide:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs

Works perfect. I am using same authentication (WPA2 Personal) on both the VAP(wl0.1) and physical AP (wl0).

When I turn on Chillispot, and point the Chillispot DHCP to br1 (the VAP) then the problems start.

br1 works fine. The authenticated wireless user on the VAP gets Worldspot, logs on, and all is good. However on wl0 (first SSID) an attempt to associate results in "Acquiring IP Address", followed by connection drop, followed by "Acquiring IP Address" and then a final drop.

I have seen this behavior before, and have come to associate it with an explicit DHCP request rejection. So my present working theory is that the explicit bridging specified on the SSID config page for first SSID (Physical Interface wl0) is getting hosed up by the Chillispot configuration. (Yes I did specify "Separate" on the Chillispot config)

I suppose the easiest way to work around this to turn off the bridge button on the first SSID (not the VAP) and then assign an explicit DHCPd in the Multiple DHCP Server dialog box for br0, same as I did for br1?

I will try this tonight, but in the meantime, is there a better way to do it using the GUI?

It looks like dpetrek (in this thread) is seeing this same issue.

if you plan to use chillispot you don't need to create a new vlan. When you set separate wifi from ethernet this create a special vlan with dhcp running on it. just stop after adding new Wlan and set your chillispot running on Wl0.1 will solve your issue

icestation
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:56    Post subject: Disabling br1 makes it worse Reply with quote
Bonjour yzy-oui-sans-fil,

I have followed you recommendation. Specifically:

a) Configured two SSIDs, both bridged
b) Set DHCP interface on Chillispot to wl0.1
c) On the Networking tab, removed all special DHCP and extra bridges - default config.
d) Apply Settings + Reboot
e) Power Cycle

Now both SSID interfaces are behaving badly, namely they will associate, reject the DHCP request and drop.

Also, in this same thread, I note that phuzi0n comments:

phuzi0n Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:17 am Post subject:
Add wl0.1 to a bridge (br1) like you talked about above. Wireless interfaces, especially VAP's, have trouble being unbridged.

So I am back to my original question.

Merci,

IS
icestation
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:54    Post subject: Found a config that works. Solved! Reply with quote
No need to disable bridging on the SSID config page. Just add a third bridge, put eth1 into it and voila!

br1 with wl0.1 is the chillispot interface
br2 with eth1 is the regular private WLAN for the site.

Voila!.jpg
 Description:
Configure two WLANS: a physical SSID and a VAP SSID both with bridging on, broadcast on, and isolation "off" on th VAP. Point Chilispot DHCP to wl0.1
 Filesize:  49.65 KB
 Viewed:  24435 Time(s)

Voila!.jpg

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: