Mapping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
gpzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 0:11    Post subject: Mapping Reply with quote
Please tell me if I put this in the wrong area of the forum. This is the closest I can find to my question.

What I'm trying to do is map a network drive on the computers on my network using my Linksys wrt 54g with DD WRT on it. I was looking in the scripting section of the site, but all I could really find was info on mounting the share that would be connected directly to the router (via USB).

We have 2 Desktops, one with 7 RTM, the other with Vista Home Prem, and two laptops with 7 RTM on them.

I thought about using a Windows Server VM but, not all PCs are on to allow that to work, and if I want to play a video game, I would want to shut down the VM.

I know I can use Windows to mount it itself (on the PC or laptop itself). But as far as the laptops are concerned, they will throw a fit about not finding it once we're off the network.

Does anyone know if there's a script for this type of thing? Does DD WRT just use Perl? Could I write a Perl script to do this? Or will only specific script variables work?

Thanks!

Justin
Sponsor
mixmasta
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
You really aren't describing what you are trying to do to well.

You want any computer that connects to your router to automatically map a network drive?
gpzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:09    Post subject: Mapping Reply with quote
Yes, I want any pc connected to the network to get the network drive mapped. I would prefer a script to do this on the router itself so that if the laptops are on another network, like a school network, they won't give us the annoying error pop ups when it cannot connect to the shared drive.
tijeff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is not something a router can do out of the box. This is on the OS level on the client(your home Pcs) side. Big network manage this by having novel server or a windows domain server. This is not somthing you can do from a simple DHCP router

Please correct me if I'm wrong
cptbob123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
You would need to connect to a domain for this...

So the question is, can dd-wrt have samba installed... if so you can use a router with dd-wrt installed.

Sorry the answer isn't there but hope it helps you het to where you need to get to...
tijeff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:56    Post subject: Oops Reply with quote
I didn't know samba could act as a primary windows domain controller. If samba can fit in the router , your project may be feasible

Have a look at :
http://www.freeos.com/articles/3842/

and
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:fr:official&hs=0qQ&ei=Lwy6SvGCI4rANYfcod0P&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=samba+as+windows+domain+controller&spell=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: