Routers that will and won't support VLAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Confirmed the WRT160N v3.0 supports port-based vlans via the GUI and nvram with build 14929.

Label backwards in the GUI

1 2 3 4 | GUI labels
4 3 2 1 | Case labels

WRT160N v3.0's ports are mapped like this:

1 2 3 4 | case labels
4 3 2 1 | nvram port numbers

Info can be found here WRT160N v3.0 vlan info.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki

Last edited by Dark_Shadow on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:24; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Confirmed the WRT54GS v6.0 supports port-based vlans via the GUI and nvram with build 14853 micro-plus-SSH.

WRT54GS v6.0's ports are mapped like this:

1 2 3 4 | case labels
3 2 1 0 | nvram port numbers

Info can be found here WRT54GS v6.0 vlan info

Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Confirmed the WRT54GS v7.2 supports port-based vlans via the GUI.

Confirmed the WRT54GS v7.2 supports port-based vlans via nvram with build 14853 micro-plus-SSH.

WRT54GS v7.2's ports are mapped like this:

1 2 3 4 | case labels

Info can be found here WRT54GS v7.2 vlan Info

Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Confirmed the WRT54G-TM v1.1 supports port-based vlans via the GUI with build 14929.

Confirmed the WRT54G-TM v1.1 supports port-based vlans via nvram with build 14929.

WRT54G-TM v1.1's ports are mapped like this:

1 2 3 4 | case labels

Info can be found here WRT54G-TM v1.1 vlan info.

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Aha! that did it man, thanks. I am also guessing (seen in the VLAN supported wiki) that tagging with the wndr3300 aint happening. I have tried to get tagging working as well, no such luck thus far, but i can atleast now get it working at the port lvl.

I made a 802.1q trunk just fine on the wndr3300 and listed it in the "802.1q VLAN's" column.

I create two trunk ports on all my routers and can create a daisy chain from the gateway router all the way to my PC and use my nic's tagging to switch between VLAN's. The routers can all ping each other on every VLAN's subnet and connecting to certain ports/VAP's will limit the client to only communicating with that subnet unless it sends it through the gateway which will then route it if allowed by the firewall.

It's not something easy to test if you're not already familiar with how it works so maybe wait for me to write a guide about trunking. The confusion with VLAN support needs to settle a bit more before I approach how to explain it well.

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
Confirmed the WRT160N v3.0 supports port-based vlans via the GUI and nvram with build 14929.

Label backwards in the GUI

1 2 3 4 | GUI labels
4 3 2 1 | Case labels

WRT160N v3.0's ports are mapped like this:

1 2 3 4 | case labels
4 3 2 1 | nvram port numbers

Info can be found here WRT160N v3.0 vlan info.

EDIT: Port maps may change due to Changeset 15062

Nothing changed and the firmware couldn't change which # is mapped to which port if it wanted to; an if statement was just split to two lines.

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
buddee wrote:
Aha! that did it man, thanks. I am also guessing (seen in the VLAN supported wiki) that tagging with the wndr3300 aint happening. I have tried to get tagging working as well, no such luck thus far, but i can atleast now get it working at the port lvl.

I made a 802.1q trunk just fine on the wndr3300 and listed it in the "802.1q VLAN's" column.

I create two trunk ports on all my routers and can create a daisy chain from the gateway router all the way to my PC and use my nic's tagging to switch between VLAN's. The routers can all ping each other on every VLAN's subnet and connecting to certain ports/VAP's will limit the client to only communicating with that subnet unless it sends it through the gateway which will then route it if allowed by the firewall.

It's not something easy to test if you're not already familiar with how it works so maybe wait for me to write a guide about trunking. The confusion with VLAN support needs to settle a bit more before I approach how to explain it well.

Excellent, i know how it works somewhat, in pfsense anyhow, that is why i was very interested in this subject, i am trying to get my dd-wrt unit to do, atleast on the basic lvl, what i could get some of the boxes i actually turned into wired routers to do.

Also great work guys, this is growing nicely! Smile

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
jumran wrote:
Just got my Asus RT-N16 back from RMA and can test command to get VLANs working properly. I want to set LAN Port 4 on separate VLAN with DHCP IP Address assigned in the 192.168.3.1 range. What command would I need to use in Telnet.

Read this page: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports

This should either put port 1 or port 4 into VLAN 3.

nvram set vlan1ports="4 3 2 8*"
nvram set vlan3ports="1 8"
nvram set vlan3hwname=et0
nvram set port5vlans="1 2 3 16"
nvram commit
reboot

After it reboots you should have a new interface called vlan3 that you can configure on the networking page to have an IP address and DHCP pool. I know people have confirmed RT-N16 supports VLAN's but it was in other threads in the past.

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ phuzi0n the trunking examples in the switched ports wiki are for gigabit units?

Edit: pretty sure they are, time to break out the E2000 and see if this is like the wrt320n

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
@ phuzi0n the trunking examples in the switched ports wiki are for gigabit units?

Edit: pretty sure they are, time to break out the E2000 and see if this is like the wrt320n

Yes they're examples for a gigabit model, but as with all of the examples you can't just copy+paste them due to port numbering differences anyways. The examples are mainly to show all the variables that have to be set, but you still have to think about how they should be set for your model.

Trunking with 100mbps models can be a bit more work because you should avoid tagging VLAN 0. If you want to remove VLAN 0 completely then there's several things that have to be done so that the firmware doesn't reset the VLAN's that I'll explain later.

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
buddee wrote:

Yes they're examples for a gigabit model, but as with all of the examples you can't just copy+paste them due to port numbering differences anyways. The examples are mainly to show all the variables that have to be set, but you still have to think about how they should be set for your model.

Trunking with 100mbps models can be a bit more work because you should avoid tagging VLAN 0. If you want to remove VLAN 0 completely then there's several things that have to be done so that the firmware doesn't reset the VLAN's that I'll explain later.

Yes i know, no copy and paste :)

Also its working on the E2000 same as with the WRT320N. well insofar for port based, still need to test 802.1q

jumran
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks phuzi0n, finally got it to work using combination of your command, startup command entries and the GUI.

Code:
insmod switch-core
insmod switch-robo

Code:
root@JC Corp Network:~# nvram show | grep vlan.ports
size: 28228 bytes (4540 left)
vlan2ports=0 8
vlan0ports=1 2 3 4 5*
vlan3ports=1 8
vlan1ports=4 3 2 8*

Code:
root@JC Corp Network:~# nvram show | grep port.vlans
size: port5vlans=1 2 3 16
28360 bytes (4408 left)
port3vlans=1 18 19
port1vlans=1 18 19
port4vlans=3 18 19
port2vlans=1 18 19
port0vlans=2 18 19

phuzi0n wrote:
jumran wrote:
Just got my Asus RT-N16 back from RMA and can test command to get VLANs working properly. I want to set LAN Port 4 on separate VLAN with DHCP IP Address assigned in the 192.168.3.1 range. What command would I need to use in Telnet.

Read this page: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports

This should either put port 1 or port 4 into VLAN 3.

nvram set vlan1ports="4 3 2 8*"
nvram set vlan3ports="1 8"
nvram set vlan3hwname=et0
nvram set port5vlans="1 2 3 16"
nvram commit
reboot

After it reboots you should have a new interface called vlan3 that you can configure on the networking page to have an IP address and DHCP pool. I know people have confirmed RT-N16 supports VLAN's but it was in other threads in the past.
Code:

RT-N16 VLAN.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.71 KB
 Viewed:  41852 Time(s)

RT-N16 VLAN.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Nothing changed and the firmware couldn't change which # is mapped to which port if it wanted to; an if statement was just split to two lines.
Gotchya, was through of by a line that wasn't changed "//fix lan port numbering on CSE41, CSE51". Guess I should have read a little closer. Smile

Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Confirmed the WRT54G v5.0 supports port-based vlans via the GUI.

Confirmed the WRT54G v5.0 supports port-based vlans via nvram with micro-plus-SSH.

WRT54G v5.0's ports are mapped like this:

1 2 3 4 | case labels

Info can be found here WRT54G v5.0 vlan info.

Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Confirmed the WRT54GS v7.0 supports port-based vlans via the GUI.

Confirmed the WRT54GS v7.0 supports port-based vlans via nvram with micro-plus-SSH.

WRT54GS v7.0's ports are mapped like this:

1 2 3 4 | case labels

Info can be found here WRT54GS v7.0 vlan info

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 19
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: