Everything you Ever Wanted to know about Serial - TTL

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
this forum is my start page for some time

Qualification for HO status!!!

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't have contact with Mac OS X yet, so I can't help...

I think I'm becoming a Ho... I spend my time hitting refresh on forum's page, dream about modifying firmwares and addicted to router mods. Is there a cure?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by barryware on Wed Aug 19, 2009 14:54; edited 1 time in total
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay...well I determined that my serial/usb cable was HL-340, not FTDI, and it took me an hour to find that out and get a driver for it, but now it is showing up in Windows on Port 6.

So...now what?

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Okay...well I determined that my serial/usb cable was HL-340, not FTDI, and it took me an hour to find that out and get a driver for it, but now it is showing up in Windows on Port 6.

So...now what?

So now.... Set hyperterminal or putty to use com 6.. If other com ports are not being used, you can change the com port to any lower unused port but com 6 works.

The serial com parameters for linksys are as follows:

Baud 115200, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit... I'm not sure about flow control.. "None" as well as "xon/xoff" works for me.

The attached pic is a "quicky" hookup. Something I only need for a minute. Care must be taken with this.. The "clips" can fall off. That is not desirable. If the device will spend any time on the bench, I use different wires. I will post that in my "double post"

Last edited by barryware on Wed Aug 19, 2009 0:04; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
For "long term" testing I use a different setup. These wires allow for the stuff to be moved around without risking wires falling off or shorting. The previous setup, care must be taken not to disturb the connections.

REAL CARE must be taken to make sure (triple check) that you have not mistakenly hooked up the wrong wires to the wrong terminals.. Put VCC to a data terminal, you just may f$ck up the data lines if not worse. I've done it, not on a router. The PLC still worked be the serial communication was GONE!

I have also been "PM'd" a few times asking where I get my supplies..

Wires (jumpers) from here:

http://www.robotshop.us/netmedia-jumper-wire-kit-1.html

Headers from here:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DHS-6/2-X-6-DUAL-ROW-.1-SNAPPABLE-HEADER/-/1.html

Last edited by barryware on Wed Aug 19, 2009 14:55; edited 2 times in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by barryware on Wed Aug 19, 2009 14:55; edited 2 times in total
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Holy cripes those are tiny alligators. Is the standard spacing of the serial connection on the linksys router the same spacing as on the serial interface? And is that an adapter you have that is white in one of the pictures?

I think I would like to use a four pin cable between the serial interface and the router.

AND...I can't find HL-340 drivers for the MAC. I understand that FTDI chips have Mac support, but I can't find them for HL-340...

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
KeithB
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was gonna mention it, and BW's pictures show it clearly: old 3.5" floppy drive power cables fit very well on those 4-pin connectors. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Holy cripes those are tiny alligators. Is the standard spacing of the serial connection on the linksys router the same spacing as on the serial interface? And is that an adapter you have that is white in one of the pictures?

I think I would like to use a four pin cable between the serial interface and the router.

AND...I can't find HL-340 drivers for the MAC. I understand that FTDI chips have Mac support, but I can't find them for HL-340...

Yes... The "white" device is my ttl-serial adapter. The serial header showed is on a V8. It is on the normal 0.100 spacing. The clips just make it look small. Those clips, are the type you push the fat end, and a little hook comes out of the other. You grab your pin with the hook. They are spring loaded.

I don't use a standard cable because as you will find out, the pinouts are not the same on all routers. Linksys goes: 1=vcc, 2=tx, 3=rx, 4=n/c, 5=grd. If it has two serial ports like a TM, the pin numbers are different, but the order is the same. Two rows of 5 pins. Each row is the serial pinout.

I always test between vcc & ground with a volt meter before I actually make a connection if I am unsure.

Last edited by barryware on Wed Aug 19, 2009 14:56; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
KeithB wrote:
I was gonna mention it, and BW's pictures show it clearly: old 3.5" floppy drive power cables fit very well on those 4-pin connectors. Smile

Actually... My adapter didn't come with that header. In an earlier link, they were bare holes. That is exactly what is is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Where's Murrkf.... I'll bet he is in the middle of getting his new toy working, then fubaring his router, and can't connect to the internet to report. Razz

Probably taking apart the hi-def flat screen to get a header or jumper... Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay. Got my serial setup, and downloaded Putty. Went to the serial selection and told it those settings. Now what. Go to terminal and hit open?
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you are all set, just hit open and see what happens. I'm curious Razz
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
with your serial console running... boot the router & watch.

Navigation

Jump to: