A few Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ParellelSpider
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 16:09    Post subject: A few Questions Reply with quote
I have a linksys WRT310N. The thing is a piece of crap, it's always locking up which requires a reboot of the router. I've noticed that DD-WRT is compatible with my router so I'm going to install it. I just have a few questions about specific features.

Can it block websites to specific MAC addresses (for example blocking youtube to my cousins laptop)?

Does it have a bandwidth monitor to tell me how many GBs I've used per month?

I'm looking at the VPN option but if these features aren't available in that firmware let me know. VPN is optional.
Sponsor
ParellelSpider
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've done a bit of research and noticed that you can block websites to specific computers. I'm just curious about the bandwidth monitor now.

Also do you think that DD-WRT can help me with my routers freezing problem?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Moved to the broadcom forum, be sure to read the announcements here. Yes dd-wrt has a monthly traffic graph with per day and monthly stats.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/demo/Status_Internet.asp

ParellelSpider
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry...

Has anyone had these freezing issues with this router? If so did dd-wrt fix it for you?
pbix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had many problems with freezing and rebooting of routers using stock firmware, not your specific model but others by DLink and Linksys.

I think you will be very happy with the stability of DD-WRT and I encourage you to try it. Since I have installed DD-WRT I have not had a single such event and it has been a big relief.

You can view this forum and see there are no complaints about stability.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a 310N. I didn't run stock firmware on it long enough to compare. Haven't seen a reboot problem, but it does run hot.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
ParellelSpider
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a feeling I will be very happy with dd-wrt. Assuming I don't manage to brick my router.
ParellelSpider
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
So what build should I go with? This router only supports the three builds (mini, standard and VPN). Will vpn have all the above features plus VPN or does it have less features because of memory issues?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
ParellelSpider wrote:
So what build should I go with?

No one can answer that but you. Start with the trailed 310 build and see whether that meets your needs.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
ParellelSpider
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got dd-wrt to install. However it's not applying any of my settings. The only luck I've had so far is changing my SSID. I tried blocking youtube, I added my PC to the DMZ and I enabled wireless security, none of which worked.

It remembers my setting because when I go to the webui the fields are filled in properly with my settings, but it just isn't putting those changes into effect.

Do I have to do something like a power cycle after every change I make?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Time to read the peacock thread......you have to hit apply, not just save.
ParellelSpider
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
*facepalm* I had read it right up to that point. Good thing I read it at all, or else I'd have a very expensive paperweight.

I guess this is going to take some getting used to, but the good news is that when I woke up this morning I didn't have to reboot the router (like every other morning leading up the dd-wrt). So I can already say that my router is more stable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: