Very slow wireless LAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
iamthejeff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:19    Post subject: Very slow wireless LAN Reply with quote
I had DD-WRT v24 installed on my Linksys WRT150N for over a year and I always had very slow wireless lan transfer speeds. Regular internet was fine, as I often maxed out my incoming connection speed. Transferring files between computers on wireless was always very slow, often averaging around 500-700 KB/sec, which is significantly slower than my max download speed. Wired lan transfers were blazing fast, only wireless was slow.

Today I upgraded to v24 sp2 hoping it would fix the problem, but it still exists. After upgrading, I reset the router to default settings and then reconfigured the wireless settings. Still painfully slow.

I have 3 computers in the household, one using XP, and two using Vista. They have an Atheros AR5007EG adapter, a D-Link DWA-130 Wireless N USB adapter, and an Intel 4965AGN adapter, respectively. They all suffer the same problems, despite achieving very high download speeds.

My wireless settings are as follows:

Mode: AP
Network: Mixed
Channel: 11 - 2.462 GHz
Channel Width: 20 MHz
TX Power: 71 mW
ACK Timing: 100
Encryption: Enabled, WPA2 Personal, AES

Wireless Packet Info:

Received (RX): 100% 571098 OK, 10 errors
Transmitted (TX): 100% 619035 OK, 108 errors

Right now I have two computers connected to the network:

S: -66 N: -89 SNR: 23 Quality: 33%
S: -79 N: -89 SNR: 10 Quality: 18%

Right now both computers are upstairs, and the router is in the basement. Though I've tried moving them both within close proximity of the router, and transfer speeds are still slow. I've messed with all kinds of wireless settings including trying different channels, but no luck.

The only thing I can think of is that I have 2.4 GHz cordless phones that might be interfering, though I never experience lost connections or high packet loss, even when attempting to transfer a file.

Pretty much everything else is set to default settings. I am at a loss here as for what to try next.
Sponsor
eleze14
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
see if this tips can help you.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=56231
wireless with try 40 mhz.

i m not an expert but i ve been learning something in here
eleze14
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
eleze14 wrote:
see if this tips can help you.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=56231
wireless with try 40 mhz.

i m not an expert but i ve been learning something in here

i meant Channel Width: 40 MHz
Skydiver
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please try to set your TX power to 28mw.
The standard 71mw is a little high and can produce interference on some devices.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
no luck guys Sad
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use inSSIDer to see if there are any neighboring APs broadcasting on the channel you're trying to use. Select the channel the farthest from the strongest signal. Pay attention to the noise floor, too; if you have a lot of noise then there isn't much you really can do, a lot of consumer devices use the 2.4GHz band.

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do a HARD reset on the router and reconfigure it. Read the peacock announcement for basic configuration issues and information. Pay particular attention to note 7.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
fortunado
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 21:28    Post subject: Re: Very slow wireless LAN Reply with quote
iamthejeff wrote:
Encryption: Enabled, WPA2 Personal, AES

Jeff I'm having a similar problem and I'm still troubleshooting it, but basically I get really really bad wireless performance until I turn encryption off.

Now I'm using my netgear WNR834B v2 as a universal wireless repeater. Anyway I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in hopes that we can both find a solution.
Radioman193
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Skydiver wrote:
Please try to set your TX power to 28mw.
The standard 71mw is a little high and can produce interference on some devices.

High ??? Rolling Eyes
the 150n is 17dbm factory
28 would be about 14dbm

That would NOT help it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: