Rosewill RNX-GX4 - Advertised as DD-WRT Compatible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Izzy84075
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems to be working. Power/status light blinks with wireless activity. Haven't tried disabling the radio yet, though. I'll test that later.

EDIT: Just disabled the radio. The light stays on solid after disabling it. Not sure if that's what's intended, but I'd rather have at least one light on, even if the radio's turned off and all the ethernet cables are unplugged.
Sponsor
Crusylicious
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, this is the first time I ever flashed a router, all of my others were versions that weren't compatable.

Anyways, I have the RNX-GX4 and was wondering how I can tell which version of the firmware to get? I first figured standard, but I've seen more than one standard on some devices.

Thanks in advance, I hope this wasn't a bad spot to post my question.
Izzy84075
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Crusylicious wrote:
Hey, this is the first time I ever flashed a router, all of my others were versions that weren't compatable.

Anyways, I have the RNX-GX4 and was wondering how I can tell which version of the firmware to get? I first figured standard, but I've seen more than one standard on some devices.

Thanks in advance, I hope this wasn't a bad spot to post my question.

The generic standard version works just fine with this one. No special tricks to this one, just point the default web interface to the DD-WRT file, hit the 'upgrade' button and wait for a while(At least 5 minutes).

As for what version number to use, I'm not sure. The one posted earlier in this thread has better support for this router, but it is a 'micro' build, so it's missing some features. Anything newer than that one, I'd think, would have the better support and your choice of features.
Crusylicious
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I guess I'll grab the standard download for now. I'm hating the default software. It randomly decides which of the ports will be open out of the ones I specified instead of opening all of them.
Crusylicious
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I turn on QoS it slows the router to a crawl. SO I have 2 questions.

1:Is this normal?
2:Is it bad for the router?
Ibrahimovic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Crusylicious wrote:
When I turn on QoS it slows the router to a crawl. SO I have 2 questions.

1:Is this normal?
2:Is it bad for the router?

about the QoS, you probably need to use some version in the website of dd-wrt shop I think~
clysher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 16:21    Post subject: can't get it to hold WAN ip Reply with quote
I have unticked the vlan 1 'w' option, saved and then re-enabled the option and applied again. The router will pick up the ip for about 12 hours or so, and then without resetting the modem or the router the router will just drop it's ip. This is resolved by disabling and re-enabling the vlan 1 'w' option again. Has anyone else had this problem?
Ibrahimovic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, never happens to me since I bought! Just curiosity, what kind of Wan conncetion type you use?
zoofer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I purchased two of these Rosewell RNX-GX4 wireless routers from Newegg a couple of weeks ago. I was going to use them as a repeater bridge after flashing them with DD-WRT. They took the web-based DD-WRT flash the first time with no issues whatsoever - unless you count the easily fixable MAC address issue as described on the first page of this thread. I immediately placed one of these routers into service as a wireless repeater and it worked like a champ!

After successfully flashing both routers, I decided to pair a different router (Netgear WNDR3300 w/DD-WRT) with one of the Rosewell routers in the repeater bridge and revert the other back to the original Rosewell firmware. I tried both of Ibrahimovic's methods (also on the first page of this thread) without success, but after reviewing the Wiki article http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_Bad_Flash I was successful using Draytek Router Tools http://www.draytek.com.au/downloads.php in restoring the original Rosewell firmware. It took me four or five attempts to get the timing of the hold reset button + insert power cord + press send button sequence just right, but eventually it worked as described in the Wiki.

Overall, I'm pretty darn happy with the performance and ease of flashing/restoring these $40 RNX-GX4 wireless routers. My thanks to all the contributors to this thread in providing the necessary information for a DD-WRT novice like myself to be successful. No way I could have done this without your help!

KC
Munden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was also able to use the webgui that came installed on the RNX-GX4 to flash the latest iteration of the standard generic dd-wrt.

http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads

then select others >> eko >> BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 >> pick a date (01-16-10-r13637 is what I am running)>> broadcom >> dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin

Don't forget to grab your MAC Address from the router before you use the update firmware in the webgui.

once you've got that mac address go ahead and update the firmware to dd-wrt.

once you've got dd-wrt up and running you'll see your mac id is 00:90:4c:c0:00:01 - you'll want to change that. Go ahead and run the administration command

nvram set et0macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

where xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is the mac you wrote down.

if you accidentally your mac then just start it with 00: and the other 5 xx can be any combination of numbers 0-9 and letters a-f.

Reboot the router and you've got your MAC address.

I've got this router absolutely flying - thanks DD-WRT crew!
albo23
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dear lord this router is amazing difficult to turn into a wireless bridge/repeater. I mean what the hell is wrong with this thing?
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
albo23 wrote:
Dear lord this router is amazing difficult to turn into a wireless bridge/repeater..

Since the dear lord didn't answer you, why not explain the trouble ? Unlike the lord, we cannot read your mind. I was able to flash from the gui, reset to defaults and get it going just as easily as any other radio. Using the WAN port or for WDS is when you need to get jiggy with it.
Drackula2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm I follwed those directions on my Rosewill and everythings seems to have flashed ok however when I try to save settings I get stuck at the apply.cgi page. I picked the latest brainslayer from 2 weeks ago if that matters.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Drackula2000 wrote:
Hmm I follwed those directions on my Rosewill and everythings seems to have flashed ok however when I try to save settings I get stuck at the apply.cgi page. I picked the latest brainslayer from 2 weeks ago if that matters.

Most likely a browser issue, clear your cache and try again, also instead of 'save' after changing settings click 'apply'

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Drackula2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Drackula2000 wrote:

Most likely a browser issue, clear your cache and try again, also instead of 'save' after changing settings click 'apply'

Well it was happening when I hit apply but clearing browser cache did the trick thanks!

This being my first ddwrt router are there any tips to get the best performance possible ect? I looked around real quick in the forum but haven't found anything yet.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: