IMPULSE DRIVE on my wrt54gs v1 (usb mod)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
kodak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
no - usb ground is the ground of 5V power supply; shall i connect both routers and power supply grounds or just use 5V power supply line and routers ground?

miniusb power connector is also on black isolation tape so it should be isolated; however it is not isolated if miniusb jack's case is connected to ground - i will check it and probably move it from there; this 5V power supply may be cheap - I will check it or try to find 7805

"it is also a good idea to shorten these wires" - which wires?
Sponsor
zerx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
well.....

you are suppose to connect the ground pins of the usb ports to the ground on the broad
it is the usb signal path, so the connection should be made as close to bcm5352 as possible

which wires?
all wires except the 5v power path
but this is a lower priority task, fix your ground connection first
kodak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
It works now! Thank you very much zerx :)

I have connected USB ground to board. Miniusb jack was not shorted to eth case however I still removed it. I have done the test with self-powered hdd case so currently 5V usb line is not connected.

I will find 7805 now. If i would like to try this external 5V source - where shall I connect its ground? Can I leave it unconnected?
zerx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
the ground of the power regulator should always be connected to the ground pins of the usb ports (or simply ground plane of the router if the usb devices will not draw a lot of current)

you should also make sure the source of the power regulator could supply the sufficient current
plexport
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:57    Post subject: Thanks zerx! Reply with quote
I just completed my mod. I took some pics along the way that may help others, too.

I started a wiki page on this, but I'm not a wiki guru, so it probably does not conform to the standards. Wasn't sure how to upload the pics there either:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_mod_WRT54

Here is link to the a web page I put together with pics:

http://www.plexport.com/wrt54g/

Thanks! Smile
mark4444
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am fairly new to modding the WRT54G,

I have the WRT54G V1.0 with the BCM4702 chipset.
Since the chipset supports usb in other WRT54G routers that have that chipset, is it still possible to add USB support to my router?

Mark D. G.
Sophomore @ OKSTATE UNIV
Electrical Engineering Technology -- Hardware Option
Stillwater OK
g_alin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 20:28    Post subject: pin out request ... Reply with quote
zerx,
I have a WRT54GS v.2.1 (BCM4712LKFB) do you know the CPU pin out? Can you tell me the USB pins? Or the resistors on the USB pins? If you need a picture of the PCB board please let me know ...
Thank you.
mikezs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to add a thanks to zerx for the instructions.

I've added 2 ports to my WRT54GS v4 with the instructions provided and have a 1GB pen drive and laser printer connected without trouble :)

Hot glued a couple of reclaimed USB ports from an old motherboard and didn't bother changing the resistors. Used the BS 14929 mini-usb-ftp build and enabled USB core, USB 1.1, USB Storage with automount and USB printers.

If I find an SD slot I will add this to my router too Smile
jbryantd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:44    Post subject: Re: pin out request ... Reply with quote
g_alin wrote:
zerx,
I have a WRT54GS v.2.1 (BCM4712LKFB) do you know the CPU pin out? Can you tell me the USB pins? Or the resistors on the USB pins? If you need a picture of the PCB board please let me know ...
Thank you.

g_alin,

I seem to be in the same position. I have taken a small bit of time to look into the possibility of this functionality articulating to the LKFB flavor of the 4712. I have located the mentioned pins and have circled the general locations of them. Circled is locations RH17-RH23, with RH21, more left on the PCB and seems to be a useful part of the flash memory circuit? I have not yet confirmed anything beyond mentioned as far as pin accuracy.

To me, it looks as tho in this particular case, RH10-RH16(Above crystal) have a much higher likelihood of being the proper pin outs. I would greatly appreciate any information related to start-up pin activity readings on an oscilloscope for those with a working setup of different versions. Maybe with that information I would have something more to compare with and have some level of security to base this mod on rather than speculation and curiosity, as of now, this is all I have.
seasonlau
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 18:55    Post subject: Is it only in USB 1.1? Reply with quote
Hi there. Today, I have successfully modded my WRT54GV2 with plexport's walk through. However, I found only USB 1.1 device could be accessible, says, my grandmother old Removable Disk (16MB) could be accessible with the router.

Yes, I have missed up to connect the 15K ohm resistor for test purpose but I don't think this will really mess up the speed. I got only maximum 135KB/sec when I tried to read something from my Removable Disk.

Is it really at this rate? If so, there is no meaning to BT with the router.

Regards,
Season
KingJL
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
mark4444 wrote:
I have the WRT54G V1.0 with the BCM4702 chipset.
Since the chipset supports usb in other WRT54G routers that have that chipset, is it still possible to add USB support to my router?

The answer is a resounding YES! I have successfully modified my WRT54G V1.0. It is running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/28/10) mini-usb-ftp - build 14853M VINT Eko. I have tested with a USB SD card reader/writer and a USB/SATA 300 Gb notebook drive. The modification is documented in the attached PDF.
smokinabowl
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm having problems getting this to work. after connecting a usb memory stick, or a usb printer, dmesg shows the following:

Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# dmesg
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xb8003000, IRQ 6
usb-ohci.c: usb-00:03.0, PCI device 14e4:4716
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
usb.c: registered new driver usblp
printer.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver
hub.c: new USB device 00:03.0-1, assigned address 2
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-145)
hub.c: new USB device 00:03.0-1, assigned address 3
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-145)

reading up on this message, some say that it could be due to usb 2.0 support being bugged, and should try using usb-uhci (1.1) driver instead. but i would think usb-ohci would be the correct driver for broadcom chip.

this is a 54g v5 bcm5352 chip, running a custom build of micro plus with usb and print support with compressed cfe, found here: www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58671

i have used two different usb ports thinking one might be bad. my connections are to rh21 and rh23. i replaced the 472 smd resistors with 153 (15k) resistors. i get correct resistance from rh21 and rh23 solder points to ground. i'm using a 7805 regulator for 5v power, tested and i get 4.97v (close enough?). usb ground (black) is connected to ground on the 7805, which is also connected to wrt54g power jack ground.

as soon as i plug in the usb stick, the light on it turns on for a second, then goes right back out. if needed i can take a picture.

thanks,
mike
gsustek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 20:32    Post subject: buffalo whr-g54s usb-mod Reply with quote
Hi, did you feel some wirelles signal loss after you enable usb ports,,anyone?
mvh11
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
zerx wrote:
yes...
http://www.5dwifi.cn/viewthread.php?tid=88&extra=&page=1
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/files/p1060053_182.jpg
I hate to revive old threads, but on this WRT54G v4 image, I am left with confusion, do I have to solder one onto the pads and one on the PCB, do both on the PCB, or both on the solder pads(for 1 usb port)? I realize I have to use a set marked USB1, but I don't see any clarification of what two pins I should use. Also, would I just take a 7805 resistor off of the power supply to power the USB port?
g_alin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
for WRT54G V4 use kodak image (on page 3).
The steps are:
1. replace all four resistors with 15k (two if you want only one USB)
2. solder two wires from those resistors (side on the BCM ...) to the USB connector (for USB pinout use: http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=usb+connector+pinout&pbx=1&oq=usb+connector&aq=2&aqi=g5&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=0l0l1l464l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=104ae468c6e9bd24&biw=1280&bih=909).
3. connect the USB connector GND (pin4) to board GND (close to BCM...)
4. 'make' a +5V (you can use 7805 ... ) - not recommended if you need to draw some power from USB port. If you use 7805 I strongly recommend to use a USB hub with external power supply. Connect +5V wire to USB connector pin1.
5. reflash your router with a firmware with USB support (I recommend dd-wrt.v24-......_VINT_mini_usb_ftp)

I have also a solution for USB on wrt45G V.1 (BCM4702) if some one need it ... please let me know.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: