[UNSOLVED!]How do you unbrick when JTAG doesn't work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 22:05    Post subject: [UNSOLVED!]How do you unbrick when JTAG doesn't work? Reply with quote
I have a wrt54g-RG (same hardware as a TM). I was working on getting the CFE and wholeflash off of it using a buffered wiggler jtag. Yesterday, I used a standard jtag to get the wholeflash (thankfully) as I could not get the wiggler working properly.

This router has stock firmware on it.

So, today I notice that I have one flashing power light, and at the other end, the five lights (LAN and ?) are all on solid. Typical brick.

So I pull out my jtag and try to jtag it. Unrecognized CPU error. (This is the same router that tjtag recognized just yesterday.). I have tested the cable and it is working. Tried pinging and get "Destination Host Unreachable" pinging 192.168.0.1 from 192.168.0.7.

I resoldered all of the connections. Tried all my jtag cables. No luck.

I tried serial and there is no output to the serial console, suggesting that the CFE is bad. I'm going to try the recovery mode tricks, but this one has me stifled.

I cannot jtag it. Any ideas on this one?

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."

Last edited by Murrkf on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:50; edited 4 times in total
Sponsor
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
You try shorting pins? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:

It's not quite "next" but it's close. First I'm going to try recovery mode methods, then I'm going to pull the header and if that doesn't work, at THAT point unless someone comes up with something brilliant (you didn't BTW Laughing ) I'd consider pin shorting.

EDIT: Okay...I've tried all the recovery tricks. I pulled the header and resoldered in pins so I could see from both sides. The instant I plug it in, the lan lights are lit and the power blinks quickly.

I'm at a loss here.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:

It's not quite "next" but it's close. First I'm going to try recovery mode methods, then I'm going to pull the header and if that doesn't work, at THAT point unless someone comes up with something brilliant (you didn't BTW Laughing ) I'd consider pin shorting.

EDIT: Okay...I've tried all the recovery tricks. I pulled the header and resoldered in pins so I could see from both sides. The instant I plug it in, the lan lights are lit and the power blinks quickly.

I'm at a loss here.

Oh I didn't claim it was brilliant, was just joking BTW.I think pin shorting is very bad.

Does the Probeonly work now that you's resoldered?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pin shorting will do nothing if the CFE is bad or corrupt, it is acting like is has a currupt or missing CFE. it will also do this if there is a bad setting in nvram, like a wrong overclock...

But why you could jtag it one day and not the next seems strange, can or have you tried a different power supply ?

I have had other routers act the same way...I just sit it to the side for a day, and then try it again later...sometimes, for whatever reason they get hot..and will not do anything.

Strange, 5352's are normally very easy to unbrick

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have multiple routers with the same type of power supply, and I have tried several.

I can't get a probeonly response. I haven't really done anything with the router other than try to get the wiggler working. I had the pins in wrong. I might have reflowed the solder on the header joints between when it was working and when it stopped. However, I have redone them again and it still doesn't work.

I haven't flashed anything to the router, either firmware or anything with jtag. I haven't erased anything either. Last thing I did that worked was backup the wholeflash for a second time.

I haven't tried plugging it in and then -probeonly right away.

Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you do, use -probeonly /noemw

with this router, also add /wiggler if thats what your using

NOTE: I have had a few routers get stuck like this, strange and I do not know what it is, but what I did was to probe it with /nodma instead of the correct switch, knowing it would fail....and then probe againn with the correct switches...this brought it out of its braindead state, some I have had to do multiple times....

And I know you already know this, it's not normal behaviour after a backup

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am just glad we got the CFE off of it! NOW it's just a challenge! :lol:

Here's the output I get:

C:\>tjtag3 -probeonly /noemw

==============================================
EJTAG Debrick Utility v3.0 Tornado-MOD
==============================================

Probing bus ... Done

Instruction Length set to 5

CPU Chip ID: 11111111111111111111111111111111 (FFFFFFFF)
*** Unknown or NO CPU Chip ID Detected ***

*** Possible Causes:
1) Device is not Connected.
2) Device is not Powered On.
3) Improper JTAG Cable.
4) Unrecognized CPU Chip ID.

68Firebird
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:13    Post subject: Re: How do you unbrick when JTAG doesn't work? Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Tried pinging and get "Destination Host Unreachable" pinging 192.168.0.1 from 192.168.0.7.

Could it be that the routers ip address has changed?
Maybe try pinging some different ip address using a different subnet.

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:

*** Unknown or NO CPU Chip ID Detected ***

*** Possible Causes:
1) Device is not Connected.
2) Device is not Powered On.
3) Improper JTAG Cable.
4) Unrecognized CPU Chip ID.

5) Giveio.sys not loaded.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try a different computer if you can.
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf, I have WRT54G-TM that acts similarly but mine I've noticed after it gets hot, it (CPU) stops being recognized by tjtag. After I allow it to fully cool down it works again. Sadly, I see no issues with the capacitors and I'm not sure what else to do with it. Maybe it's a faulty CPU for me at this point.

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shawn360 wrote:
Try a different computer if you can.

That's on the list. Thanks. I read most of the 54 pages on jtag. I saw that works for some.

@LOM- I always load giveIO, properly. I actually made sure that everything was working, by sucessfully doing a probeonly on another router, then switched the cable onto this router, plugged it into the same cable, and...got the undetected CPU. Thanks

The only hope that I can see is that I can somehow smarten the router up, as tornado indicated (which I tried a couple of times) or that I will find that somehow something is wrong in the header connection, although I have resoldered the pins in...using loose pins so I could see both sides. I will also remove all the solder and inspect everything, and then try again.

@68Firebird-Pinging was a blind hope, just to see whether there was any response at any time. I did nothing to this router....didn't configure it at all, nor had a I attempted to load firmware on, as I was going to test tornados utility on it. But, when all the lights are on in a router, no one is home. Thanks anyway.

I might also try the freezer trick....just for giggles.

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:

@LOM- I always load giveIO, properly. I actually made sure that everything was working, by sucessfully doing a probeonly on another router, then switched the cable onto this router, plugged it into the same cable, and...got the undetected CPU. Thanks

And that you withheld but is telling us now.. Smile

That basically points to the jtag pins, your soldering of them, or a totally fried router.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
And that you withheld but is telling us now.. Smile

It was implied! Laughing

I have spent many hours on this. I have done lots! I agree with your final assessment...something faulty in the router, or something faulty in that header.

I was trying to get my wiggler working at the time, and tried various connections. Wiggler is powered so it can do more damage, I would think, then a passive jtag. However, the router is behaving exactly like it is bricked.

@Mordak- Sorry I missed your post. I did see in my research that you seemed to have a similar issue. Didn't know it works after a cooldown. Perhaps the freezer trick is not so off the wall...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: