DD-WRT, is it right for me? (Stability & Hardware questi

Vicey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:55    Post subject: DD-WRT, is it right for me? (Stability & Hardware questi Reply with quote
I apologise for signing up and straight away not contributing to the forum and instead asking a very general question but I have some really specific requirements and I'm hoping a nice kind poster could assist!

At the moment I am using an Airport Extreme by Apple but I need something more stable. I am hosting a few services through servers connected to this router and the load on the router is causing it to crash every so often.

So my question is, how stable is DD-WRT and how much of an affect does the Hardware it is running on bare on stability? (After removing hardware defects, heat related issues from the equation). And finally is the x86 implementation more stable? or preferred or are all the versions born equal?

I'm looking to buy a new router with a Gigabit switch This is pretty much the only requirement apart from it being pretty beefy and able to take a high load. Any recommendations in the hardware department that work in synergy with DD-WRT are very welcome. Stability is paramount to me at this point. I do not need any kind of Wireless included within this router and I only need a minimum of 3x1Gbit Ethernet ports.

And of course it would be silly to make a topic without mentioning some kind of budget. So my budget for a router is £300 GBP / $500 USD / €345 Euro / $535 CAD / $588 AUD

I have included so many conversions as this is after-all the world wide web and I'd like to make it as easy as possible for anyone who stumbles on my thread to assist. And genuinely thanks for any advice it is really appreciated. Wink
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
read:
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Navigation

Jump to: