Site survey doesnt work but wiviz shows routers available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
baileywon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:24    Post subject: Site survey doesnt work but wiviz shows routers available Reply with quote
worked fine for two days then laptop could nolonger see my router. DD-wrt v24 sp2 (07/21/09) wivis shows routers avail. but site surveyy shows none.Laptop no antenna shows router im after. My build with 16dbi antennas cant see them. Any suggestions?
Sponsor
baileywon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 19:05    Post subject: worked for awhile Reply with quote
worked all this last weekend but stopped on monday thinking maybe im on a weak signal i can only get on weakends. Did notice two routers with same name on same channel on wiviz still nothing showing in site survey. Hey is anyone out there? Havent hear back on original posting.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wiviz constantly refreshes so it has an easier time displaying routers with weak signals. If it doesn't show up in site survey then the signal is too weak for a connection. Wiviz shows the signal if you click on them as well.

Make sure your antennas are pointed towards the AP correctly. How long is the pigtail?

baileywon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
sorry if i take this in reverse but what is a pig tail. If "ap" is primary router then wich of two antennas or both do i point towards "ap". Also why do wireless networks show on my laptop no external antenna and router build with 16dbi dual antennas show nothing? Thank you for taking the time to write back. Now somtimes my router works and sometimes it dont. could it be that there is two primarys out there same name? where i live there are sevral people same last name and they are using their last name as router name and i can see more than one at times with same name.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
IF you can't control the ssid being used by others, you should not be stealing their signal.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
robert-e
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is not called for: eg anyone who wants to use my wifi signal can and will NOT be "stealing"; but they cannot control what ssid I use on it. Think.
Regards,
Bob
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
We have had this debate here before. Your analogy does not reflect the op. If you wish to allow others to use your signal, that is your choice, but you can't say that everyone who has an open signal is doing the same as you. So yes it is called for - Forum rules are clear. No support for taking someone's signal without their knowledge and consent. And that IS the definition of stealing. And it is illegal in most places.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: