DD-WRT support for verizon 7501 bulit by westell

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
dragon042
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:41    Post subject: Re: v7501 working as client bridge printserver with wpa2/aes Reply with quote
ghoffman wrote:
v7501 working as client bridge printserver with wpa2/aes!
i've set my v7501 as above. connects to wpa2/aes main router, and can wirelessly share usb printers.
i've added the p910nd print server software into /WFIO via a usb stick once. it then survives reboot.
thus thus setup does not need a usb stick to launch.

to set up:
1. reset router, disable public lan, and disable dhcp on private lan (see page 49)
2. upload custom frewall script below. save, then apply, then reboot.
3. copy p910nd and usblp.ko onto an empty usb stick, and mount this stick on the router. (see page 44 post from anonomouse)
4. copy these files to the folder /WFIO on the router by telnetting in:
telnet 192.168.1.202
cp /var/usb_mount/p910nd /WFIO
cp /var/usb_mount/usblp.ko /WFIO
remember, it takes a few seconds to write to /WFIO, so be patient.
5. remove the usb stick form the v7501.
6. reboot the v7501

you should be set!

the script i use is posted below. change your ssid and ssidpassword for your network. you may want to change the v7501 ip address (here it is 192.168.1.202, connecting to main router at 192.168.1.1)
good luck!
Code:

*snipped*

Hello!

First of all, I just want to thank everyone for their time and dedication into making this router usable! I just want to report my successes...

I basically followed the instructions above, but I modified it so it is for WPA, NOT WPA2. (I tried for several hours to get it to work on WPA2, with no avail. =() WPA is sufficient enough for me. My main router is an Airport Express and I configured it with "WPA/WPA2 Personal" (whatever that means; I presume WPA), and it works.

I have 3 of these v7501s, and I connected 3 printers. Namely: the Canon MX330, Canon MP190, and the Canon MP490 (all which do not have a legit CUPS driver -_-). I ended up getting PrintFab, and their drivers worked like a charm. =)

For those who can't get telnet into their router after saving the custom firewall script, WAIT! Be patient. Many times I thought it didn't work, so I power cycled, when I could have just waited and it would have worked.

So this is my tip: After saving the custom firewall script, ping your router continuously (with the IP address you put in your script, NOT 192.168.200.1). In the beginning, it will fail, but when it finally does ping back, this is when you telnet in. =)

Once again, thank you everyone here for their time into figuring out this router. My last request is to get WPA2 to seamlessly work, but I'm more than happy with what I accomplished today!

Finally, here is my script:
Code:
#! /bin/sh
/&/& /sbin/telnetd

### Settings ###
ssid='yourssidhere'
psk='passwordhere'
channel='3'
ip='192.168.1.55'
gateway='192.168.1.1'
dns1='192.168.1.1'
dns2='192.168.1.1'

### Firewall ###
ifconfig eth1.2 192.168.200.1
brctl addif br5 eth1.3
cd /var/net_mgr/exec
./FirewallInit
./FirewallNone

### Catch Multiple Executions ###
if [ -f /tmp/started ]; then exit 0; fi
touch /tmp/started

### Housekeeping ###
killall udhcpc
killall pppoe-relay
brctl delif br0 wl0
brctl delif br0 eth1.3
brctl delif br0 usb0
brctl delif br2 wl0.1
ifconfig br0 down
ifconfig br1 down
ifconfig br2 down
ifconfig br3 down
ifconfig br4 down
ifconfig usb0 down
ifconfig wl0.1 down
echo "nameserver ${dns1}" > /var/etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver ${dns2}" >> /var/etc/resolv.conf

### Wireless Client ###
wl ap 0
wl wet 1
wl channel $channel
wl scan
wl scanresults
ifconfig wl0 $ip
killall nas
nas -P /var/nas.sta.pid -H 34954 -i wl0 -S -m 4 -k $psk -s $ssid -w 2 -g 3600 > /dev/null 2>&1 &

### Set up bridge ###
while [ $(ping -c 1 $gateway | grep -c "1 packets received") -eq 0 ]; do echo 1 > /dev/zero; done
brctl addif br5 wl0
ifconfig wl0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig eth1.3 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig br5 $ip up
route add default gw $gateway br5

### Print Server ###
hostname printserver202
mknod -m 660 /var/dev/lp0 c 180 0
mknod -m 660 /var/dev/lp1 c 180 1
mknod -m 660 /var/dev/lp2 c 180 2
mkdir -p /var/lock/subsys
mkdir /var/printserver
while [ ! -f /var/printserver/p910nd ]
do
cp /WFIO/p910nd /var/printserver/p910nd
done
cp /WFIO/usblp.ko /var/printserver/usblp.ko
chmod +x /var/printserver/*
insmod /var/printserver/usblp.ko
killall p910nd
/var/printserver/p910nd -b -f /var/dev/lp0 0
/var/printserver/p910nd -b -f /var/dev/lp1 1
#/var/printserver/p910nd -b -f /var/dev/lp2 2

### Keep Alive ###
while [ $(ping -c 1 $gateway | grep -c "1 packets received") -eq 0 ]; do echo 1 > /dev/zero; done
foo='$('
echo "while [ 1 ]; do
  if [ ${foo}ping -c 1 ${gateway} | grep -c '1 packets received') -eq 0 ]; then
    brctl delif br5 wl0
    ifconfig br5 0.0.0.0
    ifconfig wl0 ${ip}
    ping -q -c 2 ${ip} > /dev/zero
    ifconfig wl0 0.0.0.0
    brctl addif br5 wl0
    ifconfig br5 ${ip}
    route add default gw ${gateway} br5
    ping -q -c 31 ${ip} > /dev/zero
  fi
  ping -q -c 2 ${ip} > /dev/zero #one second pause
done" > /tmp/keepalive.sh
sh /tmp/keepalive.sh &
Sponsor
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:14    Post subject: Re: v7501 working as client bridge printserver with wpa2/aes Reply with quote
dragon042 wrote:
Once again, thank you everyone here for their time into figuring out this router. My last request is to get WPA2 to seamlessly work, but I'm more than happy with what I accomplished today!

i think that you have to set your host router to wpa2/aes ONLY. this means you cannot have wpa or tkip enabled; disabling tkip will also increase your transfer speed.

edit:
i've attached a .zip of your wpa script, my wpa2 script, the required printserver files, and a readme.
edit: scripts updated to set permissions correctly

7501client.zip
 Description:
scripts, binaries, instructions for wpa/wpa2 client and printserver

Download
 Filename:  7501client.zip
 Filesize:  17.75 KB
 Downloaded:  1094 Time(s)

Last edited by ghoffman on Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:45; edited 3 times in total
BBBexodus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been trying to flash this thing, anybody flash theirs with the resultant App.upg of the westell source?

I don't have a 64 bit system to build the source so all I have is the "App.upg_renamedto.bin" file that bricked at least one router. You can unpack the filesystem with firmware-modification-kit (squashfs 2.1, under /trunk/src/squash-fs-2...), the stock filesystem (mtdblock2) has a lot more files than that of App.upg_renamedto.bin.

If I edit out the mtdblocks on the stock router to resemble "App.upg_renamedto.bin", I can flash it to the router (at least that's how it looks), but then I am stuck with the same kernel and filesystem as when I started, and thus no conformation of it really having worked or not. Any attempt to modify and re-squash the stock filesystem (using the supplied squash-tools in the westell source) fails (does not brick, just won't let you upload). Combining the "App.upg_renamedto.bin" kernel with the stock filesystem will not let me upload it either.

I noticed however if I use the firmware-modification-kit's squash-tools (2.1) to rebuild the stock filesystem and try to upload the new firmware, it crashes the webserver and frees up some ram (jumps from 230k to 5300k).
rkvj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:11    Post subject: Debug help Reply with quote
Hello,

I have owned 7501 wireless router for about six months now, and have been using the earlier script put up by baba2s to make this a wireless client bridge. I haven't had much success in keeping the connection up for more than 1-2 days, and have had to reboot the 7501 every so often. I have just started using the new script uploaded by ghoffman,that has the 'keep alive' portion added. While the script worked after I put it in place, I was not able to surf using my linux box after a day or so. A reboot of 7501 did it. A day or two later, the routers got rebooted due to a power outage and I'm not able to get the clients(PS3/linux box) to get an ip addr and connect to the web. I am however able to connect to 7501 from another linux-box connected(wired) to the master wireless AP and can also ping websites(Ex. yahoo.com). Are there any log files that I can look at to debug the issue? I appreciate any help in debugging the problem.

My setup has ASUS WL-520GU running tomato_usb firmware for master wireless AP, with the 7501 running in client bridge mode. I use WPA2/AES for encryption.

Thanks
BBBexodus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Successfully flashed the router from the web interface.
I extracted the kernel (same as vmlinux.pkg) from the mtdblocks with a hex editor and followed the App.upg build dialog to append a rootfs modified from mtdblock2 to it. I also had success with a slightly modified kernel from the westell sources. Careful when you build yours to make sure everything is stacked correctly, check it with a hex editor.

There is no other way to flash this thing, from what I see accept the web interface, which is not included in the westell sources and must be provided by the stock mtdblock2. There is no tftp option in the boot loader so one little screw up in the file-system or kernel could brick your router.
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
BBBexodus wrote:
I extracted the kernel (same as vmlinux.pkg) from the mtdblocks with a hex editor and followed the App.upg build dialog to append a rootfs modified from mtdblock2 to it. I also had success with a slightly modified kernel from the westell sources. Careful when you build yours to make sure everything is stacked correctly, check it with a hex editor.

There is no other way to flash this thing, from what I see accept the web interface, which is not included in the westell sources and must be provided by the stock mtdblock2. There is no tftp option in the boot loader so one little screw up in the file-system or kernel could brick your router.

can you get the bootloader out by copying it to a usb stick (on /var/usbmount) ?
then maybe we could hack it....
davy_gravy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
BBBexodus wrote:

That is __amazing___. Well done.

Any chance you could add in p910nd, usblp.ko, and a startup script for p910nd? ... and then reroll?
BBBexodus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found two old sources of buildroot which can be used to create the toolchain at sources.nslu2-linux.org/sources/, "buildroot-svn-16948.tar.gz" and "buildroot-svn-17310.tar.gz".

Only modification needed: ~/buildroot/toolchain/kernel-headers/kernel-headers-old.makefile, and Config.in in the same folder, under linux 2.6.9, change every 9 to an 8, for linux-2.6.8.1.

Under make menuconfig, select mips, gcc 3.4.4, binutils 2.16.1, specify uclibc 9.28, I might be missing something...
daviddyer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any more progress on DD-WRT for this router? As this router has 32MB memory and USB port, it will be a perfect choice for asterisk and G access point.

Hope it can be solved soon.
davy_gravy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
being honest... I'd not hold my breath... the bootloader is proprietary and locked, and the router is no longer for sale for the sub $10 that it was for so long... in fact, it is no longer sold by Verizon, IIUC.
db2450
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:02    Post subject: Re: v7501 working as client bridge printserver with wpa2/aes Reply with quote
dragon042 wrote:

Hello!

First of all, I just want to thank everyone for their time and dedication into making this router usable! I just want to report my successes...

I basically followed the instructions above, but I modified it so it is for WPA, NOT WPA2. (I tried for several hours to get it to work on WPA2, with no avail. =() WPA is sufficient enough for me. My main router is an Airport Express and I configured it with "WPA/WPA2 Personal" (whatever that means; I presume WPA), and it works.

I have 3 of these v7501s, and I connected 3 printers. Namely: the Canon MX330, Canon MP190, and the Canon MP490 (all which do not have a legit CUPS driver -_-). I ended up getting PrintFab, and their drivers worked like a charm. =)

For those who can't get telnet into their router after saving the custom firewall script, WAIT! Be patient. Many times I thought it didn't work, so I power cycled, when I could have just waited and it would have worked.

So this is my tip: After saving the custom firewall script, ping your router continuously (with the IP address you put in your script, NOT 192.168.200.1). In the beginning, it will fail, but when it finally does ping back, this is when you telnet in. =)

<snip>

How long did you wait for it to work? I have been pinging my router for a while now and it hasn't responded. I have reset the router many times also and went through the instructions several times. Neither yours or the original script will work to let me ping the router and/or get telnet access. If anyone could provide any advice at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

The main problem I have (the reason I am not using Lemonade normally as all I want is a print server) is that I only have a USB 1.1 hub right now. The hub allows my drive to mount and properly run Lemonade but my printer which is documented to work with the normal setup is not recognized and is not shown in the Lemonade info page so advice for this would be appreciated as well. Could this be fixed just by upgrading to a USB 2.0 hub? Or is it something else?
meascom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 13:13    Post subject: Re: v7501 working as client bridge with WEP Reply with quote
I got the below script to work. My Westell now connects to my main router over WEP. I can get on to the internet if I connect my laptop to Westell via ethernet (wired). However, if I try to connect to it over wireless, it fails, and I can see that the wireless light on Westell goes off immediately after I try to connect to it. Wired still works.

Config: Same script below, but I deleted the "paragraph" around PrintServer since I dont need it. I did not upload any binaries onto the router like some have suggested since I thought they are needed only for printserver. Turned OFF Public LAN and Public DHCP. Turned ON Private LAN, turned OFF Private DHCP.
I deleted the

I would like to be able to connect to Westell via Wired as well as Wireless. Any help from the experts will be appreciated.

sheffy6 wrote:

<edited out the quote from the thankless person Smile >

Wow man... How about "Thanks for all the hard work guys. I know you have lots of other things you could be doing, so I appreciate the info you've posted here. However, I'm not smart enough to figure it out by myself. Here is the problem I'm having... <INSERT PROBLEM HERE>. Any ideas?"

I spent a couple of hours on this and I was able to get it working as a client bridge, using WEP, and as a print server. I also use it to connect my 8x8 VOIP phone to my network and it is working great! I saw the same issues you saw with the script not saving, so I did have to do a factory reset several times before I got it working (luckily it only takes a few seconds). Unfortunately I didn't write down the exact steps I took to finally get it working. However, it does work and below is my script using WEP. Props to everyone who worked on this. It's been rock solid for 2 weeks!

Also, once I got it working I could no longer connect to the web client at 192.168.200.1 (hard wired with manual IP 192.168.200.2 set for my laptop), but I can connect to the web client on 192.168.0.3.

Code:

#! /bin/sh
/&/& /sbin/telnetd

### Settings ###
ssid='MYSSID'
psk='MYWEPKEY'
channel='7'
ip='192.168.0.3'
gateway='192.168.0.1'
dns1='192.168.0.1'
dns2='192.168.0.1'

### Firewall ###
ifconfig eth1.2 192.168.200.1
brctl addif br5 eth1.3
cd /var/net_mgr/exec
./FirewallInit
./FirewallNone

### Catch Multiple Executions ###
if [ -f /tmp/started ]; then exit 0; fi
touch /tmp/started

### Housekeeping ###
killall udhcpc
killall pppoe-relay
brctl delif br0 wl0
brctl delif br0 eth1.3
brctl delif br0 usb0
brctl delif br2 wl0.1
ifconfig br0 down
ifconfig br1 down
ifconfig br2 down
ifconfig br3 down
ifconfig br4 down
ifconfig usb0 down
ifconfig wl0.1 down
echo "nameserver ${dns1}" > /var/etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver ${dns2}" >> /var/etc/resolv.conf

### Wireless Client ###
wl ap 0
wl wsec 1
wl wet 1
wl channel $channel
wl scan
wl scanresults
wl join $ssid key $psk
ifconfig wl0 $ip

### Set up bridge ###
brctl addif br5 wl0
ifconfig wl0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig eth1.3 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig br5 $ip up
route add default gw $gateway br5

### Print Server ###
hostname printserver202
mknod -m 660 /var/dev/lp0 c 180 0
mknod -m 660 /var/dev/lp1 c 180 1
mknod -m 660 /var/dev/lp2 c 180 2
mkdir -p /var/lock/subsys
mkdir /var/printserver
while [ ! -f /var/printserver/p910nd ]
do
cp /WFIO/p910nd /var/printserver/p910nd
done
cp /WFIO/usblp.ko /var/printserver/usblp.ko
chmod +x /var/printserver/*
insmod /var/printserver/usblp.ko
killall p910nd
/var/printserver/p910nd -b -f /var/dev/lp0 0
/var/printserver/p910nd -b -f /var/dev/lp1 1
#/var/printserver/p910nd -b -f /var/dev/lp2 2

### Keep Alive ###
foo='$('
echo "while [ 1 ]; do
  if [ ${foo}ping -c 1 ${gateway} | grep -c '1 packets received') -eq 0 ]; then
    brctl delif br5 wl0
    ifconfig br5 0.0.0.0
    ifconfig wl0 ${ip}
    ping -q -c 2 ${ip} > /dev/zero
    ifconfig wl0 0.0.0.0
    brctl addif br5 wl0
    ifconfig br5 ${ip}
    route add default gw ${gateway} br5
    ping -q -c 31 ${ip} > /dev/zero
  fi
  ping -q -c 2 ${ip} > /dev/zero #one second pause
done" > /tmp/keepalive.sh
sh /tmp/keepalive.sh &
wynstan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 22:12    Post subject: D. Reply with quote
D.

Last edited by wynstan on Fri Oct 14, 2011 21:00; edited 2 times in total
kenkhanh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 20:37    Post subject: Re: v7501 working as client bridge printserver with wpa2/aes Reply with quote
Hi, I've used ghoffman's script (with my own info & sans printer service) but the router would hang (not being able to browse to 192.168.200.1 or telnet to 192.168.1.250 - as set).

I tried to follow ghoffman's instructions as documented.

One thing I still could not figure out even after skimming through the entire thread/discussion is whether I really need Lemonade.

Is the admin GUI disabled after loading in the custom script?

Oh, either I replaced the default custom script or append to it, still would not work.

Being trying/looping through this a couple of times with no success. Have not had time to apply Lemonade.

Thanks.
kenkhanh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:16    Post subject: Re: v7501 working as client bridge printserver with wpa2/aes Reply with quote
Success with bridging!

This is with wpa2/aes. Printer service/daemon disabled.

I had to remove the single quotes for the "Settings". Also, had to remove all spaces in my WPA2 key.

Nice...

Thanks all who posted information.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 52 of 55
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: