BUG: openvpn --redirect-gateway does not work (does nothing)

MB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 23:20    Post subject: BUG: openvpn --redirect-gateway does not work (does nothing) Reply with quote
Hi,

I get openvpn to work. It sets all of the vpn routes correctly in the routing table (and this is also shown correctly in the logs).

The problem is with "redirect-gateway". This command is supposed to do 2 things:

1. delete the default gateway
2. and then add the vpn as the default gateway

But it does nothing. There is no output/error in the logs. Nothing. (the vpn routes are set correctly, but not the default gateway).

I have tried with "redirect-gateway" in the vpn client config file and also "--redirect-gateway" on the command line.

However, when I replace the gateway manually it works (deleting the default gateway and then adding the vpn as default gateway on the command line works) (this is with "route del" "route add").

I have this problem on a linksys wrt610n router and also on a PC with the x86 version of dd-wrt (latest 24sp2).

I have searched this forum for the past 4 days, and seen that several other users had the same problem (redirect-gateway not working/doing nothing).

So my questions are:

1. how can I get this to work?

2. does anyone get "redirect-gateway" to work? If so, what version of dd-wrt are you using?

3. is there another way to go around this problem? using the firewall? how? (my wan is on eth0 192.168.0.1 and lan br0 192.168.2.1)

Code:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.2.1/24 -o tun0 -j MASQUERADE

Does not work (it worked on the wrt610n but now doesn's work on the x86 version - and I now need the x86 version because the linksys CPU is to slow for high speed vpn encryption)

Part of the problem is also that I am connecting to a commercial vpn. It's a vpn cloud, so my vpn ip and vpn gateway are changing every time my vpn connection restarts. So, as I don't know the gateway ip in advance I can't setup a startup script to replace the default gateway.

So to me "redirect-gateway" is the best way to go about this. If only it would work.

Could anyone please help me out?

Thanks.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's a crude way of doing it in your firewall script.

ip route change default via $(ip route show dev tun0 | grep via | cut -f3 -d' ')

MB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are a genius. This works fine, thanks a lot.

But I still have a problem with this:

When the vpn connection is dropped, openvpn will automatically reconnect. And when this happens, I will more often than not get new vpn-local ips (local and gateway ips can change)

Is it possible to have this command issued automatically when openvpn reconnects (or when the vpn gateway ip changes)? This would make a nice & complete replacement for "redirect-gateway".

... as this is a router I'd prefer not to have to login to issue the command manually every time this happens.

Thanks.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try it in your firewall script, if that doesn't work then see http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Script_Execution
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: