WRT310N - Powerconnect 5324 Trunking help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
C7J0yc3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 0:02    Post subject: WRT310N - Powerconnect 5324 Trunking help. Reply with quote
1st post after lurking for a long time, so first thank you for all the knowledge I have gotten from here so far, but I'm really stuck and need some help.

Alrighty so here is the situation. I have a WRT310N and a Dell Powerconnect 5324 switch. I would like to get a 2GB trunk between the router and the switch mostly for redundancy. I am running v13064 on the WRT310N. I had configured the ports on the router to be trunked, and configured a static lag for ports g1 and g2 on the switch (the ports where the two cat5 cables come into the switch). I figured this would be enough, saved the config on the switch and router, restarted both and started testing. For normal internet and remote desktop this works fine, however it has caused streaming media to start stuttering, and doing ping tests using 128byte packets its dropping packets. Configure everything back to before using the 2 connections and everything goes back to normal. To anyone who has done this before it would be awesome to get some help. I currently only have 1 VLAN so it should be a very simple strait forward setup. If needed I can post configs.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gigabit switches don't have support for reconfiguring VLAN's yet. You're stuck with the default config. By plugging two cables in without proper VLAN support you've likely created a switching loop that is creating a broadcast storm hammering both devices.
C7J0yc3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you mean the DD-WRT gig switches don't have proper VLAN switching? just making sure as my powerconnect is a layer 2 switch that switches VLANs just fine
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, the internal gigabit switches in Broadcom based routers are what I was referring to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: