problem configuring client/repeater bridge with two WRT54G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
basix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 14:29    Post subject: problem configuring client/repeater bridge with two WRT54G Reply with quote
Hi all,

I tried just about everything for setting up a client bridge and or repeater bridge between two routers (both wrt54g). My problem is that when I join the network with my 2nd router to the first router it does not show up in the wireless status page. I tried powercycling the 2nd router twice as stated on the FAQ for synching the devices but it just does not work.

My Configuration:

1st router: WRT54g v2.0 with f/w v24 preSP2 (Build12533) dd-wrt.v24-12533_VINT_std.bin

I tried with v24 preSP2 (Build13064) on both routers as well, same result

ip: 192.168.1.1
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.254
DNS: 192.168.1.254

2nd router: WRT54g v2.2 with f/w v24 preSP2 (Build12533) dd-wrt.v24-12533_VINT_std.bin

ip: 192.168.1.2
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.1 (and tried 192.168.1.254 also)
DNS: kept it 0.0.0.0 (and tried 192.168.1.254 also)

Tried with DHCP-server enabled as stated in the FAQ, no result. Tried it with DHCP-server disabled, same result

When I try to bridge with one of the routers to a third different brand router I can succesfully join that network and everything is fine....

1st router is only connected as an accespoint to my home network, so no routing is done here by this device. I have a modem/router settting in front of these devices
who is also the dhcp server. Can this be an issue?

Or maybe these firmware builds have broken firmware for this feature?

Or maybe one of the routers is broken?

What am I doing wrong here? Any help is much appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

Greetz,
Basix
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
The VINT wireless driver doesn't support repeater modes. Your model is capable of running NEWD which you'll need if you want to use RB mode. While you're setting them up, disable all encryption to rule it out as a factor.
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
The VINT wireless driver doesn't support repeater modes.

Sure about this? I have some working fine as repeater. Do you mean it's not healthy?

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
phuzi0n wrote:
The VINT wireless driver doesn't support repeater modes.

Sure about this? I have some working fine as repeater. Do you mean it's not healthy?

It may be hardware or build specific but I tried it 2 months ago, most likely using 12533 as the OP is, and it didn't work on my wrt54gs v2. Iirc it didn't broadcast the VAP SSID but I was testing something else and didn't spend any time on it.

basix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi all,

thanks for the info.

Tonight I'am gonna try v24 preSP2 (Build12533) dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin 2009-07-22 and see what happens. Hopefully it wil work...espescially on the V2...I'll Keep you all updated.

Greetz
wrtabuser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you lowered the wireless power transmit? i had issues with mine (wrt54gl) @71mw, works best @28mw.
Can you see the first router via site survey? if yes click on join!
Also firewall, wan and DHCP server (for bridge configuration)should be disabled on second router.
Under setup, advanced routing must chose "router" not "gateaway".
It's really simple if you fallow the wiki.
If you don't need specific features chose micro-plus-ssh versions, they are allot faster on gui.
basix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

Last night I managed to get it all working Very Happy
I changed 2 things on the second router:

1) I put in router mode, it was still on gateway. Thanks for the tip.

2) Under Advanced Wireless Settings > Authentication Type > Auto and Shared Key I always put it on Shared key like being said in different turorials. But I then tried connecting with a client and everything I tried did not help. I was unable to connect with a client to the accespoints.... So I put both routers on AUTO mode and within a minute or so I had my first Repeater Bridge connection up & running Very Happy

For your information: I'm running v24 preSP2 (Build13064) standard version on both routers now.

Thanks all for your info and time.

Greetz!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: