HELP: Build web server w/ DNS working like Top Level Domain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
paintballer92
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:37    Post subject: HELP: Build web server w/ DNS working like Top Level Domain Reply with quote
I have a Linksys wrt350n. On my router I have a USB port Id like to run as a web server. Not only that but Id also like to go as far as broadcasting it out to the internet.

Id like to refrain from using an online DNS service... but do i really have a choice? And is there any way to set up MY OWN online DNS service? (as in... myname.myname.myname for DNS vs. going to a site that hosts where it'd be myname.theirname.theirname?)

Heres my setup

wrt350n --> Client Mode Router ---> ISP ---> Internet

I understand the basic concept of port forwarding and all, but Id really like my own dns placement. Im not necessarly requesting that i be a "top level domain server" or anything... like i dont want a .com or .net ... but is there anyway I can come up with my own DNS and somehow link it to the big WAN of an internet and have people be able to access it out there?
Sponsor
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:07    Post subject: Re: HELP: Build web server w/ DNS working like Top Level Dom Reply with quote
paintballer92 wrote:
... but is there anyway I can come up with my own DNS and somehow link it to the big WAN of an internet and have people be able to access it out there?

Yes, that is called "Domain Name Registraton". It can be had for a few dollars a year. Avoid GoDaddy and especially Network Solutions.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=register+domain+name

Then you need to purchase a static IP address from your ISP and point your name to your IP address.

As far as running a webserver from your router, you would have more fun in the barn huffing mule farts. Just use a computer. Web hosting functionality is built into Windows.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
phuque99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't see a reason running "personal" DNS server versus using one from your ISP. Is there something that you wanna do? Running your own DNS only make sense if you're hosting your own domain and running your own servers.

If you need to look for other other host names, like dd-wrt.com or google.com, your own domain name server will need to make a forward connection out on the Internet anyway. Your ISP's DNS server is more efficient at doing that over a USB-DNS-server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: