Debrick WRT54G V5 - V8 - Even when all hope is up!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware

Did this de-bricking method work for you?
YES
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
NO
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

mattkocmut
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 18:22    Post subject: Debrick WRT54G V5 - V8 - Even when all hope is up! Reply with quote
Tried all the tricks on google to debrick? Can't get a 192 IP (only a 169 auto assigned)? Nothing working to debrick even when you use the right firmware?

Try this, it worked for me. I was following a guide on my V8 and loaded vxworkskillerv8.bin. After this I was supposed to use tftp to load the dd-wrt bin, but the router was bricked, only the eth1 light would come on and in NO WAY could i connect to it to load the software.

After I loaded that binary, the router was useless, and no lights came on unless the ethernet was connected. The router would only give me a 169.235.1.2 Ip address which windows auto-assigns and provides no connection between the pc and router. Thus not allowing any connection to load any firmware onto the router.

If you perform these steps you can force a load onto the WRT.

1.)Disconnect all ethernet cables
2.) Hold down the reset for 30 seconds
3.) Remove the power cord, still holding down the reset for another 30 seconds
4.) Connect the power, still holding the reset for another 30 seconds.
5.) Go to Network connections on your pc, select your network card and click properties
6.) Click TCP/IP Config and select properties. Click Assign and IP Address

IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Sub: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

7.) Now connect the ethernet to the router in a lan slot, and unplug and re-plug the power

8.) Have TFTP ready with the proper IP, and factory or DD-WRT bin, when the router powers on (make take up to 1 minute) your network card will force the router to take the 192.168.1.1 for a minute, giving you a gateway to load the binary. Give 10 retries if you have to and click load.

As soon as the router loads, it will take on the IP and it will take the binary file via TFTP.

I tried every other method on the internet all failing, when I did this it worked perfect and am now running DD-WRT.

If you need help de-bricking your WRT54G I am more than happy to help.

Email: matt@solutionswindsor.com[/u]
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Matt....

You just posted a normal procedure for installing dd-wrt firmware. Your router wasn't bricked. If it was, all the lan lights would be on, and there is no way you could upload the firmware through tftp....you'd need a jtag cable.

If you were getting 168 auto assigned, it was because you didn't manually set the ip, like you were supposed to.

This is not a debricking process, it is the normal tftp process.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."

Last edited by Murrkf on Thu Oct 23, 2008 19:52; edited 1 time in total
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
The unit did not have a DHCP server running on it...that is why you had to assign a static IP to it.

Bricked on a V8 unit is either all Ethernet leds on....or ALL Led's off (including the power..on a V8 )

Glad to hear you got it running....lessons learned...lessons remembered....let us know if you need anything.

Remember...the only stupid question....is the unasked one.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
the guides i read on this site did not state that you must set a static ip.

and did not state that the binary had no dhcp.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wiki is pretty clear on this....

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash

"make sure that you have a fixed IP address in the same network as router (example w/picture)"

Anyways...you got yours working and that is what matters.

Cheers.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can't blame a guy for trying to contribute & help others.

mattkocmut:

Nice Thread.. Donno about the pole though Shocked Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Can't blame a guy for trying to contribute & help others.

I agree. Sorry if my tone appeared rude. Just didn't want more misinformation confusing people.

Apologies.

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hate Noob's too... Razz

Just kidding.. A little dd-wrt humor Very Happy .

We were all noob's at one time :oops:

Gotta check the wiki though. I have embarrassed myself more than once. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
I hate Noob's too... Razz

Just kidding.. A little dd-wrt humor Very Happy .

We were all noob's at one time :oops:

I still am! (I think my first post was less than a month ago!!!)

vilapur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:03    Post subject: wrt54g v5 come back from death Reply with quote
I write this to thank mattkocmut, he is a genius!! Very Happy , i've just bring my v5 wrt54g back from death...
The history is this... i wet my v8 router so it's broken Sad , so i bought a v5 one and i flashed it with dd-wrt, the flashing process worked perfect Smile but i was setting the network so i reboot it some times, after the las reboot i lost connection... i reboot it and i notice that all the 4 eth led's were on Evil or Very Mad , and it has no lan conection... it was bricked!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad or at least seems to be that. It didn't work no matter how many times i reboot it, i've also tried reseting holding 30 seconds reset button, didn't work. After i reading this post i thought why don't try that? so i've tried my friends procedure and magic!! it works!! Laughing (the diference is that you still hold reset button after power cycling for another 30 seconds).
Syntomphs:
Power led flashing after power cycling and then on.
eth1 to eth4 permanently on.
No LAN connection.
Press cisco button and it turns on (this is good because it means that the processor is working, i say this because in my v8 router even if i press the cisco didn't turn on because it was definitively broken and all eth lights on)
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:00    Post subject: Re: wrt54g v5 come back from death Reply with quote
vilapur wrote:
(the diference is that you still hold reset button after power cycling for another 30 seconds).

Again, normal TFTP procedures.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash

Then do a 30/30/30

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

Navigation

Jump to: