100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Never would happen
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

ruffsl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:17    Post subject: Concept: DD-WRT + adhoc + iPhone = happy friends /w WiFi Reply with quote
Non-abridged Question:
Concept: Do you think using your iPhone as a mobile hot-spot to show some love for you iTouch friends (or any WiFi user) with a standalone adhoc created by the iPhone like tethering, using ether DD-WRT or Tomato with their web GUI (or app) would be a COOL idea?
I've also pinged some other folks over at iphone-hacks forums, however i need advice and some DD-WRT expertise.

Now I didn't dig any further than a few googles, but this idea struck me as I was biking with my friends. We stopped and I checked for any other friends nearby, I’m the only one with a phone on me, but I’m also the one from out of town so my “BF” list was small there, although the others had iTouchs and Zunes and ect. And I thought the obvious; this would be easy if I could share my interwebs with all of them so we could all search our contacts quickly. I’ve read this how to:
http://www.popsci.com/node/3829
and this one
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6575&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
The later was cool, not so much relevant.
What makes it easy:
iPhone has more CPU power and memory than your average router
Just url to 127.0.0.1 and config your security and other settings
No need for any tweaks on the client side
Both are Unix based
What makes it tricky:
Porting it over
Arm processer, not Broadcom or Atheros harware, I think
Is iPhone wifi firmware capable of adhoc
Other thoughts:
DD-WRT or Tomato may be over kill, but I bet you I'd try to use every darn setting. (openvpn client any one?)
Of coerce, this might have already have been done, in which case just point it out here. Or if not, lets give it a try.
Needless to say, let's keep it free and Open-Source!
Sponsor
ruffsl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found the same concept is possible with android on Google Code:
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether
one step closer.
ruffsl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found that its possible with "Mywi" :D
However, its not opensource :'<
So, the search goes on...
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT is a whole OS, I doubt you would want to replace your iPhone OS with another one just to get tethering...
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
DD-WRT is a whole OS, I doubt you would want to replace your iPhone OS with another one just to get tethering...

I think they mean port it to an iphone app, and that would take one hell of a developer if not a miracle worker. But linux apps run on *bsd so it wouldn't be impossible, just impractical. Windows mobile phones can do this already also, I think I would go android or winmo and not reinvent the wheel.

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
autobot wrote:
I think they mean port it to an iphone app, and that would take one hell of a developer if not a miracle worker. But linux apps run on *bsd so it wouldn't be impossible, just impractical. Windows mobile phones can do this already also, I think I would go android or winmo and not reinvent the wheel.

Not when they're tied to the linux network stack. An app would be a totally different product than what DD-WRT is and would have to be written from scratch.

Also to the OP, why do you care about open source on your iPhone? Apple is one of the most restrictive hardware vendors on the planet.

autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:

Not when they're tied to the linux network stack. An app would be a totally different product than what DD-WRT is and would have to be written from scratch.

You think I don't know this, an iphone has a bsd tcp/ip stack which is similar in nature to linux. What I was talking about was something in the mannor of porting qemu and running ddwrt inside a virtual environment on a hacked iphone. I know you can't simply port an os to an app. Just because they have a iphone they can't care about open source? I also said it would take one hell of a developer.

BrainSlayer Builds

ruffsl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thankyou autodot,
and I should have specified hacked iPhones. About that virtual environment, could I just select certeren daemons I would like to run, like the html server for easy access to configs, and stuff like DHCP server and a stuff for broadcasting a ssid and making an adhoc, or does that have a lot to do with kernels, witch i assume would be rather hard to manipulate in the iPhone.
I may be getting a little broad here, but what are the layers of dependency's of DD-WRT. I use Ubuntu and ask if there are any major difference between that, DD-WRT, and maybe mac (or iPhone)?
Thanks.

P.S. It may be cool to run DD-WRT on ubuntu, and save me some recent trouble with webmin.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
autobot wrote:
You think I don't know this, an iphone has a bsd tcp/ip stack which is similar in nature to linux. What I was talking about was something in the mannor of porting qemu and running ddwrt inside a virtual environment on a hacked iphone. I know you can't simply port an os to an app. Just because they have a iphone they can't care about open source? I also said it would take one hell of a developer.

Similar in that they're both networking stacks? BSD doesn't have netfilter and all the linux networking apps that interface with the linux kernel.

Even if it were virtualized, I haven't seen any kind of virtualization that gives full control over the hardware. It usually emulates generic hardware and doesn't have a direct interface to anything.

My point is that there is already an option available that does tethering and someone willing to buy from Apple clearly doesn't care exclusively about open source. The only available product is closed source and I don't see why they would hesitate to use it.

autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:

BSD doesn't have netfilter and all the linux networking apps that interface with the linux kernel.

No it uses pf as you know. You wouldn't need the linux apps to function as it would be emulating mips hardware which qemu does. I said why reinvent the wheel, which we do agree on. Qemu has already been ported to iphone (which I dislike - iphone that is) and have system 7 (os7) running so I know the right dev could do what the OP wants. This isn't broadcom related for sure so I think it should be moved to the general forum.

You got me on the stack I suppose, but I bet Linus had a good long hard look in the beginning.

Basically ruffsl you will just have to wait and see if qemu for iphone is released and go from there.

BrainSlayer Builds

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
autobot wrote:
This isn't broadcom related for sure so I think it should be moved to the general forum.

It always has been in general. Laughing

I really wouldn't count on anything happening. Use what's available.

autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lol how the hell did I get in the general forum, stupid blackberry Smile

BrainSlayer Builds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: