"Merging" two routers with separate Internet conne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
JMVS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 13:52    Post subject: "Merging" two routers with separate Internet conne Reply with quote
Hello,

I currently own a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 (using firmware "dd-wrt.v24-13309_NEWD_openvpn_jffs_small.bin") and a Linksys WRT54G2 v1 (using firmware "dd-wrt.v24-13230_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin").I would like to know which combination of router / firmware will suit best for Dual-WAN. I plan to use Road Runner's Guide for this. If there's a new or better way I would also appreciate the info.
Both routers have a unique SSID and independent Internet connections. I would like to know if there's a way to "merge" both routers / Internet connections to create a "fail-safe" Internet (when one of the Internet connections fails, the other takes over and viceversa).

Thank you very much in advance.
/J
Sponsor
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 19:51    Post subject: Re: "Merging" two routers with separate Internet c Reply with quote
JMVS wrote:
Hello,

I currently own a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 (using firmware "dd-wrt.v24-13309_NEWD_openvpn_jffs_small.bin") and a Linksys WRT54G2 v1 (using firmware "dd-wrt.v24-13230_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin").I would like to know which combination of router / firmware will suit best for Dual-WAN. I plan to use Road Runner's Guide for this. If there's a new or better way I would also appreciate the info.
Both routers have a unique SSID and independent Internet connections. I would like to know if there's a way to "merge" both routers / Internet connections to create a "fail-safe" Internet (when one of the Internet connections fails, the other takes over and viceversa).

Thank you very much in advance.
/J

So you want to do load balancing, or failsafe backup? You can do both with dual WAN...but I don't know how to do it with two routers. Check out this wiki for a guide to set up dual WAN with failsafe on ONE router. As for two...that would require communication between the two, and DD-WRT hasn't been developed in that manner. I'm sure it's possible, but given the requirements for the processes involved, it would have to be done on higher end routers. I know this is done on enterprise level Cisco routers, and I've configured a few to do this, but I've never seen anything in the home market that allows two routers to collaborate and allow load balancing across each other. It could be done using three routers, but then the two directly connected to the Internet would either have to have different internal subnets or be configured as bridges.

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you're looking for a performance gain you could setup 1 router as your DHCP-server and let it advertize a static route telling all its clients to send 1 part of the Internet to 1 gateway and the other part to the other.

For failsafe:
If you know how to script you could simulate VRRP in which you have a 2nd "common" IP on both routers.... The "master" will take this common IP as long as it has Internet. If it doesn't it will release this IP. The slave router will take this common IP if it is free.... All this can be done with scripting....
Too bad for you that I don't have 2 Internet connections....

VRRP has been standardized in an RFC so it's probably working in real-life situations..
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2338.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Router_Redundancy_Protocol

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
JMVS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 15:41    Post subject: Re: "Merging" two routers with separate Internet c Reply with quote
socal87 wrote:

So you want to do load balancing, or failsafe backup? You can do both with dual WAN...but I don't know how to do it with two routers. Check out this wiki for a guide to set up dual WAN with failsafe on ONE router. As for two...that would require communication between the two, and DD-WRT hasn't been developed in that manner. I'm sure it's possible, but given the requirements for the processes involved, it would have to be done on higher end routers. I know this is done on enterprise level Cisco routers, and I've configured a few to do this, but I've never seen anything in the home market that allows two routers to collaborate and allow load balancing across each other. It could be done using three routers, but then the two directly connected to the Internet would either have to have different internal subnets or be configured as bridges.

Thank you for your reply socal87. I actually tried the Dual-WAN configuration with no luck: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=375583.
If you have any idea what I could be doing wrong it would be really appreciated.
JMVS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
frater wrote:
If you're looking for a performance gain you could setup 1 router as your DHCP-server and let it advertize a static route telling all its clients to send 1 part of the Internet to 1 gateway and the other part to the other.

For failsafe:
If you know how to script you could simulate VRRP in which you have a 2nd "common" IP on both routers.... The "master" will take this common IP as long as it has Internet. If it doesn't it will release this IP. The slave router will take this common IP if it is free.... All this can be done with scripting....
Too bad for you that I don't have 2 Internet connections....

VRRP has been standardized in an RFC so it's probably working in real-life situations..
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2338.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Router_Redundancy_Protocol

Thank you frater, very interesting links. This is the kind of thing I'm looking for (after hitting agaist the wall with Dual-WAN). I'm more interested in the fail-safe thing rather than performance.
Unfortunately, my scripting skills are rather bad. Can you please point me out a starting point for this?
Thank you!
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
JMVS wrote:
Thank you frater, very interesting links. This is the kind of thing I'm looking for (after hitting agaist the wall with Dual-WAN). I'm more interested in the fail-safe thing rather than performance.
Unfortunately, my scripting skills are rather bad. Can you please point me out a starting point for this?
Thank you!

If you can't script then emulating VRRP would be like building a ladder to the moon. I think frater really wants VRRP on dd-wrt but it's something that ought to be written in C not scripted. There is however already some failover scripts on the wiki.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual_WAN_with_failover

JMVS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:

If you can't script then emulating VRRP would be like building a ladder to the moon. I think frater really wants VRRP on dd-wrt but it's something that ought to be written in C not scripted. There is however already some failover scripts on the wiki.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual_WAN_with_failover

Thank you for your comments phuzi0n. I'm already reading the guide you posted. However there are some gaps I'm trying to fill. If you have any suggestions, they would be more than welcome.

Thank you again for your assistance! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: