Can't connect to AP in Repeater or Client Mode..Help Pleazzz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
cybercreeper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:21    Post subject: Can't connect to AP in Repeater or Client Mode..Help Pleazzz Reply with quote
Here's the problems....
I have free WiFi in my area. Don't have much info on the WDS that's sending the signal out. Don't know where there at either. So pretty much i have no control over them. Now i have a Linksys Router that I have set up as a Repeater in my room with this tutorial
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Wireless_Repeater.

Any ways i have the lates DD-WRT V24sp1 installed and a flat panel 15dbi with extension cable installed outside my room to pick up the signal better. (Router inside room, antenna out side). The problem is that i can connect to the AP but don't have any internet access. I look in the "Status>Wireless" Tab and see that i'm connected to the AP but under the "Status>WAN" Tab i have no IP Address. What am i doing wrong.

I have changed the routers ip address to 10.0.0.1 thinking maybe it was an ip problem, changed from repeater to client, reset the router, I have reset router 30/30/30 and did the tutorial again several times thinking i probably did something wrong along the way but still same problem. It has connected a hand full of times but drops the connection and again no IP address shown in the "Status>Wan" (it did show ip address in Status>Wan when it did connect)I'm not very knowledgable about routers. Plz help.

Router is a Linksys WRT54G
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you wish to access one particular hotspot, that article isn't the right one. And SP1 won't work.

Take a look at the peacock announcement.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
cybercreeper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 16:22    Post subject: What version do you suggest then? Reply with quote
what version do you suggest then, and where is this peacock announcment you speak of. i did a search and i found many peacock post. which one is it.....?
Blazian
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just read the whole Peacock Announcement. Just Look at the top of this Forum it is right there. Wink
WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 18:32    Post subject: Re: What version do you suggest then? Reply with quote
cybercreeper wrote:
what version do you suggest then, and where is this peacock announcment you speak of. i did a search and i found many peacock post. which one is it.....?

See the link in my signature.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
cybercreeper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 19:43    Post subject: Hmm... Reply with quote
Well from what i read on the peacock thread...i guess i'm using an unstable version right? (v24sp1) i need to upgrade to build 12533, a hard reset 30/30/30 and do the repeater setting all over again....is that correct?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 19:49    Post subject: Re: Hmm... Reply with quote
cybercreeper wrote:
Well from what i read on the peacock thread...i guess i'm using an unstable version right? (v24sp1) i need to upgrade to build 12533, a hard reset 30/30/30 and do the repeater setting all over again....is that correct?

It's a start. I am liking the 12548 build, but SP1 will NOT work. I would also use the repeater settings linked to in the peacock, not the ones you linked which are for a different type of setup. Not even sure those ones still work with the new builds.

And don't just do the hard reset, follow step one carefully. Did you click on the link at the end of note 1 and see what happened to THAT idiot?

cybercreeper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
going to put 12548 on it and give it a try..

I have the WRT54g v2.2 with v24sp1.

I hope I don't brick this sucker...I'll let you know tomorrow if it worked.
cybercreeper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 0:35    Post subject: seems to be working.... Reply with quote
Well i upgraded from v24 SP1 to v24 Pre-SP2 (eko 12548)everything seems to be working fine except that it connects to the first newtwork it finds. I did the Wlan repeater set up provided form the Peacock thread but my problem is that i have three AP's with the same SSID and i want to connect to the stronges one. Usually it does but sometimes it will connect to the weakest and the internet is really slow. how do i make it connect to a particular AP if i have three with the same AP SSID. Do I follow the AutoAP Wiki Article?
for example:

nvram set autoap_macfilter=""

then add the Mac Addresses that i don't want it to connect to. example i have three SSID's with the same name, but only one of them works really well. so i would add the other two mac address i don't want it to connect to right?

Thanks..
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you can't ask the source to change their ssid, then you shouldn't be taking their internet. Assisting to steal internet is against the forum rules. So, knock on their door and ask them to change to a different ssid.
cybercreeper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
If you can't ask the source to change their ssid, then you shouldn't be taking their internet. Assisting to steal internet is against the forum rules. So, knock on their door and ask them to change to a different ssid.

I never said I was stealing it. Maybe I didn't make my self clear. This is free WiFi. And no i don't have access to the AP's and i can't have them change their SSID's just to please me. I'm trying to accomidate to them because it's free I can't ask them to accomidate to me when i don't pay....(Hater!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: